Why to people hate Linux??? (Split by Q)

Comments

• wierd i managed to d/l it.....
  • Q wrote:
    Linux has drivers for like EVERYHTING, they're famous for '2 day drivers'.

-Q

I still cannot find drivers for GeForce4 that work in ASPLinux 6.2
  • I am trying to find drivers for my modem (laptop) and wireless card (laptop)

Still no luck (fail)
  • is it a winmodem? mine is..... :-(
  • no, it is a connexant modem, but i dont wanna pay $15 for the drivers from linuxant.
  • edited August 2004
    BOD wrote:
    is it a winmodem? mine is..... :-(

Newer Linux distros actually work with Winmodems

I heard SuSE works with them now.
  • Newer Linux distros actually work in Linux.
    ]

wtf? that makes no sense at all.....
  • Slash wrote:
    I still cannot find drivers for GeForce4 that work in ASPLinux 6.2

Well there's your problem! ASPLinux is NOT common like RH and SuSE are.

-Q
  • no, it is a connexant modem, but i dont wanna pay $15 for the drivers from linuxant.

AFAIK, connexant ONLY makes winmodems. Winmodem isnt a brand, its the way it processes data.
  • BOD wrote:
    less viruses for linux
    and less antiviruses, cuz it is no need.
    It's difficult to write viruses for linux.
    ~Slash & Nemo :eek:
  • I know there are 2, @ least...

-Q
  • Why do people hate Linux??? Because they are Lamers!
  • Q wrote:
    I know there are 2, @ least...

-Q
    Q, can you share them with me?

Anyway 2 virs for Linux are not as 100000 for windows.

AFAIK, connexant ONLY makes winmodems. Winmodem isnt a brand, its the way it processes data.

I do know Winmodems isnt a brand, I thought that connexent modems werent Winmodems.
  • If you need drivers for your Nvidia products www.nvidia.com has them. Just have to edit your xf86config file for the video and recompile the kernel for sound, ethernet, chipset and such.
  • yay! I've done it! Using ASP 9.2!
  • I have REALLY been trying to like linux for 8 years but I dont. I like the idea of free software, I like the idea of sharing information (lets face it, if MS wanted to, they could be steeling national secretes from every country and no one would know). A lot of the distros are great at first, they set up nice, configure all your hardware (xp cant even do that), and give you a lot of programs. The trouble is when I try to install new things the headaches are just crazy. I don't want to have compile my own programs and then fumble around in command line mode only to find that I have broken some dependency and x won't start back up again. The trouble with so many distros is there is hardly any consice information. I really am not happy with any os right now. I have been using Knoppix live disk when I want to party with Linux and it dosent mess anything else up on my computer. I'll check back next year and see how it's coming along.
  • I think you should be very clever to use Linux.
    In Windows programs do everything for you. But in Linux you are like a developer... you rewrite the sources and fix errors... when it's perfectly tuned you should like it...
    As I've already said, Linux is not for n00bies...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I hate it because I cosider it "free if your time is worth nothing". and I'm not talking about freedom. I'm talking about the money.

During the time it takes to setup and configuer linux I could be doing something productive.
  • I dont have the time or motivation to sit around for hours a week while my kernel recompiles, when Windows could do everything WITHOUT recompiling the kernel.
  • I dont have the time or motivation to sit around for hours a week while my kernel recompiles, when Windows could do everything WITHOUT recompiling the kernel.
    So Windows does everything worse than Linux.
  • Slash wrote:
    I dont have the time or motivation to sit around for hours a week while my kernel recompiles, when Windows could do everything WITHOUT recompiling the kernel.
    So Windows does everything worse than Linux.

What makes you think that if all windows applications run many, many times faster than linux ones, and games are worse than imaginable in linux... I cant play games at 8 frames / second.... I need at least 15... and in Windows, I get up to 120FPS.

Windows does everything far better than Linux.
  • We've all done that before (Made fools of ourselves repeatedly). He likes Linux and I can't really blame him. While, yes, it's not in a suitable state for general public consumption, it has it's markets.

-Q
  • When you say Linux work bad for you, that means only your stupid head, not sucking distro!
    And well, can you name at least 1 thing in which Windows is better than Linux (except the software)
  • Software is a MAJOR part of computers...

Heres a few things Windows does better:

#Video / graphics... you get a FAR higher frame rate in Windows
    #Drivers; Windows uses professionally made drivers, not ones made by fat people in their parents basement
  • fat people in their parents basement

I'm getting VERY sick of hearing that completely unfounded stereotype.

-Q
  • Fish wrote:
    #Drivers; Windows uses professionally made drivers, not ones made by fat people in their parents basement

then how cum ive got drivers for my USB modem that came on the disk, written by sagem?