Windows XP and ram

2»

Comments

• I tryed looking on CompUSA's website and it's not listed. I think it's just some overstock they were trying to get rid of at the store.
  • I'll still get a Walmart PC someday. :)
  • That's a great deal, TCP.

That would be really hard to beat buying it seperately, even from a place like Tiger Direct.
  • Theses days I perfer buying part by part. I can't stand barebone kits and OEM systems. They don't come with all of the hardware I want to use.
  • I like barebones. Its reall just the mainboard. I dont really give a shit about the case unless its ugly or too small.
  • Barebones are nice, they're the price of the mainboard and you get the ram and cpu for free.
  • Install Linux, and there won't be any problems!
  • You not just paying for the mobo. When I use to buy barebone kits I would see a nice one for 300 bucks (this was back when new computers cost a thousand and up) and I would find the same mobo for 150 to 160 bucks.
  • That Linare PC sucks. It says it has a Duron onboard, so its probably a Pcchips M810 series with onboard duron. that means you cannot replace the cooler or the cpu, because its soldered to the PCB. And Pcchips boards are the crappiest things around.
  • Ugh, I thought it said "Intergrated CPU and RAM"

And IM thinking.. CPU AND RAM STUCK THERE?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Then you cant ever change anything! YOu can get a BETTER Microtel Computer Systems PC for less than that Linare.
  • That Linare PC sucks. It says it has a Duron onboard, so its probably a Pcchips M810 series with onboard duron. that means you cannot replace the cooler or the cpu, because its soldered to the PCB. And Pcchips boards are the crappiest things around.

A dude at my school bought one of those where the cpu was soldered on. He thought they meant by the mainboard that comes with a CPU on it and was replaceable.
  • They don't build CPUs into the mobo thses days. I think its still done with some laptops. I've seen some mobos that come with built in memory but iit also has a few memory slots for adding ram.
  • I've seen some mobos that come with built in memory but iit also has a few memory slots for adding ram.

I have that on my Apple LC-III.
  • Thats OLD.

My Apple //e has this old 1MHz Mostek in it
  • PCCHIPS M810CDLU

http://www.pcchipsusa.com/prod-m810dlu.asp
    m810dlu-large.jpg
    Hey look! no AGP slot. onboard sound, onboard CPU, onboard cooler...
    except for the ram theres NOTHING you can change about this thing... it looks like they used this board in the Linae. didn't the Linare had integrated graphics?integrated LAN and sound?
  • Now-a-days most PC's all have integerated video with AGP Slot, integerated sound, integerated LAN.

Usuaally the onbaod video is shared and is replace by a PCI card.
  • PCChIPs Suck anyway... what do you expect from them?
  • PCCHIPS M810CDLU

http://www.pcchipsusa.com/prod-m810dlu.asp
    m810dlu-large.jpg
    Hey look! no AGP slot. onboard sound, onboard CPU, onboard cooler...
    except for the ram theres NOTHING you can change about this thing... it looks like they used this board in the Linae. didn't the Linare had integrated graphics?integrated LAN and sound?

speaking of no agp, i laughed when i saw this, some socket a mobo with, u guessed it, an ISA slot.

lemme find that board.
  • It's 21 Century!! It's the generation of graphics, 3D stuff, etc... But why on modern motherboard there is NO AGP???
  • i think in future they will add onboard integrated RAM!
  • Slash wrote:
    i think in future they will add onboard integrated RAM!

That'd be just like them, those legacy free MBs are soo poor. I mean, Slash is right, unless they have a PCI Express slot maybe...

-Q
  • Slash wrote:
    i think in future they will add onboard integrated RAM!

I do have a crapaq with some integrated ram, but you can still add some via dimm socket, but theres only 1 dimm socket.
  • Thats OK with one DIMM. Just stick in a 64M, 128M or whatever and you got RAM.

My old 486 has 8MB onbard but then I addded 4 8MB sticks.
  • Thats OK with one DIMM. Just stick in a 64M, 128M or whatever and you got RAM.

My old 486 has 8MB onbard but then I addded 4 8MB sticks.

im not quite sure but do you have to buy the special compaq memory or not?

and im not quite conserned about the memory or anything else in it cuz its my bro's pc and he can deal with what he gets.
  • Compaq doesnt need special RAM, just matched pairs of EDO.
  • Compaq doesnt need special RAM, just matched pairs of EDO.

ok, and its not like im gonna do work on that peice of shit. im probly gonna junk it and give my bro my old 850.

he gets the hand-me-up computer parts. :)
  • Thump wrote:
    Boy this really feels good. I had a little trouble and had to install twice but XP is installed now. But, out of 128 MB of ram I've only got only 24.38 MB free. I'm just doing this to test my 200 dollar computer so I guess I can get by long enough to test it. I'll just have to type slow.

You should add at least a little more RAM to that system, XP is probably begging for it.