What was your first computer?

13»

Comments

• @SomeGuy said:
    "Oh boy, that thing was slow as hell..."
    My TI-99/4a would beg to differ.

My first computer was a Sinclair ZX-81, the US version known as the Timex-Sinclair 1000 with 16k of RAM and a tape recorder for saving. Even with a text editor of my own design, the keyboard alone made editing hell. After that, the Atari with a floppy drive was a massive upgrade !

• The first computer that I ever owned was a DX4 100Mhz. I purchased it in 1996 from one of my siblings (correction: I purchased a car from my sib - and the computer was thrown in for good measure.) It had a 14 inch monitor which I then upgraded to a 17 inch in late 1997 after receiving a company bonus. That first mobo had more ISA slots than PCI slots. Only one PCI slot if memory serves me well. I then moved on to an original Pentium 200 Mhz motherboard, which had enough PCI slots to install a Diamond Multimedia V770 card along with a Monster 3D 3Dfx card. (I still have both video cards).

• There are a few that I would consider as a first computer

The first computer we used as a family (though not officially a family computer, but a work computer the family used), was what I assume to be a custom built PC (I think it was labeled LMI, not sure what it stood for though) that ran DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 (I still have the original OS floppies, the system is long gone though)

The first real family PC was a PowerSpec (Micro Center house brand) with Windows 95

My first personal computer was a Macintosh Performa 64xx (not sure if it was a 00, 10 or, 20, 6400 sounds right though)

• Our family computer was originally a Gateway 2000 P5-133, I don't remember much about it before it was gutted and upgraded to a cheap mini-ATX board with a Celeron 800MHz. Before long we got a Dell Dimension 3000 and the modified Gateway became a backup.

My first personal computer was much later with a Dell XPS M1530. Two years and one warranty claim later it became a paperweight as a result of the notorious Nvidia GeForce 8700M. After that I used the Gateway again before going through a whole line of other laptops and desktops.
  • edited August 8
    My first computer as a desktop type was brought to my home by my dad in 1989 running DOS 3.2. My memory is quite fuzzy but I do remember in 1990 my eldest brother bough a copy of Windows 3.0 and had a friend install it. Sadly, I don't remember the specs for it other than it was a 386 w/ 20MB hard disk, even if that was a real PC specs at the time. The computer died in 2003, quite a long lifespan.

It was not until 1997 my father bought a Compaq Presario 1080 and was the first laptop the family had. We all enjoyed the wonders of the laptop at the time when electronics and computing here in Chile were quite expensive. A 16MB RAM, 1.44GB HDD, Windows 95 OSR1, Intel Pentium 166MHz machine was enough for us to keep us entertained for many years to come.

Sadly in 2006, the laptop died and languished in oblivion and disrepair... until 2016, when I found an exact Compaq Presario 1080 notebook and purchased it in eBay. Got it in a few days and swapped old for new. Once again I had my trusty machine with life, the exact same one I posted about a few years ago here., now with 48MB RAM, a new 1.44 HDD and reinstalled a new factory copy of the model.

It was during this time I became a retro notebook collector, since the 90s computing was by far my favorite decade, and have as of now an approximate of 70 notebooks and PocketPCs in my apartment.