Mac OS X 10.3

Comments

• Thank you!! Brought my G4 back from the dead.

• Update on this: you can now run these older OS X releases and betas in QEMU. Even 10.0 can be run without issue. The Developer previews require a special build of it though.

• what should I use for my iMac G3

• Try to find something period appropriate...
    So MacOS 8, 9 and early versions of X will be fine...

• edited March 2018

QEMU-PPC now has sungem networking built in as well as rudimentary audio. Audio can be a bit choppy in some applications still.

• 10.4 and 10.5 are becoming abandonware, if so, someone please upload them? (also, can someone upload os x server 10.0 - 10.5?)

• @susone said:
    10.4 and 10.5 are becoming abandonware, if so, someone please upload them? (also, can someone upload os x server 10.0 - 10.5?)

There's a 10.4.6 DVD and 4 CDs of 10.4.0 on MacintoshGarden.

• Good Morning, I have downloaded them, can you let me know how toi install them on my IMAC G4 please. Thanks

• @davidthery59 said:
    Good Morning, I have downloaded them, can you let me know how toi install them on my IMAC G4 please. Thanks

Burn the images using imgburn on Windows or Disk Utility on Mac. Once done, insert CD 1 into the drive of the G4 and boot from it. Swap discs when told to.

• trying to install on my imac g3 with a usb stick, it starts to boot, then turns all usb devices off and on, and after about a minute it shows the prohibitory symbol (this happens with all versions from 10.0 up to 10.3)
  • trying to install on my imac g3 with a usb stick, it starts to boot, then turns all usb devices off and on, and after about a minute it shows the prohibitory symbol (this happens with all versions from 10.0 up to 10.3)

suburbGira, try burning them to CD-R’s and try again. I had issues with the first disk for some reason.
  • This means system crash or it's unspported mac

• Mohamed, the later iMac G3’s should be compatible with Panther. Mine refuses to boot the first disc despite the system having came out in the summer of 2001.
  • The ISO files have problems booting in QEMU. Booting from the first disk in QEMU says - invalid option. Renaming the iso to simply Panther will work but selecting the partitioned Hard Disk will say Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer. Mac OS X cannot be started with this computer. Can someone fix this. I had no problems with disk 1 for PearPC.
  • edited January 2021
    @Forzafan456
    I've just tested the ISO in QEMU on Windows 10 and it installed without any problems. I started QEMU with this command::

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot d -m 512 -M mac99 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=panther.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=panther.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01
  • @jonirob
    How do you partition the disk? I keep getting error "You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume. You cannot start up your computer using this volume" when selecting the volume.
  • @WinWhat
    Close QEMU and restart, go to disk utility and erase the disk, then partition again. It should work now.
  • @jonirob
    Thanks! Now it worked.
    Note: no need to erase and repartition the disk
  • I met the same problem when I first partitioned the disk and tried to install it on the newly partitioned disk. But after rebooting, the installation process went on smoothly. Maybe rebooting is necessary before installing to a newly partitioned disk?
    I've installed it successfully, but how to change the screen resolution?
  • @SkyWolf

Open System preferences, select Displays and choose your resolution from there.
  • Can I burn the 3 isos to a single DVD?
  • i'm trying to install this on pearpc, but it doesn't support disk switching while running, so what i'm thinking about is to make a single iso so i can have a "install dvd", but how do i do this? i didn't find any install dvds on the internet, and the ones i tried didn't work, pearpc just freezes when i put those install dvds.
  • There are 0 DVD's for Panther. Use QEMU since PearPC has a glitchy mouse and internet support @RetroGamerCX
  • @thaexp No, it is not possible.
  • Is just disc #1 needed to install Mac OS 10.3?
  • @helloisthispizzahut
    Yes, just disk 1 needed to install it in QEMU.
  • Okay, it worked. Thank you!
  • Disk 2 is needed to do an upgrade from previous versions.
  • edited January 2023
    The 'upgrade' part of this disk seems bad
  • On qemu i format the disk using disk utility, but it says you can not install mac os x on this volume.
    I tried the extended and extended(journaled) format but it still says it, is there a fix?