What was your first computer?

Hey Guys! I Thought a a census/poll would be intersting for this.
My First computer was a 2005 Emachines W/a AMD Athlon 64.What was yours?

Comments

• Some beige Dell Dimension running Windows 95. Don't remember any details about it sadly since my mom chucked it when I was 4 or 5.
  • The first computer I had that was mine was an Epson Equity ii (I believe that was the model). It was a 286 at a blazing 12 Mhz. I think it had like 2 or 4 MB of RAM and originally no hard drive. I later added an 11 MB drive and later a 120 MB drive.
  • Mine's was an IBM Aptiva, running Win98 SE. It was a piece of garbage actually... nice for a first computer :roll:
  • A non-original Dell Optiplex GX1, I got it from my grandparents in 2009. It was the first computer I had that I could call my own. It had a 433Mhz Pentium III, 384MB RAM (the ram sticks didn't match 100% though but it worked), some nVidia PCI graphics card, some sound card, 160GB IDE HDD, and a DVD-RW drive. The floppy drive that came with the computer was missing. I do feel some nostalgia for it and I would like to have a GX1 again. Then again, I heard those machines sucked.
  • An old HP hunk of junk running Windows 98 FE. I still have its hard drive and one of its CD drives.
  • For a computer first owned, it was a generic brand. But before that I cut my teeth on some Packard Bells dad would occasionally bring home temporarily from work. Back when3D Body Adventure, and Megarace looked amazing. And then The Journeyman Project, and Lil Howie, by the time Windows 95 came around.
  • edited May 2017
    dosbox wrote:
    A non-original Dell Optiplex GX1, I got it from my grandparents in 2009. It was the first computer I had that I could call my own. It had a 433Mhz Pentium III, 384MB RAM (the ram sticks didn't match 100% though but it worked), some nVidia PCI graphics card, some sound card, 160GB IDE HDD, and a DVD-RW drive. The floppy drive that came with the computer was missing. I do feel some nostalgia for it and I would like to have a GX1 again. Then again, I heard those machines sucked.
    .None of my computers have a floppy,i wish,but
    i can't afford a new $25 battery for my laptop,nor the $15 replacement keyboard,much less a good (or bad) floppy drive for etiher of my computers,so i guess i am outta luck.

UPDATE: Okay so my dad was real nice and got the battery so im gonna get a external FDD soon.
    UPDATE TO SAID UPDATE:OK, i got the battery and its a dud, so im just plain stuck.
  • eMachines crew represent. It's more like stockholm syndrome though (:

The fan was less like a fan and more like a jet engine turbine, but it would suffice to play Simcity 3k and Age of Empires 2 so I dealt
  • It was a HP, don't remember exactly which one, but it had a really slow Celeron. It was not a pleasent experience. I remember Word 2003 taking ages to start...
  • I don't remember the first one I had or my family had as when i was a small kid that ran 98, but the first one I remember was an MDG, it had Windowx XP, Pentium 4, a GeForce 4 video card.. was pretty good but then it became too slow for new programs, etc, etc. it also became bloated with start-up programs and processes, because I abused the shit out of it.
  • My first brand PC is Gold Star IBM PC 5162 (XT-286) compatible PC with MS-DOS 3.20 (RAM 640KB / 20MB)
  • Commodore C64
  • The first computer I remember using was a Toshiba Satellite 4060CDT (model number going by the pictures I've found) laptop that ran Windows Millennium Edition, I remember having WMP9 installed and midway through the Beck Midnight Vultures sample the colors got distorted and it made weird noises, Good memories from when I was a four-year old kid.

I could get into detail on my computing experiences as a child but it's getting late right now and I don't want to go too off-topic.
  • Mine was a Dell Latitude D810 with Windows XP on it.
  • first computer tandy model ? 64K ram primary storage 640 K 5.25 floppy OS DOS 3.x (I think)
    second computer IBM ram 1 mb CPU 386 primary storage 100 mb HD secondary storage 3.5 floppy OS DOS 6.22 /Windows 3.11 for work groups
  • Hi. After C64, my first PC was an IBM PS/2 Mod.30:
    CPU 8086 8MHz, 640KB RAM, FDD 720K, HDD 20MB, MCGA Video Card
  • tomcat027 wrote:
    Hi. After C64, my first PC was an IBM PS/2 Mod.30:
    CPU 8086 8MHz, 640KB RAM, FDD 720K, HDD 20MB, MCGA Video Card
    hmm...
    well, sorry, but i phrased it wrong so i made it seem like i was talking 'bout PC compatibles ONLY, didn't I?
    ..anyways, neat, a ps/2 isn't too common for my budget ($0-$50) so iv'e never gotten to play with one...(or a real IBM for that matter!)

-CorrectHorseBatteryStaple
  • A custom built early 2000 PC, With a Pentium 4, 2GB RAM, and a GeForce GT something Videos card. 120GB HD, Sata CD burner and IDE CD player. Windows XP Home 32-bit. RIP Blue Alien (That was the name I had given it) It had died due both a CPU and a Motherboard failure.

• Mine was just an IBM Aptiva, with Win98 SE. It was rather crap I've got to admit.

• @albertopuente said:
    Commodore C64

I had a 1351 mouse, 1541 drive, a super snapshot v5 cartridge, along with a 1200 baud modem. Such an awesome thing.... Until I got a 286.

• My first computer was 98NX.
    It and I was born in 1998 and my father gave it to me when I was 6.
    It has "Windows 95/NT" sticker and runs Windows 98SE. :)

• edited December 2017

@JapaneseGuy

I know 98NX is Windows PC compatible machine from NEC with PC 98 System Design Guide by Microsoft / Intel.

Of course it is compatible with DOS/V (PC AT compatible) except 16bit ISA/legacy.
    (MS-DOS 6.2/V is installed on 98NX too)

98NX logo is deleted after 2000 when DOS/V machines were cut off 16bit legacy and became Windows PC compatible with PC 98.

• @ibmpc5150
    As I threw it away 9 years ago, my memory may be wrong...(What I call "98NX" could be "VALUESTAR NX".)

• My first computer was a IBM PS/2 Model 80 with a 386DX-16MHz, 2MB RAM, and a 44MB MFM hard drive. A couple years later I replaced it with a high end PS/2 Model 80 with a 386DX-25MHz with 64KB L2 cache, 8MB RAM, and 320MB SCSI hard drive. It was a MUCH faster computer!

• My first computer was a Compaq Presario 5304 running Windows 98. It had a Cyrix MII processor, 64MB of RAM, and a 4GB hard drive. Also had a built-in Zip drive, which I still own and use in another machine.

• Dell Latitude D810 with 1GB RAM and Windows 7 (originally Windows XP). Oh boy, that thing was slow as hell...

• "Oh boy, that thing was slow as hell..."
    My TI-99/4a would beg to differ.

• Mine was a no-brand Windows Me machine that I believe was ordered for a hospital system. It had 64 MB of RAM and I believe a 433 MHz Intel processor (Pentium of some sort?) Anyway, I got it to perpetually start up in Safe Mode when I tried to record my guitar through the headphone jack on the CD drive. (I'm still not sure how that happened.) We tried to upgrade it to XP but after the install it rebooted in Windows Me. Eventually we just took it apart. I still remember the Samtron monitor and the Active Desktop always crashing. Man, that computer was awful.

• Commodore 64. I should have ditched it long long before I finally did. But I did have 2 drives, a mouse, 1200 baud modem, printer, tape drive, koala pad, and a fast load/debugger cartridge.

• Mine was an iBook G3. I broke it when I was very young because I was watching a space shuttle video with my parents, then the video wouldn't load further, and as any sensible toddler would do, I smashed my fists into the keyboard and broke the computer.