Whats your oldest PC?

Comments

• No, IBM DID use MFM and RLL for the PC and XT. At least it was optional.
  • Options that I remember are:

PC: 5.25" Floppy Drives; 10M or 20M MFM Drive
    PC-XT: 5.25" Floppy Drives; 20M or 30M HD
    XT-newner Mainboard: 720K Floppy optional.

newer mainboards: PC and XT had different types of mainboard. PC had the 16K/128K and the 64/256K. The XT came with the 64/256K, or the 256K/640K. The mostly known difference was the BIOS revisions, keyboard support for 101-key on the newer XT, supports better floppy drives (XT2 had 3.5" support) and of coarse, each one has different RAM minimums/maximum. Of cousre all this could be overridden by cheats or add-in ccards.

And thats today's history lessson boys and girls. Any queustion?
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Know what you should do. Make it look like its a real XT. Make the drive face plates look like the old drives.

Get a old hard drive face plat and wire the LED thats on it to the mobo's HD led connecter and if you can paint the floppy drive face plate with a flat black. Also if you can make the CD-ROM hidden, like take a black faceplat and glue it to the drive door or or something and if you can rig up a switch that isn't noticeable so the drive can open and close.

It can be done but it will take a lot of planing.

That was exactly what I was planning to do~! I'm gonna buy a slot-in DVD and mount it behind the 5.25"drive, and then the lever of the drive will be soldered to the switch. it has a 3.5"FDD, so I'm gonna buy a black 3.5"FDD drive and mount it behind the faceplate. More info when I have the XT :D
  • Do you actually WANT an an XT case? I got one, I dont know if I wanna give it up though. If you make a good offer I would, I could. It needs a bit of paint on the top becuase of scratches and I gotta rebuild the PSU. I can rebuild the PSU though.
  • The PSU is worthless if your going to put anything higher then a 486 in it. Just put in a new PSU unit and if you can swap out the PSU caseing. If you swap out the caseing you can easyly uew it in the case instead of rigging the newer case style in.

I'm going to cram a AMD Duron into a old PS\2 case. Lucky me that I kept most of the PS\2 hardware so I can make the system look like a PS\2 when it's done. The only problem i'm going to face is the CD-ROM. I'm going to cram the CD-ROM in it also and make it hidden an add a switch on the keyboard to make it open and close. I still have the mouse and keyboard to the PS\2 too. I have the monitor but it's a waste to use a crapy 14 inch VGA that can't go over 640x480. I'm thinking to use a old VGA monitor that came with one of my PC330s.
  • What model PS\2? You can make drive rails for the model 40, 57, 56, etc with certain sticks of RAM.

PS: I have one of those monitors too. they suck. I think I got it to 800x600 by tweaking the refresh rate, or maby not.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    The PSU is worthless if your going to put anything higher then a 486 in it. Just put in a new PSU unit and if you can swap out the PSU caseing. If you swap out the caseing you can easyly uew it in the case instead of rigging the newer case style in.

Actaully, I blew the old PSU , so I took a 120W AT style PSU and stuck the guts and shit in the XT PSU case.
  • Wait a second... my oldest pc isn't a 486! I found an Apple LCII or something like that in my closet a couple months ago. Gotta check what its model is exactly though. But I know its older than the 486.
  • Sounds like an old Motorolla 16MHz. I have an Apple\\e which I hate.
  • I have no clue what model the PS\2 is. When I got it the model crap was taken off. I think it was stolen or something.

I have a Apple //gs in parts in the garage.
  • lol. Look in the BIOS. Like when I go into my my BIOS on the PS\2 I have, itll be like "Model 40, 56, 57, 76, 77" It wont show the spcisific model, becuase slot of PS\2's used the same BIOS becuase the mainboard was so alike. Like the model 40 and 77 are alike, just different CPU's.

Those things hvae like 7" mono screens.
  • II don't know, iI need to stupid BIOS disk to access the BIOS. The case is real small the fron is wide as my keyboard. It has a 286 CPU and 4MB ram. a 1.44MB floppy and a 30MB harddrive. It has thoughs weird wannabe ISA looking buses (can't remember the name of them)
  • Well, I can check and see what it is off IBM's site or either walshcomptech.com or goodld for this dude named alfred arnold.
  • The oldest computer is a Macintosh Plus wich i use as a Web and FTP server!! My dad has a Commodore 64 with Contiki and a home made ethernet card, running as a webserver!! I
  • My dad used to have ZX Spectrum 48K when I was very little.
  • I like the look of the OS, too bad it looks dead...

-Q
  • This one is old, but not actually old [I built it two weaks ago]:

486 Mobo+CPU
    16 MB of RAM
    Old CD Drive
    Old 3 1/2" Floppy Drive
    And some other Junk.

I built this ought of parts in the bargain bin at Computer Renaissance [computer store]. I built this when I discovered WinWorld, and discovered Win 3.1 would not run on my P4 HT 3.00 GHZ CPU + some other stuff. Total price of that system 10 dollars. Now it runs all the old OS's, except Win98 that are available at WinWorld.
  • Now it runs all the old OS's, except Win98 that are available at WinWorld.

(bounce)
  • Not too much content in Fish's post, but that feeling doesn't need alot of content to be adequately expressed.

-Q
  • LOL, I did that with a PC once

Pentium 133MHz
    40Mb RAM
    8X CD-ROM
    2x 1.6GB HD's
    SB16
    Cirrus Logic 2MB PCI
    Some Compaq Netflex NIC

I think I had like 98, 95, NT4, NT 3.1 and WFWG

I actually was looking through all these old papers and found one where I drew out my partition job. (LOL, dont ask, gotta write it before I got it)
  • So far the comp I use the most right now (it's my only working comp)
    is a:
    AMD K5 PR166
    96mb ram (soon to be 160mb as soon as the 128 stick arrives)
    2x 2gb hard drive
    32x10x40 cdrw
    Sidewinder 3D Pro & Sidewinder Precision Pro joysticks
    The mobo supports USB but I have not set it up yet.
    AWE64
    3Com 10/100 NIC
    Trident pci 1mb video (soon to be a Diamond Stealth 4mb video)
    I have an old 33.6 isa modem I just put in it today.
    I dual boot 98se and DOS 6
  • My oldest PC is my

Samsung S5200 Laptop
    Intel i286 processor at 8mhz and Turbo mode at 12mhz
    33k memory or 1MB...i forget..
    33MB Hard drive
    Gas Plasma display 640x480....gas plasma means orange-redish color display...
    84 key keyboard
    No mouse or trackball
    MS-DOS 6.0 and Windows 2.03
  • 33K? Maby you werent paying attention and put the HD size down?

The gas plasme better or worse than regular mono?

(reference) gas plasma
    http://geeklog.linux-box.nl/photo/laptop.orange1.jpg
  • maybe 64k.....not quite sure...forgot it..lol

i like the gas plasma ....mono is alright...both just suck for colors either way tho...
  • What colors? LOL
  • my first computer was an old desktop

386sx running at 33mhz
    4megs ram
    120meg HD
    4X cd rom
    1.44meg floppy drive
    256kb of video ram ( perhaps im not too sure)
    windows 3.11 WFWG
  • hmmm, my oldest computer is:

Intel Pentium I (i don't know it's speed, I can't seem to turn the PC on anymore)
    16Megs RAM
    5GB HDD
    8x CDROM
    1.44 M Floppy Drive
    Windows 95

Man, I wanna go to the old computers store and buy me about5 of them. Each computer $4-$30.
  • Anonymous wrote:
    my first computer was an old desktop

386sx running at 33mhz
    4megs ram
    120meg HD
    4X cd rom
    1.44meg floppy drive
    windows 3.11 WFWG
    There was NO 386SX that could run at 33mhz.
  • What colors? LOL

Redish-Orange screen.
  • Slash wrote:
    Anonymous wrote:
    my first computer was an old desktop

386sx running at 33mhz
    4megs ram
    120meg HD
    4X cd rom
    1.44meg floppy drive
    windows 3.11 WFWG
    There was NO 386SX that could run at 33mhz.

What are you talking about? Yes there was. 33mhz was a typical speed for 386SX wasn't it?