Windows NT 4.0 4.0

edited November 2017 in Product Comments

imageWindows NT 4.0 4.0

Read the full story here

Comments

• In Server space, NT 4.0 was just as significant as Windows 3.0 was on the desktop. You now had servers that normal people could interact with. It was amazing in IT all the VMS, Netware, OS/2, and Unix systems that we're dumped in favor of running Windows NT 4.0 .

The lack of service pack 7, and the delays to 2000 led to the nightmare of NT 4+ option pack, which really should have been NT 5.0

I've always had a soft spot for NT 4.0, on the desk and as a server.

• when i try to install it on VMware or virtualbox, it works until i come to the "Windows NT licens agreement" When i try to press "page down" as it say i should, it simply doesn't react. It is very annoying because i want to make a domain controller .. arrgh can any please help me or am i forced to make an old school server machine just for that reason >:( please tjek it out, and fix it, or give me a tip on how to get by. It should work on virtualbox and VMware, because everybody use that today.

• edited July 2018

Is it possible to navigate with TAB-key (<- ->) and press the button with enter/space?
    Do you have a virtual PS2 or USB mouse in your configuration?

Theres another popular VM, qemu. It is quite easy to use once you have figured out how to use it, example:

qemu-img create -f qcow2 nt4disk.qcow2 4G
    qemu-system-i386 -m 128 -cpu pentium -hda nt4disk.qcow2 -cdrom image.iso -boot X
    where X stands for: C=disk, D=cdrom

• Does anyone have the service packs for Windows NT Terminal Server - Alpha processor, because they are missing form here and the Microsoft links are broken except for SP6A, which is useless without SP6 please.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/246009/windows-nt-4-0-service-pack-6a-available

Thanks,

• Are you sure such things even exist?

TSE SP5 was available in 4 forms: for i386 and alpha, standard and high enryption: https://web.archive.org/web/20060216204429/http://www.microsoft.com:80/ntserver/terminalserver/downloads/recommended/tsesp5/default.asp

TSE SP6 was apparently released on in high encryption and for i386: http://www.microsoft.com:80/ntserver/terminalserver/downloads/recommended/tsesp6/default.asp?LNK=1

You can grab some packs from here: http://ftp.gnome.org/mirror/archive/ftp.sunet.se/pub/security/vendor/microsoft/service-pack/usa/

But not sure if these are SP5 or SP6

• Hi, It looks like none of these locations have the SP6 base service pack, as I can only find SP6a, which has SP6 as a prerequisite.
    Ideas?
    Or maybe I should migrate to the Win Server 2000 RC2 and work out how to extend the expiry date?
    Your thought?

• edited November 2018

@mindingulove said:
    ENG workstation version iso is broken.

Please be more specific, do you mean the VMware version or the SP1 version?
    Edit: I saw your post. Try to use instead the VMware image
    @SomeGuy there's no English version of NT 4.0 Workstation wihtout any SP. This one: Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (4.00.1381.1) [Korean] (ISO) marked as English is labelled with [Korean], and the only english one is with the SP1

• edited December 2018

SP6a is a full service pack. You do not need SP6 or any other service pack before installing SP6a. The 'a' variant is a fixed version of the original SP6, released just a few days after the original SP6. The Q246009 patch that @andrewrfp referred to earlier is for those who installed the original SP6. Those who install SP6a do not need that.

• How does one contribute Official Software? I have Windows NT 4.0 SP6 CD. Also does anyone have the Product ID or Product Key for said version of Windows?

• If it's SP6a (and not just SP6) in the languages specified on the NT4 Patches page, it's already here.

If it's something that is not here already, then use a file-sharing site like Mega and post the full link (with decryption key) here or PM @SomeGuy.

• Nice version. Debug bootscreen, no more futzing around with C:/>win, and stuff.

• please upload a korean windows nt 4.0 server

• edited January 2020

@Big Smoke, you have to download & install it separately. Click on the "Patches" button at the top of the screen, then download "Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a".

• is there a website that lets you run this and other old versions of windows online?

• @susone said:
    is there a website that lets you run this and other old versions of windows online?

First of all, why don't you emulate it on a specified program? What's the matter of why don't you use a program instead of the Internet?

• @Sabina_16bit said:
    What is the disk space needed for installation?
    Missing HDD space item in requirements.

110MB available hard disk space.

• I find it funny that the description claims NT 4 was unreliable, because NT 4 was pretty much rock solid compared to anything else at the time (the 9x series).

• @nick99nack said:
    I find it funny that the description claims NT 4 was unreliable, because NT 4 was pretty much rock solid compared to anything else at the time (the 9x series).

The cracks certainly were showing by the time of the ThinkPad T4x (845 chipset). Try USB mass storage transfers with such a machine (yes I know NT4 USB support is third-party but even MS' USB stack wasn't stable on the machine until 2000)! The resulting freezing and instability nearly brought down the OS and risked data loss on the flash drives in use. As such, machines of that era are better off with Windows 2000.

But it does run very well on my PIII-500 machine and there are no USB issues on there.

• @win32 said:

@nick99nack said:
    I find it funny that the description claims NT 4 was unreliable, because NT 4 was pretty much rock solid compared to anything else at the time (the 9x series).

The cracks certainly were showing by the time of the ThinkPad T4x (845 chipset). Try USB mass storage transfers with such a machine (yes I know NT4 USB support is third-party but even MS' USB stack wasn't stable on the machine until 2000)! The resulting freezing and instability nearly brought down the OS and risked data loss on the flash drives in use. As such, machines of that era are better off with Windows 2000.

But it does run very well on my PIII-500 machine and there are no USB issues on there.

While at first an OS looks solid, time may display the issues as technology becomes newer. So, technologies like the aforementioned ThinkPad may have not been compatible with it as they probably did not want to create service packs on this.

• what does .chk mean

• It's a debug build. "Checked" means it is built with extra range and sanity checking to catch odd internal errors. A normal build, AKA a "Free" build is free from that checking to reduce size and increase speed.

• Do you guys know if a Turkish version exists? I can't find it anywhere :(

• edited June 2020

Where is the NT4 Original RTM(English)? I can't find it anywhere

• What's the difference between Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (4.00.1381.1.chk) and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (4.00.1381.1.sp1)?
  • The "checked" builds have extra debugging stuff in them. Checked builds are not recommended for normal use as they may be a little slower.
  • For me it crashed before starting the windows setup :(
  • Here is the link that i already prepared the way files are in library:
    About 292MB / Microsoft Windows NT 4 Workstation (4.00.1381.1) SP1 [Polish] (OEM) (ISO).7z:
    https://mega.nz/file/nzpRTITJ#hXkwksK7sz7FWz9vzx6mt4jWVgzduun1wfeOi96Nza8

Inside there is Windows NT4 Workstation with Service Pack 1 - Polish language. ISO is made of genuine OEM CD i own. There are disc/manual front page images inside artwork folder, with few screenshots.

38MB / Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 6a [Polish].7z:
    https://mega.nz/file/SmoTSKgL#TIWH-2CziiSPPgCJAFAqLgDC4eTuoAYaHY5MMqkY5Oo

Here is Service Pack 6a for Polish version of WinNT4 for i386 arch.
  • @Shinx Techs
    "What's the difference between Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (4.00.1381.1.chk) and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (4.00.1381.1.sp1)?"
    The Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (4.00.1381.1.chk) is a checked/debugged version of the Windows NT 4.0 Workstation RTM, while the Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation (4.00.1381.1.sp1) is a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation that includes Service Pack 1.
  • Works well with QEMU :)