Whats your oldest PC?

edited April 2005 in Hardware
Interesting to see what old monsters people have. Everthing counts like Comodores, Ataris(not video games), and Apples.

heres goes...see if I remember it all.....

IBM PC-XT 5160
AMD 8088 @ 4.77MHz
256K RAM
384K RAM on AST sixpack card
2x 360K 5.5" floppy drives
720K floppy driver (Reads 720K, formats to 360K)
MS-DOS 4.01 off floppy
NE2000 NIC

But I NEVER use that...skipping the Compuadd 4/25MHz becuase I dont use that either and moving on the my other 486 which I actually use.

Compaq Deskpro XL 466
486DX-II 66MHz
40MB EDO RAM
2x 1GB IDE Hard Disks
2X SCSI CD-ROM
1MB S3 Trio Video Card
Integerated "Windows Sound System"
OptiAudio16 ISA card
AMD PCNet 10MBit INC
Kingston EtherRx PCI 100Mbit NIC
Windows 95B

Comments

• My oldest PC is a laptop, my old crappy 386.

Look somewhere else for the specs. I don't feel like typing them again.
  • Letsee...

Macintosh SE
    800KB FD
    20MB HD
    Macintosh System Software 6.0.5
    1MB RAM

IBM PC XT
    2 720KB FDDs
    No HD
    No OS (Other then ROM BASIC)
    640K RAM (I think)

There are others, but I don't knwo their specs.

-Q
  • 8088 4 mhz
  • Q wrote:
    Letsee...

Macintosh SE
    800KB FD
    20MB HD
    Macintosh System Software 6.0.5
    1MB RAM

IBM PC XT
    2 720KB FDDs
    No HD
    No OS (Other then ROM BASIC)
    640K RAM (I think)

There are others, but I don't knwo their specs.

-Q

What about that AT&T PC I gave you?
  • probly no better than the XT unless its like an old ATT terminal.
  • hmmm, i got a few, most of them i dont have anymore though, i'll just post links seeing i am a lazy ass!

http://www.oldcomputers.net/appleiic.html

http://www.oldcomputers.net/hp110.html

and an old zenith laptop, dunno what model.

i also have an old nextstation color monitor, i would like to get the nextstation to go with that one day, and if there is any way i could hook up this monitor to a pc let me know!
  • OH! forgot another PC!

My Apple//e, CGA Video, 64K RAM card giving it a full 128KB RAM!!!!!, 2X 128K 5.5" floppy drives, and some old Apple printer thats gay, the pinout isnt the same a P parelell port.
  • I got a couple of rocks I count with sometimes. . .

good stuff
  • There are many old compts that I have and don't know the specs to.

-Q
  • ZX Spectrum 128+
    128kb, further specs unknown
  • My frist PC and still own is a IBM 8086 at i think 4MHz, maybe slower. It has a monster of a external harddrive that is 10MBs and is the size of the PC, it sounds like a jet when its on. it has 128KB of memory and uses CGA video. I think it had some mono black and white video then it was upgraded to a CGA. At one time it was connected to the net via BBS on a external 1200 baud modem. I still remember when one of my dad's friends installed a mouse, DOS 3 and Windows 1.0. It took up most of the drive lol. When I got it I moved everything to floppys and used the harddrive for backup use. The last time I used it was back in the late 90s when a friend of mine was running a local BBS server and I finaly got a hold of a extrnal 14.4K modem.
    By then I already had three other computers running up to date programs and crap.

Remember when 4MB was like the biggest thing since sliced bread? I do, I was king of the lan partys when I had a 386 with 8MB. I still have my 386. For the longest time I would put anything in it. I have a AMD DX 386 at 66MHz with 32MB ram. I used it once before with windows 95 to host a temp FTP. Most of you might of remembered that back when the frist WinV board was around.

Think on how much computers have changed in the last 10 years. 10 years ago the fastest PC you were able to get was a Pentium Pro at 75 to 90MHz, 8 to 16MB ram, 200 to 400MB harddrive, Soundblaster 16, Trident 8900 video, 2x panasonic compatable CD-ROM, one or two 1.44MB floppys and a tape backup. All running on Windows 3.x or even NT3.x.

I still remember buying video games that would call for a 386 or a 486 at 33MHz with DOS 3.3 or higer with 4MB of ram.

Its funny on how most proplr got into computers when Windows95 came out. They missed out with DOS and CP/M.
  • Yea, I remember that and the WinV 1 board.

-Q

PS. I think you posted something like that then.
  • The oldest thing I have is a 286 board that I was told works, but have never actually tried. The oldest actual system I have is this:

Intel 486SX 25Mhz
    8MB RAM
    500MB hard drive
    5 1/4 floppy
    VGA video

But the oldest system I have that I'm really using for something would be my server:

Intel Pentium 133Mhz
    16MB RAM
    Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI 1MB video
    700MB Western Digital hard drive
    8x CD-ROM drive
    1.44MB floppy drive

Running Windows NT 4.0 Workstation w/SP6a.
  • Well, my 486DX-II 66MHz came with 40MB RAM and a 1.57GB HD, made around 1994, I think the BIOS say slike 1993. But then again, that must of costed ALOT. 40MB was like 1024MB back then.......

LOL, I some old games that need a 16MHz 386SX with 64K RAM and DOS 3.3
  • I have 2 IBM PS/1 - 25 mhz
    1 has WFWG 3.11
    1 had Win95
    I also have
    one 386
    three 486
    I would like to know if I can use them to emulate DSS for Expressvu
  • I'd have to hunt around to see what I have. Probably Commodore 64. I have an old sinclair somewhere, too.
  • My oldest computers are my groovy Commodores :)

This is my Commodore 64... it acutally has 196kb of RAM in it (thats what the switch turns on or off, because some programs get confused with the extra ram!):
    commodore01.jpg

This is my Commodore 16... original, never been modified and STILL WORKS... they were built to last back then!
    commodore04.jpg

This is my groovy Commodore 1541 disk drive... only takes 4000 years to load one 160k floppy disks :lol:
    commodore03.jpg

Who needs a PC when you have these? :)

commodore02.jpg[/img]
  • I had a commodore... i don't remember the model though... it had 2 5.25" floppy drives in the front, no HD, and the monitor connection was really funky... looked almost like an AT keyboard connector on one end, and a serial D connector on the other... very odd... very odd...
  • I had a Commodore 64 and a 128. All I had was the system and the floppy drive. About 6 years ago my best friend gave me his broken 64 with the monitor, floppy, printer, joysticks, and a mess loads of disks and carts. I don't have it anymore, I gave it to my little bro but I kept the monitor and i'm using it as a TV for the computer room. I have it hooked up though my digital cable box and A/V cable. I don't use the crapy speaker in the monitor I use some old 10 dollor computer speakers.
  • I used this old CGA/Mono/EGA monitor as a TV (cable>vcr>A/V inputs on monitor) Thing even has speakers, but they suck total ass, so I used an old amp I had laying around.....

I got a Comodore Plus/64 broken in some way or another........
  • Mine was a ProGen
    Windows 95 b. o c.
    Now updated to a Athlon 750Mhz
    With Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
  • I had a 486.
  • Well congradulations! You have a widely used computer!

-Q
  • I found me a new toy. It's a NeXT station. I need to get a monitor, keyboard and mouse for it.
  • My grandma has an old IBM XT which belonged to my grandfather, And now I can have the XT! Im gonna put my Pentium III in that old XT case. It should fit with some modifications.
    LOL@Lanpartys :D
  • There was a guy who took the XT and stuck in an AT style Pentium /// mainboard with 1GHz CPU and 256MB RAM. Now THATS a mjor upgrade 4.77-->1000 :-)
  • Yeah, thats what my XT is gonne be like. only with 500mhz on an ATX Asus P2b-F.
  • Know what you should do. Make it look like its a real XT. Make the drive face plates look like the old drives.

Get a old hard drive face plat and wire the LED thats on it to the mobo's HD led connecter and if you can paint the floppy drive face plate with a flat black. Also if you can make the CD-ROM hidden, like take a black faceplat and glue it to the drive door or or something and if you can rig up a switch that isn't noticeable so the drive can open and close.

If you want to be dangerish take a old XT monitor and gut it and replace it with a VGA monitor that has the same size tube.

This kinds reminds me of what some Apple modders used. A old Color Classic and cramed in a PPC.

It can be done but it will take a lot of planing.
  • I used to have one of those 5.26" bay adaptors that look like an MFM drive. You put a 3.5" drive in it and put the LED's on on the mainboard. I also have the faceplate off an MFM drive.
  • MFM Drive? IBM didn't start useing MFM untill the PS\2 line. You must be thinking of ESDI.