Why to people hate Linux??? (Split by Q)

edited October 2004 in Software
And also, I don't know why most of people don't like Linux. Why is it so? Please post what you think about it!///

Comments

• i've never tried it but it looks cool :D
  • I have the same question. I use Mandrake 10 (yea I know it is super user friendly) and I actually enjoy it's stability! It has been running for 2 months now. I soon plan to download fedora core 2.0 (yea I know I have 56k but I am still DLing it)
  • people hate it cos they don't like change windows was thier before linux.
    whoever gets there first always wins
  • Linux is much stable than Windows, there are no "copyright" or "licence" problems. No warez for Linux... Isn't it great?
  • Slash wrote:
    Linux is much stable than Windows, there are no "copyright" or "licence" problems. No warez for Linux... Isn't it great?

Oh contrair.....

If you tune Windows right, its just as stable as Linux.
  • Linux is better than Windows anyway.
  • For servers....

But you cant beat Windows when you need a good desktop OS
  • For ALL purposes!!!!
  • But you cant beat Windows when you need a good desktop OS
    Some Linux distributives are easy to use and they can be used as a desktop OS for n00bies!
  • Nah, unless you mean Lindows
  • Well, Mandrake is kinda too, t has wizards for everything. You can even set up a FTP and web server in less than 5 mins.
  • less viruses for linux
  • For the usr who does practically nothing (Look @ pages, pictures, write, print and Email) Linux can be easy. For more advanced usrs like us, the transition can be harder.

-Q
  • BOD wrote:
    less viruses for linux

That wouldnt happen in Windows if you would have some AV software :-P
  • Even so, there are fewer viruses written for Linux.

-Q
  • Why does that MATTER when you have AV software
  • IBM, you completely missed the point.
  • Yes I have
  • If you tune Windows right, its just as stable as Linux.
    What the fucking shit are you telling me?! You will never make it! As Linux supports lots of features on kernel level. And that indicates its stability. You'll never get it in Windows as its kernel is far more different than Linux.

Can't you see Microsoft want to kill us all! They make lots of security holes. So in case of international conflicts or something they will crash Russian Intenet and kill us all!! So I use Linux and hate Windows!
  • Windows' security holes are found because its VERY widely used... Unlike the unpopular Linux and Macintosh.
  • MAcOS has alot of holes
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 was attacked at the same day it was released. It's a HUGE hole in Windows! There are a lot of trojans that use WMP. It's a hole too!
    Why it is very difficult to write viruses for Linux? Because it has no security holes. Linux will NOT allow to run not installed application, just copied from somwhere. Says: Cannot find password to create process.
    Did u see sth in Windows? NO! My A$$!
  • its easy to get viruses when youner brothers randomly download stuff from kazaa and the like!
  • MAcOS has alot of holes

Where's your bibliography, young man?

Ppl find holes in Linux and apps that run on them, any OS (That has security and a network stack) will have holes.

-Q
  • AV software is useless for new virues. When a new virus comes out the AV software doesn't detect it. By time Norton, Trendmicro or whoever makes a fix for the virus your computer would already be hosed up. The all cure all is to make backups of your files every now and then (this is when CD-RWs and DVD-RWs come in handy) and make backups. When you get a virus just reformat. In a long run it's a great idea to reformat because you can reclaim all of your memory back instead of the registry hogging it all for a bunch of crap you don't even need. Also say you use a fix to get rid of a virus. You might end up having problems with windows because some system files or the registry might be hosed up. Thats only if you get a virus that does a lot of harm.

Makes me wonder what happen to the smart asses that would make virues that would distroy hardware. Now its just "Lets makes a virus that just fills up harddrive space" or "Lets make one that messes with the RPC" Really and truly thoughs are jokes. I've seen viruses that distroy motherboard BIOSes by taking over the MBR of the harddrive and when the computer boots it flashes the BIOS and adds like a formater or even blank out the BIOS.
  • all the more reason to turn on bootsector protection and bios write protection
  • It's called Heuristics, and yes it does work, I've seen it work.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    It's called Heuristics, and yes it does work, I've seen it work.

-Q

Yeah I was gonna mention it, but couldnt think of the name.
  • Don't use Windows! Don't use Windows! Microsoft will kill us someday..
  • No they wont. Why do you use windows if you hate it so much?