Windows 10 is Evil! (Split from: Other forums)

13»

Comments

• I never actually got OS X running in vmware, but I did it it to run in virtualbox once.

I plan on getting putting my Win7 PC in to a dual-boot environment:
    -Windows 7 for games
    -Slackware for everything else. I would like to try FreeBSD, but it lacks wireless drivers and Pale Moon doesn't have any official (1st party nor 3rd party) builds for it.

As for those complaining about the W10 hate, it doesn't get enough hate.
  • garirry wrote:
    Linux is a UNIX-based system. I think he meant Linux/Mac by UNIX-based system.
    I thought by UNIX he meant BSD and System V based systems... Linux is based off of Unix, that I do know for a fact.
    Also wpblogheader have you ever tried those applications in WineHQ?
  • birdy wrote:
    garirry wrote:
    I thought by UNIX he meant BSD and System V based systems... Linux is based off of Unix, that I do know for a fact.

It's based off SysV design, but not any SysV/UNIX code.
  • stitch wrote:
    birdy wrote:
    garirry wrote:

It's based off SysV design, but not any SysV/UNIX code.
    Yes. They aren't UNIX-based, they're UNIX-like. I believe they re-wrote BSD at some point to remove the SysV code. Linux doesn't have any UNIX code in it - UNIX was a proprietary operating system. That's the origin of the GNU Project, "GNU's Not Unix!". GNU and Linux began as a project to create a free (as in freedom) version of UNIX. Boy did they succeed.

There were also versions of UNIX that were licensed from AT&T, such as Microsoft/SCO's Xenix. But they were all proprietary.
  • Since there has been a lot of scorn towards this, which most of it seems justifiable from what has been said, I've been wondering... would Server 2016 make an ideal alternative to this? I know it is a server-based OS but at least it doesn't have the crap Win10 has such as a better-looking Start Menu and such. Another thing that may sound outlandish is a modified version of the OS, when I remembered that you can download the installation media for it into a 2GB ISO that Microsoft can let you do and someone could remove some files from its contents that are responsible for what we hate about it, even the spying.

Also, this is the year the OS is to get a wave of major updates in June and October and even when they do occur, will we still hate it or will Microsoft actually listen to our cries and make it truly "the best Windows ever" that they kept saying since it came? Even so, it may be too late. Only time can tell.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    such as a better-looking Start Menu and such

It's all over.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    would Server 2016 make an ideal alternative to this? I know it is a server-based OS but at least it doesn't have the crap Win10 has such as a better-looking Start Menu and such.

Maybe I'm misreading that or maybe you're mistyping that... but Server 2016 has the same startmenu that 10 does. But as far as I know, it does lack the same spying and privacy invasion.

It's certainly not a new idea to use the server edition instead of the desktop edition. It was quite popular back in the XP / 2003 days as 2003 tended to run a little faster given that it didn't have quite as much bloat compared to XP.
    Bry89 wrote:
    Also, this is the year the OS is to get a wave of major updates in June and October and even when they do occur, will we still hate it or will Microsoft actually listen to our cries and make it truly "the best Windows ever" that they kept saying since it came? Even so, it may be too late. Only time can tell.

I really hope so. Although rare, Microsoft has occasionally listened to its customers and made changes accordingly. What I'm afraid of though, is that not enough people are bothered by it to stop using it and make any kind of difference. If people keep upgrading to 10 despite the privacy issues, then there's no incentive for Microsoft to change.
  • The vast majority of the general public don't *care* about privacy issues. If they did Facebook and google would go unused.
  • We need a new Nathan Lineback to fix this. Remember what he did to Win98?
    BOD wrote:
    The vast majority of the general public don't *care* about privacy issues. If they did Facebook and google would go unused.
    That's why I got the fuck off Facebook.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Maybe I'm misreading that or maybe you're mistyping that... but Server 2016 has the same startmenu that 10 does. But as far as I know, it does lack the same spying and privacy invasion.
    I was referring to the last Technical Preview of it and funnily enough, I happened to stumble across that same image Doqtor Kirby provided today so... guess I'm wrong now. Oh well.
    BlueSun wrote:
    Although rare, Microsoft has occasionally listened to its customers and made changes accordingly. What I'm afraid of though, is that not enough people are bothered by it to stop using it and make any kind of difference. If people keep upgrading to 10 despite the privacy issues, then there's no incentive for Microsoft to change.
    Well they had to listen when people bitched about Vista, and were fuming over 8. We'll just see what happens in months time.
    We need a new Nathan Lineback to fix this. Remember what he did to Win98?
    You mean 98lite? I happened to know of that recently also... from what I read it had improved Windows 98 very well, even with just the simple removal of IE.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    You mean 98lite? I happened to know of that recently also... from what I read it had improved Windows 98 very well, even with just the simple removal of IE.
    No... that was Shane Brooks. Nathan was the one who made the IE-De Integration lab. See http://toastytech.com/evil/lab.html
  • Bry89 wrote:
    No... that was Shane Brooks. Nathan was the one who made the IE-De Integration lab. See http://toastytech.com/evil/lab.html

A web page without HTML5, JS, Flash, Java, embedded audio/video, ads, etc, etc.... just as a website should be.
  • dosbox wrote:
    A web page without HTML5, JS, Flash, Java, embedded audio/video, ads, etc, etc.... just as a website should be.
    This explains the problem with the "modern web".
  • BOD wrote:
    The vast majority of the general public don't *care* about privacy issues. If they did Facebook and google would go unused.

I think they care more than you think, the issue is that they think their Facebooks and Google searches are private. They tend to have an unreasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to social media sites...

However, they should have a reasonable expectation of privacy when it comes to their operating systems. I think most people don't care about their OS as long as it works and does what they want it to do.
  • Whoever approved of jumping the kernel version number from 6.4 to 10.0 is a freaking dumbass. Because that is the exact reason why Virtual PC and many other kernel-mode applications don't work on Windows 10/Server 2016, If I had to use Windows 10 on my 7 computer I'd rather use the last version with the 6.4 kernel (Which is 6.4.9883) than use the RTM. Why on earth would they do this shit? The world may never know but I think it was to intentionally break compatibility with those apps.

As far as Movie Maker goes, There's a way to get it to work on 10 by copying it from a 7 or 8.1 installation, Renaming the main executable from "MovieMaker.exe" to "Movie Maker.exe". And set it to Windows 7 compatibility mode. But I wouldn't bother, Because I already switched to Mac and the latest iMovie is better than what any Windows Movie Maker version could have been. I just need to get Photoshop and then I'm all set to use it as a main computer and forget Windows 10.
  • To sync the version and kernel number. Also note Windows lies about the version number to applications - since 8.1, applications from before 8.1 are always told they're running on NT 6.2.

It's not a big deal at all - VMware Player and VirtualBox are both free and superior to VPC.
  • ampharos wrote:
    It's not a big deal at all - VMware Player and VirtualBox are both free and superior to VPC.
    Losing VPC is not a big deal to me (I never used it), but the people who frequrently use it should, as you said, switch to the better supported and maintained VIrtualBox.
  • Another thing that is concerning me about this is the potential sharp drop of 7's market share because next year, support for that will end for computers with a Skylake processor., which also applies to computers with 8.1. Then again, I don't know how many computers would have this processor although, as what BOD said before in another thread, 7 may have a good chance on surviving past its EOL like what XP's doing. Especially when I'll be starting work this year and I don't want this shitty OS hindering my career path in the near future, and that would be the same for others wanting to work in the IT sector also.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    Another thing that is concerning me about this is the potential sharp drop of 7's market share because next year, support for that will end for computers with a Skylake processor., which also applies to computers with 8.1. Then again, I don't know how many computers would have this processor although, as what BOD said before in another thread, 7 may have a good chance on surviving past its EOL like what XP's doing.
    I knew Microsoft was going to cut Windows 7 and 8.1 support to earlier than planned, Luckily this only applies to those who have computers with Intel Skylake CPUs like you said, Not only that, Anything newer than Skylake will only support Windows 10 regardless if it's Intel or AMD. I'm still using a good ol' Q6600 on my 7 machine so I won't be affected. Not every new computer has a Skylake CPU. Last I checked Apple was still using Haswell on most of their systems.
    ampharos wrote:
    Losing VPC is not a big deal to me (I never used it), but the people who frequrently use it should, as you said, switch to the better supported and maintained VIrtualBox.
    Yes, I agree with you that VMware Player and VirtualBox are better than Virtual PC, Although some older operating systems (Specifically old Windows betas before Whistler, And Windows NT 3.51/4.0) work better in Virtual PC, But I suppose I could use PCem for those instead since it's gotten stable enough to work with NT as a guest OS, Plus I know a version of PCem that doesn't do time sync if you need to use a beta and can mount ISOs by itself without any drive emulators, So it's taken care of.

I think I've said enough. Time for me to go back to what this site is about. Which is old software and hardware, Not discussing every issue with Windows 10.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    Another thing that is concerning me about this is the potential sharp drop of 7's market share because next year, support for that will end for computers with a Skylake processor., which also applies to computers with 8.1. Then again, I don't know how many computers would have this processor although, as what BOD said before in another thread, 7 may have a good chance on surviving past its EOL like what XP's doing.
    I knew Microsoft was going to cut Windows 7 and 8.1 support to earlier than planned, Luckily this only applies to those who have computers with Intel Skylake CPUs like you said, Not only that, Anything newer than Skylake will only support Windows 10 regardless if it's Intel or AMD. I'm still using a good ol' Q6600 on my 7 machine so I won't be affected. Not every new computer has a Skylake CPU. Last I checked Apple was still using Haswell on most of their systems.
    ampharos wrote:
    Yes, I agree with you that VMware Player and VirtualBox are better than Virtual PC, Although some older operating systems (Specifically old Windows betas before Whistler, And Windows NT 3.51/4.0) work better in Virtual PC, But I suppose I could use PCem for those instead since it's gotten stable enough to work with NT as a guest OS, Plus I know a version of PCem that doesn't do time sync if you need to use a beta and can mount ISOs by itself without any drive emulators, So it's taken care of.

I think I've said enough. Time for me to go back to what this site is about. Which is old software and hardware, Not discussing every issue with Windows 10.
    Actually, this seems to be slipping into a discussion about emulation.

PCem, by the way, is probably the best emulator for old systems (Pre-2K). I actually think VirtualBox and VMware are not good for Windows 95/98. NT 3.x and 4 work perfectly in PCem. I haven't tried anything else on it, though.