Problem installing Office 97 Pro on Windows NT 3.51

edited January 2017 in Software
I have downloaded Office 97 from this site(OFFICE98PRO.ISO), and tried to install it on my Windows NT 3.51 VBox VM. However, during setup I get a error:
Capture.PNG

Too much RAM? I have 32MB in the VM. I did install SP5(put the SP5 installer in C:\WINNT35 and ran it). Any ideas?

Comments

• I'd double check that the SP5 actually got installed properly. That is the only thing I know of that Office 97 will complain about on NT 3.51. It is usually quite a trouble-free installation.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    I'd double check that the SP5 actually got installed properly. That is the only thing I know of that Office 97 will complain about on NT 3.51. It is usually quite a trouble-free installation.
    How to install SP5? It was a .exe file that makes a lot of other files, I put it in my WINNT35 folder so It would put all the files in there
  • How to install SP5? It was a .exe file that makes a lot of other files, I put it in my WINNT35 folder so It would put all the files in there

This is where it's been buggered up. Now files are all over the place in the WINNT35 directory. If it was me, I'd start again and reinstall NT 3.51 back to clean up the files there.

The SP5 EXE file is to be extracted into its own directory first (i.e. C:\TEMP). With all the files extracted there, you need to run UPDATE.EXE. This will copy the files over to the correct directories and install SP5 proper.

You can confirm by using the WINVER command or just viewing Program Manager's About dialog box. After that, Office 97 shouldn't have any problem installing. Hope this helps.
  • What version of virtualbox are you using? I personally found that 4.3.8 works the best with NT(tough it's dated). 32MB RAM shouldn't be too much, my 3.51 VM has 96 MB RAM and I don't have any issue with office 97.
  • How to install SP5? It was a .exe file that makes a lot of other files, I put it in my WINNT35 folder so It would put all the files in there

This is where it's been buggered up. Now files are all over the place in the WINNT35 directory. If it was me, I'd start again and reinstall NT 3.51 back to clean up the files there.

The SP5 EXE file is to be extracted into its own directory first (i.e. C:\TEMP). With all the files extracted there, you need to run UPDATE.EXE. This will copy the files over to the correct directories and install SP5 proper.

You can confirm by using the WINVER command or just viewing Program Manager's About dialog box. After that, Office 97 shouldn't have any problem installing. Hope this helps.
    OK Thanks I'll try reinstalling