(Your) Oldest machine running?

Comments

• I just got this one last weekend, to try and fix my HD problem:

486DX - 100 MHz
    8 MB Ram

That one's about 12 years old...
  • 8MB? How many RAM spaces are there?

-Q
  • I think 3, it was made for Windows 3.1. Before Windows 95 came out.
    Funny thing it would prolly lag on Windows 95 as well.
  • You can probably get 48 in there.

-Q
  • Lol why bother? It's gonna be used for 3.1 probably. Plus I'm gonna sell a few of my old machines, but I may keep that one just for fun.
  • The oldest one "running" is my Pentium MMX 166MHz. It powers up, but doesn't do much more then display a message something like "Please insert bootable media into appropriate drive" or something of that nature. I think it happened when I accidentally turned off the machine while I was installing Windows 95. IMO, it's not really worth anything to me, so the next stop is the scrap pile (I already scrapped the video capture card from it). The only thing that would save it from being scrapped at this point in time is a different hard drive.
  • My oldest in terms of spec:

Whitebox 286
    12 MHz
    1024k RAM
    1024k SVGA Trident video adapter (hehe yep!)
    42 meg Western Digital HDD (squeak squeak!)
    Old IBM 8512 PS/2 monitor
    Built sometime around 1989. I put the SVGA card in around 2-3 years ago. It had a Hercules mono card before and I was tired of my orange TTX screen. Anyone want that? Ultimate old PC...

I also have an IBM PS/2 Model 30 which is an 8088 with 640k. Someone gave it to me 7 years ago and I never got it to work.

I think I have a 386 IBM PS/2 Model 70 that was made in 1987-88 (I used to have like 15 of them). That would be my oldest I think. Working? Hell I don't have a clue.
  • Is your model 30 anything like the model 25 (Integrated monitor, 2 floppies, no HD, etc)?

-Q
  • My two oldest are 1) Compaq Persario 5340 and 2) My server (Compaq Deskpro EN SFF)

They both work.
  • My oldest in terms of spec:

Whitebox 286
    12 MHz
    1024k RAM
    1024k SVGA Trident video adapter (hehe yep!)
    42 meg Western Digital HDD (squeak squeak!)
    Old IBM 8512 PS/2 monitor
    Built sometime around 1989. I put the SVGA card in around 2-3 years ago. It had a Hercules mono card before and I was tired of my orange TTX screen. Anyone want that? Ultimate old PC...

I also have an IBM PS/2 Model 30 which is an 8088 with 640k. Someone gave it to me 7 years ago and I never got it to work.

I think I have a 386 IBM PS/2 Model 70 that was made in 1987-88 (I used to have like 15 of them). That would be my oldest I think. Working? Hell I don't have a clue.

Is that IBM Compatible? That's preety old.
  • It's an IBM machine, I suspect it is.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    It's an IBM machine, I suspect it is.

-Q

:lol: Yes the IBM PC is IBM PC compatible ;)

The Model 30 is different. It uses the same case as the 55SX (my main PC for a few years, 386SX), which is a thinner and wider and the top is plastic unlike the normal Model 50 / 70 box. So no integrated monitor.

The neat thing about the Model 30 as opposed to my other PS/2's, is that the floppy drive is 720 K (the other PS/2 all had 1.44 MB ones, in fact the PS/2 pioneered the 1.44) and it has the ISA bus not the Micro Channel of the other ones (I guess since it's a ~4.77 - 8 MHz machine and MCA runs at 10 MHz and is 16 bit)

The PS/2s were cool because they were totally different from the other PC clones on the market, but were 100% software compatible. IBM was charging royalties up the wazoo to copy anything from the PS/2 line (like MCA bus) so nobody touched it and IBM took a big hit in the marketplace. My ~1995 era Pentium90 IBM PC750 has ISA (and PCI) slots again :lol:

Mind you the industry DID copy the 1.44 MB disk drive a few years after the PS/2 came out, and many years later would go on to copy the mouse/keyboard ports and also the idea of the integrated motherboards with the ATX...
  • My oldest Machine is a Macintosh Classic and it still works but I use more my LCII.
  • my old machine is a
    486dx4 100mhz 16mb ram
    2gb hard drive
    2 cd-rom drives
    can display 800x600 16bit resolution
    two out of the 4 ram spaces are used
    im currently buying ram for it
  • Toshiba T5200 80386 "laptop"
    Am386 40MHz
    Maxed Out - 16 MB RAM
    8 GB HDD :D with EZ-drive
    Win95C
    ISA Ethernet + IE 5.5 (it runs)S
    Sound Blister 16
  • Oldest machine running that I actually use:

Pentium III 1 Ghz
    512 MB of RAM
    40 GB HDD
    Windows Server 2003

It has a sound blaster and some ati rage card, doesn't matter, they're never used. All access is done remotely.
  • Only comps I have is an athlon xp and a Pentium 4 at the moment.
  • In storage, I have:

A Commodore 64, with the floppy drive, sans cords. (I love working a second hand shop)
    See:

And then:
    IBM Aptiva
    486 processor 66mhz
    64mb RAM
    500mb HD
    Either Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32, I forget which.
    Win95 or DOS, I forget which version.
    ('fraid I don't got a proper picture of it)

Next up is:
    Sharp laptop
    Pentium 150 with MMX
    Solid-state HD, 2gb
    32mb RAM
    Win95
    See:

This one I actually use. A lot. Aside from being an awesome DOS rig, it's where I do most all of my writing.
  • My fileserver is the oldest I have that's running.
  • I have a Timex|Sinclair 6800 I believe...
  • BOD wrote:
    My fileserver is the oldest I have that's running.

My web server is MY oldest that I have running!
  • Is anyone seeing a pattern? Mine, Ka0s, and BOD's oldest machines that are actually running and in use are servers.
  • Honestly I dont consider my webserver too old... Its still a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 HT... It desperately needs more RAM though.
  • Well, if I upgrade the ram, my server will become an Athlon XP 2.17 Ghz.
  • My server, and oldest computer in the house at this moment in time is a RM Accelerator (ex-school computer) Intel P4 1.6Ghz running 1.2GB SD-RAM and W2k3 (see siggy)

Side note: why the fuck is SDRAM so damn expensive.
  • Rioter wrote:

I don't have any source or info to back this up, but I heard it was because they don't make it anymore. Or at least, they don't mass produce it like they did when it was current tech.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Rioter wrote:

I don't have any source or info to back this up, but I heard it was because they don't make it anymore. Or at least, they don't mass produce it like they did when it was current tech.

Yeah, but even second/third/* hand sdram on ebay is damn expensive.

True, it's old technology, but still...
  • Yeah I know, I remember paying like $50 for 128 MB stick back in 2003 or so.
  • Oh, wait... it doesn't have to be a PC?

Altair 8800. Original everything.

Dun-dun-dun...