Longhorn 4093 hangs at logon. EDIT: FIXED IT. Need DWM

edited October 2016 in Software
Hi, I'm new here, but I have been grabbing ISOs from this site for the past two years or so. Today I have tried out Longhorn Build 4093 on VMware Workstation 7.1.0. I grabbed the ISO from this site. It took longer than other Longhorn builds to install, but I guess that is expected because I have heard that this build is highly unstable

Thanks.

Edit: I have now fixed the problem now, I started explorer using task manager, the screen froze for five to ten minutes, explorer started, installed the drivers from longhorn.ms, rebooted and I have not had any more issues with this build so far. Now I need to figure out how to enable full DCE/DWM. I have been able to enable the explorer glass by adding the dword: MILExplorer, like on 4074, but I cannot enable the glass on the windows borders because the command: "C:\windows\i386\sbctl" no longer works because the i386 folder does not exist in this build. Would it be possible to port the floder form 4074 to 4093 without accidentally breaking the OS? Any other ideas on how to enable full DCE/DWM?

Thanks.

Comments

• You can't get DWM in 4093, at least not the normal way, sbctl.exe doesn't exist. But try running this: c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\user32.dll DwmStartup (not sure if it works, but it may).
  • ovctvct wrote:
    You can't get DWM in 4093, at least not the normal way, sbctl.exe doesn't exist. But try running this: c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\user32.dll DwmStartup (not sure if it works, but it may).

I can't use that command, it throws an error saying: Caution ... You are attempting to open a file of type "Application Extension" .dll

Longhorn does not seem to know what to do with the file.
  • ovctvct wrote:
    You can't get DWM in 4093, at least not the normal way, sbctl.exe doesn't exist. But try running this: c:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe c:\windows\system32\user32.dll DwmStartup (not sure if it works, but it may).

When I run the those commands, a window pops up saying: Caution ... You are attempting to open a file of type "Application Extension" .dll

And then I'm given the option to chose a program from a list to open the .dll. Longhorn doesn't know how to execute user32.dll. This has also happen on other longhorn builds (403X in particular).
  • Yeah, but i also have an issue with longhorn, build 4039.
    I installed the os, then i used ctrl alt del (right ctrl del in virtualbox) and then i just see the flash of an "M6" background, brings me back to login
    And i tried logging on as a different user, same thing

Thanks!
    CommodoreMan64
  • Yeah, but i also have an issue with longhorn, build 4039.
    I installed the os, then i used ctrl alt del (right ctrl del in virtualbox) and then i just see the flash of an "M6" background, brings me back to login
    And i tried logging on as a different user, same thing

Thanks!
    CommodoreMan64

Did you set the bios date to: 27.08.03?
  • Call me an idiot, but i don't know hot to change the bios dates in irtualbox or any kind of vm software, i can do it on a real pc, but not a vm

CommodoreMan64