What was your first computer?

13»

Comments

• @SomeGuy said:
    "Oh boy, that thing was slow as hell..."
    My TI-99/4a would beg to differ.

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX-81, the US version known as the Timex-Sinclair 1000 with 16k of RAM and a tape recorder for saving. Even with a text editor of my own design, the keyboard alone made editing hell. After that, the Atari with a floppy drive was a massive upgrade !

• The first computer that I ever owned was a DX4 100Mhz. I purchased it in 1996 from one of my siblings (correction: I purchased a car from my sib - and the computer was thrown in for good measure.) It had a 14 inch monitor which I then upgraded to a 17 inch in late 1997 after receiving a company bonus. That first mobo had more ISA slots than PCI slots. Only one PCI slot if memory serves me well. I then moved on to an original Pentium 200 Mhz motherboard, which had enough PCI slots to install a Diamond Multimedia V770 card along with a Monster 3D 3Dfx card. (I still have both video cards).

• There are a few that I would consider as a first computer

The first computer we used as a family (though not officially a family computer, but a work computer the family used), was what I assume to be a custom built PC (I think it was labeled LMI, not sure what it stood for though) that ran DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 (I still have the original OS floppies, the system is long gone though)

The first real family PC was a PowerSpec (Micro Center house brand) with Windows 95

My first personal computer was a Macintosh Performa 64xx (not sure if it was a 00, 10 or, 20, 6400 sounds right though)