How much space do you waste (system restore)

edited September 2004 in Software
Well after looking at my defragmenter list of most fragmented files, I realized it is almost always system restore files. I went to system restore to find out how to delete checkpoints, well I didn't get that exactly, but by limiting the amount of space system restore can use I got rid of last months many checkpoints and saved 3 gigs.

System restore by default is set to use the max of 12% of your hard drive, I dropped it down to 5% and I have 3 restore points from this month. (I'm using a 40 gig hard drive)

So tell me, do any of you tweak your system restore to save space?
Hell do you even use system restore?
I know that I personally never use it and saw no reason to continue keeping that many restore points for last month and slow down windows.

Also, if anyone knows of a program that lets you delete specific restore points or at least gives more control over system restore please let me know.

Comments

• Well, I use it cuz it saves me sometimes* and I tweak it to use about 8% of the hard drive. I use a 120GB hard druive, so i think it wont be that much space**

*sometimes it makes the situation worse
    **it takes about 9GB
  • I NEVER use it, thats one of the 1st things to go when I clean out the services list.

-Q

PS. The problem is, it's in an early state and rather fragile.
  • when i only have a 20GB hdd i don't bother just backup stuff regurly and you shouldn't have any problems...
  • That's a crap! Useless! I never used that! It never restored my system after an error, actually.
  • System restore is not gonna take 20gb shit on my hdd. i turned it off as seeing how it cant do shit.
  • LOL, I i nstalled NAV on ce and it fucked Windows so I had to use System restore.

Well, it never happened again. I turned it off after I fixed NAV and never had any problems since
  • I disabled the service :P
  • Me too. When I was under XP, of course!
  • Oh, well, I've used it a few times, always to fix gayol when it breaks (again, and again, and again) and all it does it make things worse, cause it says it can't restore the aol folder, so instead it makes a copy of all of aol's files, and then you try to use aol from either of the folders and they say the main idx file is corrupted... which really sucks cause there's isn't a backup of it or something which makes gayol so gay that it doesn't think of fixing it's own problems, but it can install spyware and have it's computer checkup delete all your network settings, clear all your temp files(some of those were keepers ^_^) and then too many other things that scared me so I turned the computer off before it kept going. To make things worse, you have to sign on to aol to turn the computer checkup on for it to turn aol off......

Yeah..excuse that large block of shouting...getting cable and doing the last ventings of aol that I can.
  • w00t w00t look finally getting cable.
  • I don't use it. When windows is fucked up I just kill the complete installation, format the drive and start again.
  • I usually just reinstall/repair

Sometimes a fresh format is good
  • crash crash crash piece of crap crash ( my system restore)
  • Nope... don't use system restore at all.
  • Roger, me too!...

Wow! Roger is back!!
  • Yep I'm back!
  • OMFG!!!
    Windows put a system restore section on my portable hard drive.... The hell with that, I don't need to wind the clock on a storage drive...
  • LOL, I thought you disabled it
  • After this all I dunno why this thread is in Windows NT forum. System restore was also in WinME!
  • Slash wrote:
    After this all I dunno why this thread is in Windows NT forum. System restore was also in WinME!

he probly used sys.restore in winxp. noone uses winme.
  • Yup, that's correct. No one uses windows Me. And I have XP which is why I wrote about XP's system restore here.
  • I don't like both Me and XP.
  • ME is OK, it never crashed on me.

Its built for older PC's. Becuase people who get it OEM has problems with it.

I put it on a 120MHz@133 with 40Mb RAM becuase it has no OS and it ran OK.

Well, cable went out, and this was on the only PC I had with a modem. So...I was a 133MHz with Windows ME and a 33.6K modem using AOL. LOL

Glad only was a like a day, then I was on a 400MHz/384M with 3M using cable.
  • I turn it off but first I make partitions if I don't already have them and make a disk image of the Primary partition on another partition. Then
    when it gets to screwing up too much, I just restore the image to the primary partition and have a fresh clean copy. If I didn't do that it might be useful or use GoBack.
    Thump
  • I have never really used system restore. I only try to use apps that i know others have used 1st. I use norton ghost and make a backup image onto my other 20gb hard drive, so i can restore the pc back to normal in 3mins if anything goes wrong :)
  • System Restore...ill be honest I do use it...it takes up almost 3GB on my C: drive. I dont mind it. Actually saved my ass a few times last year but I always turned it off when I put XP on my laptop...XP on a 2GB partition is hell, gotta preserve the space...had like 700MB to use after the setup...with System Restore turned off of course.
    I dont have any problem with system restore, the concept is good but the program really isnt. I mean, you install a bad driver and your system gets a BSoD when you log on to Windows. System Restore cant help you there. You end up reinstalling XP. That happened to me a lot last year. Live and learn.
  • Meh, I turned it off

I let my Windows partition go to shit, every week I end up with 2GB free until I clean it out.
  • I wish that Sys Restore came with a pre-windows thing that you can launch before windows oads kinda like how Safe Mode loads when you press [F8]
  • I wish that Sys Restore came with a pre-windows thing that you can launch before windows oads kinda like how Safe Mode loads when you press [F8]

true...you think MS has brains and think ahead about this stuff...but nope...MS went from quality to greed.