Windows media player

IanIan
edited June 2004 in Software
Is it possible to get rid of windows media player or is it definitely an integral part of the operating system? Just curious.

Comments

• Ummm... I think you could get rid of it at Add/Remove Windows Components... but I think it just removes all access to it, like the icons.
  • try xplite, it might be able to remove it.
  • Yea, but be careful, XPlite can send Windows South RealFastNow if you're not careful.

-Q
  • I DID remove WMP in XP. Using just the add/remoce programs applet.
  • After i removed WMP Winamp gave an error on startup, and it couldnt play WMA's anymore. So I was forced to reinstall it, because winamp starts on windows startup.
  • Aww, evil Microsoft at it again. Oh well, I'll just leave it be then. I'll just delete the icons, I don't like the player anyway, might as well get it out of my view.
  • Yeah just delete the icons and pretend it never existed.
  • I don't think WMP is that bad, but then again I haven't used WinAMP in a while.
  • WMP is useful sometimes... but I try to use Winamp no matter what.
  • I like wmp. and im sure fish had a heart attack when he read what i just said.
  • The best versions of WMP I think were 6.4 and 7.1.
  • 6.4 was the best.
  • When you remove WMP from add/remove programs, you just delete an icon on desktop, quicklaunch, and Start menu. It doesn't uninstall the WMP! And in XPLite there is no such options to remove WMP. So your only chose is to have WMP installed!
  • Well, let's not forget the The European Union forced MS to ship a ver of Windows WITHOUT WMP, maybe someday we'll all use that...

-Q
  • Slash wrote:
    When you remove WMP from add/remove programs, you just delete an icon on desktop, quicklaunch, and Start menu. It doesn't uninstall the WMP! And in XPLite there is no such options to remove WMP. So your only chose is to have WMP installed!

Or delete your dllcache, then WMP's files.

6.4 was the best.

Yeah, after that it got bad..... and I went WinAmp when I realized how good it is.
  • Yea, after 6 they god all DRM'd up and crap. Since I just use a Mac for playing stuff, I use QuickTrash and MPlayer.

-Q

PS. We went to the Appl store in CrapUSA the other day, and the main demo machine had 2 errors on it, the Apple version of the infamous 'Application and crash and send a bug report to Apple'
  • Well, let's not forget the The European Union forced MS to ship a ver of Windows WITHOUT WMP, maybe someday we'll all use that...

Let's hope.
  • Microsoft had a great scandal with RealOne Inc. about Windows Media Player. They have paid a lot of money to RealOne to shut them up. And why they did that? Why they can't understand that their WMP is sucks? No one uses it!
  • TopherNet uses it.
  • Roger wrote:
    TopherNet uses it.

Yes. Yes I do. Does anyone have a problem with that?
  • Nope. Don't have a problem.
  • Roger wrote:
    Nope. Don't have a problem.

Good.
  • Have any of you heard of Zoom Player? Windows Media Player is truely awful, it's really slow and hogs a lot of system resources.

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/zoomplayer_download.shtml

Excerpt

"Zoom Player was designed from the ground up to load quick, take as little system resources as possible, provide user feedback/direction as appropriate and maintain as much isolation from other applications and system components as not to undermine overall stability."

As long as you have the codec, Zoom Player will play the file. I can watch Quicktime and Real media formats as well.

And if you have Vobsub installed, Zoom Player will display any .sub, .srt (etc subtitle file).

Another feature is you can quickly choose what screen aspect ratio you want to use as well as selecting which audio channel (for different languages) and which subtitle channel (for different subtitles) to use. It doubles very nicely as a DVD player in this respect.

It's very customizable and don't forget it was designed to be fast and use as little of the system resources as possible unlike Windows Media Player which is just evil.

Quick Topher! Try it out!
  • Let me guess, its just an add-on for WMP, like MyIE2 is :P
  • FishNET650 wrote:
    Let me guess, its just an add-on for WMP, like MyIE2 is :P
    No, I don't think so. I've used it some weeks ago, I think it is much quicker than WMP and has less bugs. That's one of the greatest players, it works even on Pentium100MHz!
  • I used WMP 6.4 on my 100MHz / 64MB / 3.6GB / XP Pro
  • LOL, you STILL have XP on that?!

I use 6.4 and WinAMP on all of my PCs.
  • FishNET650 wrote:
    I used WMP 6.4 on my 100MHz / 64MB / 3.6GB / XP Pro

omg how slow does that pc act with xp pro on it.
  • LOL, I had XP under 128MB once and it was like 98SE on a 486
  • I had Win98 on a P90 with 24mb ram, and it ran winamp fine, and windows did work perfectly. no lag at all.