What's Your Phone?

edited August 2017 in Hardware
What's your phone? I use a Nokia Lumia 920 as of now (I'm typing this on it) and I have an iPhone 4S, and two iPhone 3GS's laying around.

Comments

• I have a Droid RAZR MAXX HD. It's ok I guess. I've never been a huge fan of Android, to be honest. I mean, it's ok, but it's always felt like an unfinished product. But then, all Google products have that feeling.

I've never really used iOS or Windows Phone, so I can't really say anything about them. But since I'm fairly Anti-Apple, I'd say the chances of me owning or using an iOS device are slim. I would like to give Windows Phone a chance, but from what I've seen, it seems to be fairly limited in terms of available apps. Although, there's really only a handful of apps I use on Android, so as long as there were equivalent apps on Windows, I'd be good.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I have a Droid RAZR MAXX HD. It's ok I guess. I've never been a huge fan of Android, to be honest. I mean, it's ok, but it's always felt like an unfinished product. But then, all Google products have that feeling.

I've never really used iOS or Windows Phone, so I can't really say anything about them. But since I'm fairly Anti-Apple, I'd say the chances of me owning or using an iOS device are slim. I would like to give Windows Phone a chance, but from what I've seen, it seems to be fairly limited in terms of available apps. Although, there's really only a handful of apps I use on Android, so as long as there were equivalent apps on Windows, I'd be good.

While it is true that Windows Phones really don't have a large app inventory, they have everything you'd possibly need. If there isn't a first-party app available, there's always third-party solutions. I have used Android, and in my opinion, its basically just a copy-and-paste tactic from iOS, where as Windows Phone is a refresh.
  • Hmm, I bought a Wolfgang AT-AS40D really cheap more than a year ago. It has Android 4.1, a single-core processor, 512 megs of RAM, and a 4" 480*800 screen. I quite like Android actually. Though it has some flaws (stock browser on <4.4), I like the huge amount of available apps. (Why they aren't just called programs is beyond me, but whatever.) It is quite sluggish sometimes, so I'm planning to maybe buy a Motorola Moto G (2014). I quite like the fact Motorola doesn't really bloat Android (ahem, Samsung)
  • I've been using a Nexus 4 since last summer which replaced my Galaxy S II, which is still in use and on a contract. I'm resisting the urge to upgrade next year, but really, with a 720p IPS display, 2GB RAM, 4-core Krait CPU, there's no pressing need hardware wise. My $10 eBay Otterbox knockoff has saved it from damage dozens of times so it's in pristine condition as well.

I've never used Windows Phone since the Windows Mobile era, and the same for iOS since v2.0. I like Android, at least stock/AOSP versions. I'm also tied into the Google ecosystem, which keeps me with Android more so. Even with my limited experience on other mobile OSs, my inner nerd tells me Android will continue to be my preferred mobile OS for the near future - it has certainly come a long way since the days of Froyo/Gingerbread.

Regarding feature stealing/borrowing, one can observe that between all the mobile operating systems, and well pretty much every piece of software ever written. It's not always a bad thing. Android did take a lot of ideas and concepts from iOS early on, but in recent years we've seen Apple adopt features first implemented in Android, be it stock or a manufacturer variant. I am glad Google and phone manufacturers are starting to ease off completely modifying Android into their own bastardized versions to a limited extent.

I'm currently rocking a stock, rooted Lollipop ROM with Nova Launcher Prime on my N4:

m_tovj_png.jpg
  • Lumia 520. Maybe I'll drift to iOS or some other OS. I don't really want Android, I just want (a patched and modernized) Maemo
  • iPhone 4S. I don't really care too much for the modern offerings and all this flat UI crap. Plus the 4S still handles the very few tasks I need from a phone.
  • If I had one, I would get a cheap pay-as-you-go type phone. All I would only need it for talking and texting.
  • 1980s Unisonic model 6434 desk phone. This mofo will outlive all of your toy phones. And it has 10000% better sound as long as the other person is also using a real phone.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    1980s Unisonic model 6434 desk phone. This mofo will outlive all of your toy phones. And it has 10000% better sound as long as the other person is also using a real phone.

Except DuoAuth woke your wife up *how* many times?
  • I use an iPhone 3G. It gets what I do on a phone done, which is email and sometimes Internet browsing.
  • iPhone 5C
  • I wonder if there will come a time when we will stop referring to smartphones as phones. I mean, most people use smartphones as more of a handheld computer and rarely ever as an actual phone, so calling it a phone (or even a smartphone) seems wholly inadequate.
  • stitch wrote:
    iPhone 4S. I don't really care too much for the modern offerings and all this flat UI crap. Plus the 4S still handles the very few tasks I need from a phone.

I actually used an iPhone 4S before I switched over to Windows Phone, the main reason I switched was because iOS 8 on an iPhone 4S is horribly unusable. Constant app crashing, constant rebooting, constant lag, unresponsive buttons, etc, and I felt that Android, as I said before, felt like it was copied and pasted over from iOS.

I've had no lag issues, and only a handful of reboot issues (the YouTube app had a bug in an earlier version, where I a video ever crashed, it would reboot the entire phone), and so far, my experience has been golden.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I wonder if there will come a time when we will stop referring to smartphones as phones. I mean, most people use smartphones as more of a handheld computer and rarely ever as an actual phone, so calling it a phone (or even a smartphone) seems wholly inadequate.

I think you just made Satya Nadella's day, BlueSun.
  • I'm one of those few people on Earth who uses a Blackberry still. Specifically, I own a Blackberry Z10.

I do have a Moto X that I bought recently when they just released the newer model but I'm not too fond of Android and use it when I'm traveling.
  • stitch wrote:
    iPhone 4S. I don't really care too much for the modern offerings and all this flat UI crap. Plus the 4S still handles the very few tasks I need from a phone.

I actually used an iPhone 4S before I switched over to Windows Phone, the main reason I switched was because iOS 8 on an iPhone 4S is horribly unusable. Constant app crashing, constant rebooting, constant lag, unresponsive buttons, etc, and I felt that Android, as I said before, felt like it was copied and pasted over from iOS..

There's a reason I am still on 6.1.3.
  • noone wrote:
    I'm one of those few people on Earth who uses a Blackberry still. Specifically, I own a Blackberry Z10.

I do have a Moto X that I bought recently when they just released the newer model but I'm not too fond of Android and use it when I'm traveling.

So I'm assuming if anybody sees that you have have a BlackBerry, they'll either constantly laugh at you, or nag you to get an Android.
  • stitch wrote:
    stitch wrote:

I actually used an iPhone 4S before I switched over to Windows Phone, the main reason I switched was because iOS 8 on an iPhone 4S is horribly unusable. Constant app crashing, constant rebooting, constant lag, unresponsive buttons, etc, and I felt that Android, as I said before, felt like it was copied and pasted over from iOS..

There's a reason I am still on 6.1.3.

Hell, id still be on 5.1.1 if I didn't become curious of what was on 6.

iOS 5, in my experience, is a lot faster than 6, at that time it still had Google Maps, and an amazing official YouTube app, and out of nowhere, in version 6, they drop it all, and I found that it was actually slower, but not unusable like 8.
  • IMHO, iOS 7 is the first good looking version of iOS (before it was weird glass-skeueo leftovers from OS X) - same for Mavericks, though Leopard started to make it tolerable (pinstripes and brushed metal were never good)

For Android, ICS with Holo was the goodness, and Lollipop's material design is much better visually, though I question some elements like the floating buttons.

Windows Phone has always looked nice.
  • ampharos wrote:
    IMHO, iOS 7 is the first good looking version of iOS (before it was weird glass-skeueo leftovers from OS X) - same for Mavericks, though Leopard started to make it tolerable (pinstripes and brushed metal were never good)

For Android, ICS with Holo was the goodness, and Lollipop's material design is much better visually, though I question some elements like the floating buttons.

Windows Phone has always looked nice.

After owning a Windows Phone for six months now, and using IOS 7 a year prior, and considering the release dates of both (iOS 7, 2013, Windows Phone 8, 2012) I came to the conclusion that Apple became jealous of Microsoft's Metro UI, and did exactly what Android did from iOS, blatantly copied them, and in IOS 8, that's even more apparent.
  • UI design is always copied from something. Someone starts some trend and it soon becomes the standard.

Glass and gloss is out and the new thing is flat and matte.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    UI design is always copied from something. Someone starts some trend and it soon becomes the standard.

Glass and gloss is out and the new thing is flat and matte.

A lot of people think I prefer the "falt and matte" design because its trendy, when in reality, I just prefer its minimalistic design, because it doesn't use nearly as many resources as a "glassy and glossy" design, and its still elegant, in my opinion.
  • I have a lot of cell phones, and one land line phone. But the cell phone I most often use is a Samsung model ZTEV768 with Andriod version 2.3.7. It does what I need it to do, and gives me more control of what I can do on it.

The other phone is a Bell labs Rotary phone (which is not plugged in).

I'm too big of a fan of the iphone and it's UI, the UI looks like crap, and ever since version 4 it has looked like a brick.
  • I own a Sony Xperia Z. It's not the best phone (Battery can't be removed, like wtf lol) but it's what I can buy (from the used market). Camera is pretty good and has LTE.

I also have a Lenovo P700 which is a piece of crap because every time I drop it or put it in my pocket, the phone turns off.
  • noone wrote:
    I'm one of those few people on Earth who uses a Blackberry still. Specifically, I own a Blackberry Z10.

So I'm assuming if anybody sees that you have have a BlackBerry, they'll either constantly laugh at you, or nag you to get an Android.
    Laugh and tell me to go get an iPhone. I used an iphone when the 5 came out. I used it for a few weeks before I ended up returning it. I wasn't too fond of its multitasking abilities, like I always keep a ssh session running on my phone and iOS would blow the app away every time I answered a text message or looked something up online. Also, walled gardens are totally awesome and it was a pain to get people to actually start using text messages to talk to me rather than Apple's built in solution.

Admittingly, when ios7 came out, I saw tons of elements that I have had on my blackberry borrowed for use. I'm seeing similar things happening now with Lollipop since it came out. It's a stable phone, never really have had any issues with having to reboot the phone except when I'm swapping sims to my other phone). The gestures are a bit to get used to, and seems to do what I want to do, unfortunately nobody takes them seriously anymore. That and I have to rely on some Android apps to get what I need done. (I use the F-Droid Repository and download from their catalog for stuff I need.)
    I'd much rather use something that has a fully open source OS, however I'm not fond of where Android is going and the only other competition (Jolla and FirefoxOS) are either not sold in North America or are not really designed for power users in mind.
    I'd buy a Jolla phone in a heartbeat if they started selling in North America however it seems they are a bit hostile towards providing a phone here (claiming patent nonsense) and I doubt they'd ever release one here with a compatible radio that would be usable.
  • noone wrote:
    noone wrote:

Laugh and tell me to go get an iPhone. I used an iphone when the 5 came out. I used it for a few weeks before I ended up returning it. I wasn't too fond of its multitasking abilities, like I always keep a ssh session running on my phone and iOS would blow the app away every time I answered a text message or looked something up online. Also, walled gardens are totally awesome and it was a pain to get people to actually start using text messages to talk to me rather than Apple's built in solution.

Admittingly, when ios7 came out, I saw tons of elements that I have had on my blackberry borrowed for use. I'm seeing similar things happening now with Lollipop since it came out. It's a stable phone, never really have had any issues with having to reboot the phone except when I'm swapping sims to my other phone). The gestures are a bit to get used to, and seems to do what I want to do, unfortunately nobody takes them seriously anymore. That and I have to rely on some Android apps to get what I need done. (I use the F-Droid Repository and download from their catalog for stuff I need.)
    I'd much rather use something that has a fully open source OS, however I'm not fond of where Android is going and the only other competition (Jolla and FirefoxOS) are either not sold in North America or are not really designed for power users in mind.
    I'd buy a Jolla phone in a heartbeat if they started selling in North America however it seems they are a bit hostile towards providing a phone here (claiming patent nonsense) and I doubt they'd ever release one here with a compatible radio that would be usable.

Then for you, BlackBerry seems to have a lot of potential. To be honest, before i started this thread i thought BlackBerry didn't even exist anymore, and i'm a bit surprised that it's still being used, however, it suits your needs, which is really all that matters.
  • BlackBerry could have still been a relevant player in the market if they did not lag and create too much FUD. From what I seen from BB10 so far I really like the OS and would love to give it a shot if I didn't feel BlackBerry could be non-existant in another year.
  • stitch wrote:
    BlackBerry could have still been a relevant player in the market if they did not lag and create too much FUD. From what I seen from BB10 so far I really like the OS and would love to give it a shot if I didn't feel BlackBerry could be non-existant in another year.

They had a tablet they released a while back and I remember thinking it actually looked pretty cool. But now, it seems like it has completely faded into obscurity.
  • Have been always a fan of Nokia's despite what they do.
    Had before N8 and now Lumia 625 as primary smartphone.
  • edited December 2014
    Could have sworn admins have to approve guest posts...

Edit: nevermind, stupid guest posts deleted now.