Winrar and Windows 10

edited May 2016 in Software
Hello!

If you are using Windows 10, do not install winrar, as it made it so that my start menu would not open
Uninstalling winrar fixed it.
I have no idea why this is. If you need a program like winrar, use 7zip

The purpose of this post is to inform users about this problem. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Meh. I'd be a little surprised if it really does that for everyone. Thankfully we mostly use 7Zip around here.

Either way, please contact Microsoft and whoever writes WinRar to let them know their software sucks :P
  • I've been using WinRAR for a very long time, my build shifted from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without any problem. Besides, use Classic Shell instead of the poor hybrid Win10 Start Menu/Screen.
  • ah. must just be me

Whatever, I switch to 7zip anyway
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Meh. I'd be a little surprised if it really does that for everyone. Thankfully we mostly use 7Zip around here.
    I'm one of the few that uses WinRAR also, though not as much.

For that problem reported, that is bizarre, even though only you had it. I don't know why that is... either WinRAR doesn't work well with Win10 or the fact that the OS itself sucks as it seems to have a problem with "legacy" software, which I think WinRAR is anyway (as in, not as "new" as other software nowadays).
  • Its not legacy software. I have an older version of VMware player because of my 32bit host OS and Visual Basic 6 and they never did that! In fact, before I uninstalled winRAR, I noticed that it took longer to log in to my account then it did before, and after uninstall that speed is back. Maybe winrar just hates Windows 10 or Windows 10 hates it
  • It's neither, unless EzioisAwesome56 has an ancient version of WinRAR.
  • Its not legacy software. I have an older version of VMware player because of my 32bit host OS and Visual Basic 6 and they never did that! In fact, before I uninstalled winRAR, I noticed that it took longer to log in to my account then it did before, and after uninstall that speed is back. Maybe winrar just hates Windows 10 or Windows 10 hates it

What version of winrar and what Windows system/machine you have installed (32 or 64 bits)? I assumed you install 32-bits of Winrar on 64 bit windows machine, which trying WinRAR's 32bit Shell Extension dll to be loaded while your explorer expect 64-bits of shell extension dll. You must install the correct one.
  • thiekus wrote:
    What version of winrar and what Windows system/machine you have installed (32 or 64 bits)? I assumed you install 32-bits of Winrar on 64 bit windows machine, which trying WinRAR's 32bit Shell Extension dll to be loaded while your explorer expect 64-bits of shell extension dll. You must install the correct one.

I just checked my download history and their webpage, the version I downloaded was the 32bit version of Winrar 5.31 and installed it onto my 32bit Windows 10. So its not 32bit software on a 64bit OS. I even said that my OS was 32bit when I talked about running an older version of VMware player.

Plus if I installed 32bit winrar on 64bit windows, (I did once) it pops up and error about it and tells you to get the 64bit version.

So maybe winrar just sucks or something else...
  • Out of curiosity I just downloaded PeaZip 6.02 another free utility and see what it's like.

I've got a paid WinZip license, though haven't really liked the GUI since 17.5. Now at version 20.5 it wants to nag me in a popup for files that aren't in use in my Downloads folder. Up until 17.5 I didn't mind WinZip and did everything I wanted.

Reminds me of when Nero Burning ROM was the CD burning app of choice, only to become bloated full of crap.

When something such as PeaZip is only 7 MB to download compared to WinZip's 130 MB, it's time to shop around. Below shows how much WinZip has ballooned since 15.5.

Winzip_Sizes.png
  • PeaZip is a bit of a clusterfsck UI wise, IMHO. 7Zip gets out of the way and just does stuff.
  • Out of curiosity I just downloaded PeaZip 6.02 another free utility and see what it's like.

I've got a paid WinZip license, though haven't really liked the GUI since 17.5. Now at version 20.5 it wants to nag me in a popup for files that aren't in use in my Downloads folder. Up until 17.5 I didn't mind WinZip and did everything I wanted.

Reminds me of when Nero Burning ROM was the CD burning app of choice, only to become bloated full of crap.

When something such as PeaZip is only 7 MB to download compared to WinZip's 130 MB, it's time to shop around. Below shows how much WinZip has ballooned since 15.5.

Winzip_Sizes.png

Shame, Corel made Winzip to be bloatware, as same as they do for Paint Shop Pro. The last Winzip version I used is 9.0, back from mid 2000's.
  • I have changed to 7Zip for obvious reasons, WinRAR is quite annoying.

• Well, I've had WinRAR for many years and never a problem with it, aside from the pop-ups telling you that the trial's expired and all that which can easily be dismissed (and yet one can use the program normally after it). Then again, I don't really use it as much.

As this thread's been bumped, I wonder if Windows 10's problem with WinRAR had been dealt with and fixed after all these years.