What type of checksum?

All downloads from WinWorld Library have checksums attached to check file integrity. I have not found what type of checksum it is. Even checksum type detectors are not able to determine what type it is. Is it MD5, SHA1 or something different? It would be nice to replace the string "Checksum:" with "[TYPE] Checksum:" eg. "MD5 Checksum:". Not really on topic: I have some time ago tried to check download checksum. Not only I have not found what type it is, but even after trying all possible checksum types none was matching. It looks like there is some technical problem with download checksums.

Comments

• Actually, the checksums were corrupted some time ago and the staff haven't gotten around to fixing them. This thread has more info about it.

• edited September 2018

Can't confirm for other files, but for 'Windows 2000 Professional (with SP4) (Retail)' it seems to be a SHA512 as that's the only checksum algorithm run on the zip file download that comes out with anything that matches the specified checksum.

It would be helpful if the checksum section stated what algorithm was used..

• @Istarian said:
    Can't confirm for other files, but for 'Windows 2000 Professional (with SP4) (Retail)' it seems to be a SHA512 as that's the only checksum algorithm run on the zip file download that comes out with anything that matches the specified checksum.

It would be helpful if the checksum section stated what algorithm was used..

Can't agree more!

• edited October 2018

I can confirm the checksums are SHA512. We're going to generate and add the more common SHA256 and SHA1 checksums to be displayed alongside eventually.

• I downloaded Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.00.2195) yesterday and got hte correct checksum with SHA512.

• I think I downloaded HUNDREDS of files before I got incorrect checksum. I was genuinely surprised when I hit incorrect one for the first time.

So you can be assured incorrect checksums are there but they are VERY-VERY rare.