[REQUEST] WIndows 3.x/NT era TCP/IP Applications

Not talking about a copy of Netscape but software such as:

Chameleon NFS/X by NetManage
TCP/Connect II by InterCon Systems

These were commercial products that were collectively a suite of applications used over TCP/IP networking for client/server roles, i.e. telnet and FTP etc.
Don't recall seeing this sort of software on WinWorld at least for now. Just interested to experiment provided its for Ethernet and not a modem.

On page 68 of this magazine, there was a review on some of these applications:
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=WzgEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA74&lpg=PA74&dq=source=bl&ots=2BQQRUI_d8&sig=6vROZw4oDh_hQyyHPuQ8CmvH3Vw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiHy6CW15vRAhXCFJQKHWadDYUQ6AEIKzAD#v=onepage&q=page%2068&f=false

Comments

• I don't think the link you posted is showing me what you intended - just a bunch of page sniipets.

Anyway, nothing specific comes to mind.

Right when NT came out, there was very quickly a flurry of programs - mostly CLI if IRC, and were on most shareware ftp sites.

This CD-Rom over at archive.org is an example:

https://archive.org/details/SoftwareVault_198

It really wasn't until Microsoft put the 9X face on NT that it started to become more & more popular - when was that - 3.5 or 3.51 - I forget.

I do have Chameleon HostLink 8.0 - but that's from 1998 and won't do much for server-side anyway.
    Chameleon HostLink allows PC users to communicate with and connect to
    UNIX, AS/400 and IBM mainframe systems for terminal emulation, file
    sharing, transfer, and printing. In addition Chameleon HostLink
    provides both SNA and TCP/IP network protocol support facilitating
    network migrations from SNA to TCP/IP. A complete multi-host
    connectivity solution, Chameleon HostLink delivers the lowest cost of
    ownership, unparalleled ease of use and administration capabilities,
    unprecedented value, state-of-the-art technology, and superior
    performance.
  • The thing is that NT (and later 9x) came with all the networking stuff needed to talk to other NT/9x boxes. Most of the third party stuff was to communicate with "old" Unix, Novell, or VMS systems.

That is certainly the sort of stuff I would like to see more of here. Of course, most companies carted those softwares off to the dumpster, right in next to their Novell servers.
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    I don't think the link you posted is showing me what you intended - just a bunch of page sniipets.

From the bunch of page snippets, the third snippet - click on Page 68 and it will take you to the actual page. There was a multiple page article with comparisons. I couldn't work out how to get it to directly go to that page specifically.
    02k-guy wrote:
    It really wasn't until Microsoft put the 9X face on NT that it started to become more & more popular - when was that - 3.5 or 3.51 - I forget.

It was NT 4.0.

I understand and agree with what you're saying SomeGuy, though these products came about when those running Windows 3.x/Win for Workgroups didn't come with TCP/IP as standard.
    NT was better equipped but someone may have used these on NT 3.1 or 3.5x machines in a business environment.

As the magazine suggested which is how it seemed to have panned out was that when Chicago (Windows 95) was to be shipped the following year with TCP/IP included as standard, these third-party vendors would need to do a lot of convincing to charge $400~ for their own shrink-wrapped package when Microsoft's would be sufficient. I guess some of the vendors continued with mostly terminal emulation after that point as this TCP/IP software was no longer as profitable.
  • There's a fairly broad range of NetManage/Chameleon stuff here:

ftp://powerfast.net/pub/windows/netmanage/

The file dates show 2008 or so, but a quick look inside the zips reveal that the stuff is all ffrom 1995-96.

Some in English, some in Spnaish. Could be all the apps are English, but the person that did the ftp might have made their notes in Spanish.

Whatever that site was that had "pappa, IN or Indiana": in it's name had a bucket of TCP/IP stacks and such. Old, old site.

I think its gone now - maybe archive.org has it?
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    There's a fairly broad range of NetManage/Chameleon stuff here:

ftp://powerfast.net/pub/windows/netmanage/

Thanks for the FTP link. I downloaded the entire Netmanage directory and will go through and see what's what.
    Be good if these were in original images, but can't always have it all.
  • edited January 2017
    It would be wonderful if you could in fact sort that stuff out, and come back and let me know what is what. I downloaded the whole mess and looked at it a bit this AM - then remembered that NetManage was famous for its many product names and confusing versioning.

Digging thru my Scruffy-ware, I also found ONNET PC/TCP, and NetManage Chameleon 7.0.

The difficulty is that Chameleon is for 95/NT 3.51 I think.

Using Google to just find better descriptions of Nemage products, I stumbled on this page:
    http://tidbits.com/iskm/iskw2html/pt3/ch14/ch14d.html

As you scroll near the bottom they do present some visuals - and I can just barely remember dinking with that. When Netscape/Mosaic came out - the rest was history as they say.

MTIyMzI2ODgyMDY1ODcwMTA1.png
  • I remembered. This was it - the ftp site that used to have all the old stacks and such:

ftp://papa.indstate.edu/winsock-l/

It's gone - maybe archive.org has it?
  • I didn't find any success with finding that FTP on archive.org.

Anyway on that FTP you provided earlier, all the Spanish copies are under the SP_46 directory.

The only ones that installed OK was Ecco Professional 3.2 and OpSession. All the JETMAIL directories are just JetMail 5.0 for different Windows versions.

The tricky part with the software would be to find the right serial number. I could only find ones for Ecco which didn't need it to work, and Chameleon 4.x. JetMail and Unix Link 97 however appear to need both a 16-digit and 4-digit keys to install.

I did read up that the serial number must be unique over the network when installed on multiple PCs. If it detects there's multiple PCs with the same serial number then it will apparently bring up a licensing error and stop functioning.
  • ftp://ftp.wintel.fi/drivers/FTP/

Has a bunch of stuff - good luck on "onbeta2.zip" - its password protected.

I went to one of my old ftp haunts and found Chameleon 4.0, 4.01, 4.1.

PC-TCP, PC-NFS, NCSA Telnet, PCTCP ONNET 1.1, PCTCP 2.05, Tropic NFS Server 1.0, Tropic TCPIP 1.1b, Tsoft NFS 1.02, XFS NFS 1.8, XFS32 NFS 1.0, HCL-eXceed Server Release 3.1.1, eXceed-W & eXceed-Xpress Version 3.3.1, PC-Xware 1.01, Reflection X 4.00, Reflection X 4.11.

And a very old version of Brooklyn Bridge, Laplink, FastWire II.

Plus Lantastic 3, 4, 5, 6 and Netware Lite.
  • Altogether a busy morning on that old site. Just over a gig and 1185 files. Some (many) from 1992-1993. Same old ftp server with frequent fails - only difference between now and "back when" I uploaded a lot of stuff there is that Filezilla will store a failed que and automagically reconnect - plus umpteen thousand percent greater bandwidth than my old 1200 baud modem.
  • I did read up that the serial number must be unique over the network when installed on multiple PCs. If it detects there's multiple PCs with the same serial number then it will apparently bring up a licensing error and stop functioning.

Netmanage Chameleon NFS 4.01 s/n: 34649640121147S3 Key D7D0
    Chameleon NFS Morpher 4.01 s/n: 34649640121147S3 Key D7D0
    Netmanage Chameleon NFS 4.1 s/n: 3405913104171253 Key A224
    Netmanage Chameleon NFS 4.5 s/n: 34768840199594I3 Key 2FA2
    Netmanage Chameleon NFS 7.0 s/n: 34108131059088S3 Key B71E