Pentium 3

2»

Comments

• They're just trying to compete with AMD's Athlon 64.
  • A64's a far superior, they have a new architecture with full backwards compatibility. Intels Itainium has gay backwards compatibility, it runs like a PII 400MHz.

-Q
  • The P4EE is the one with TWO MB L2.... Im pretty sure its 2MB though/...

Yup This chart will pretty much tell you everything. http://indigo.intel.com/compare_cpu/default.aspx
  • Q wrote:
    A64's a far superior, they have a new architecture with full backwards compatibility. Intels Itainium has gay backwards compatibility, it runs like a PII 400MHz.

-Q

I hope to get an A64 someday, not some gay Extreme Edition...
  • An when it will be Intel64? I will NOT rely on AMD64 anyway.
  • AMD has come to a point where I trust them more than Intel now... so once my P4 2.4ghz is obsolete, I'll rush to get an AMD 64.
  • Yea, Intels I trust less these days, for whatever reason. I just think of them as being oppressive and annoying.

-Q

PS. I'll gladly welcome you to A64land!
  • What Tim meant when he said P3's were better than P4's was that the first few P4's released were slower than the fastest P3's at the time. A good deal slower. Pretty much any P4 2 GHz or below _really, really_ sucks in terms of performance.

Now, about cache ...

Slot P3's had 512 KB of off-chip L2 cache. If you ever opened up a slot P3, you'd see two big chips beside the soldered-on CPU. Those are the cache chips. They run at the speed of your FSB, which was 100 or 133 MHz in the P3's case.

The newer socket P3's ... those have 256 KB of L2 cache, IIRC, but it's on-chip cache. This means it's embedded into the core, and *runs at the speed of the CPU*. And that is why 256 KB of on-chip L2 is better than 512 KB of off-chip L2.

The first-generation P4's had 8 KB + 4 KB of L1 cache (I forget which of those was data vs. code cache), and 256 KB of L2. That first generation was called the "Willamette". Willamette sucked, and I pity any fool who payed an arm and a leg for it back in the day. Then came Northwood. Northwood uses a smaller process technology, and has 512 KB of L2. There is also the P4 "Extreme Edition" (IMO, "Excrement Edition"), which has 12 KB of L1, 512 KB of L2, and 2 MB of L3. This P4EE is basically a re-badged Xeon IV core.

Now, about Athlon XP's vs. Pentium 4's ...

Pentium 4's have a much deeper pipeline (20 stages) compared to Athlon XP's (10 stages). What does this mean? It means the Pentium 4 design can reach much higher clock speeds, but can't do as much as the Athlon XP per clock.

That is why the fastest P4 right now is something like 3.4 GHz, whereas the fastest Athlon-XP is 2.2 GHz (though they can overclock very easily to around 2.6). But clock speed isn't everything, because the Pentium 4 doesn't do as much per clock than the Athlon XP.

So yeah, I'm done here. This is getting boring. LOL
  • Thanks. I have a P4 1.7 and 2 slot PIII 550's. Is the P4 a Willamette?
  • No, the FIRST generation were Willamette
  • What clock speeds were Willamette?
  • err... below 2GHz I think he said
  • Yes, your P4 1.7 is a Willamette. They went up to 2.0 GHz, then Intel moved to the Northwood.
  • Hmph. Maybe that would explain why it takes like 40 hours for one SETI unit. Running it with the cover off and having the PSU blow warm air on the CPU can't help either. I replaced the cover and will have to see if I notice a difference in time to complete a unit.
  • ... Question ...

Why would temperature change the performance of your CPU? :P

Granted, the P4's clock-throttle when under dangerous temperatures, but it's doubtful you're reaching 80-85C.
  • Erm.. 80-95 C equals 176 to 185, so no, I don't think I've reached that, nor is it really possible.

Fish said to put the cover back on, that it affects circulation which could explain why it's taking 40 hours...
  • That's pretty stupid of Fish. LOL

Heat won't make shit of a difference in performance. I don't see where he got his reasoning. I'll have to ask him about that one. ;)
  • I thought it was from you, but maybe not. I can understand it, but IYSS.
  • heat affects performance because it affects certain system parts like the hdd and the memory if the system gets to hot chips blow.
    and when chips blow they cost a fucking fortune to replace. especially if you have to replace everything like i had to recently it cost about
  • That sucks, BOD. What did you replace them with for