Windows 95 OSR 2.5

Comments

• can anyone help me with this error message: "While initializing device IOS:
    Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."
    After a reboot it still gives the same error... only the options command prompt only/safe mode command prompt only

• Your computer's actually too fast - this is due to programming errors in Windows 95. Check the patches section for some fixes. I note some VM software will also try to work around this as well - I think I didn't have to do any patching with VMware.

• I think this MSFN topic helped me when I dealt with that error in my VirtualBox VM. I think this uses the "AMDK6 Update" and the "Windows 95 DUN 1.4 Update" listed in the Patches section, if I read it correctly.

• you need to use something called fix95cpu

• or you can just disable hardware accleration(intel v-tx amd's one) but only in virtual box

• @mesub said:
    you need to use something called fix95cpu

For posterity, the link I posted is where one can download fix95cpu.

• @ZylissZockerHD said:
    can anyone help me with this error message: "While initializing device IOS:
    Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."
    After a reboot it still gives the same error... only the options command prompt only/safe mode command prompt only

You have to disable Enable VT-x/AMD-V" If your using virtualbox like me

• During setup, no matter what ISO i use, it says "Please insert the disk labled 'Windows 95 Disk1', and then click OK." I have the disk inserted but when I click OK it says "The File [insert file].dll could not be found on 'Windows 95 Disk1'". I click skip on all of them and the next time it reboots, it won't start up because an important file is missing.

• @TheGoldenPig said:
    During setup, no matter what ISO i use, it says "Please insert the disk labled 'Windows 95 Disk1', and then click OK." I have the disk inserted but when I click OK it says "The File [insert file].dll could not be found on 'Windows 95 Disk1'". I click skip on all of them and the next time it reboots, it won't start up because an important file is missing.

Before setup, copy the CD contents to a folder on the HDD.

• So I'm using VirtualBox, and every time I start up the VM, it says, "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted." I have tried every single boot device possible and it still says that. I am using OSR 2 ISO (CD). Can someone help?

1. Use a floppy boot disk (Provided here) to partition the hard disk.
    2. After the reboot, format the hard disk with the option /s (To speed up the process add the /u switch)
    3. Copy all the CD files to the hard disk.
    4. Release the floppy disk and the CD and reboot
    5. You'll boot to a DOS prompt, go to the directory of the installation files and execute setup.exe
    6. Install Windows 95 as normal
      This steps work in most cases
  • edited April 2018

@SistemaRayoXP said:
    1. Use a floppy boot disk (Provided here) to partition the hard disk.
    2. After the reboot, format the hard disk with the option /s (To speed up the process add the /u switch)
    3. Copy all the CD files to the hard disk.
    4. Release the floppy disk and the CD and reboot
    5. You'll boot to a DOS prompt, go to the directory of the installation files and execute setup.exe
    6. Install Windows 95 as normal
    This steps work in most cases

It still says "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted." It did not boot up to a DOS prompt.

• Did you set it to boot to floppy first?

Even then, VirtualBox runs Windows 9x pretty poorly. Use PCem or 86Box to install them.

• Also remember to format using format (drive): /s. If you don't inlcude the /s, you'll not copy the system files and it will never boot. Also make sure that you have at least one active partition (And that you copy the system files there). Eg.

format C: /s /u

Where C: is the first primary partition in a 2 GB hard disk, /s makes it to copy system files after formatting and /u makes the formatting process unconditional (Which makes formatting faster)

• Someone thinks they're clever, changing the required disk space entry to 666MB...

• Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.

• @kitty said:
    Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer.

It could likely mean your CPU is too fast. You need to install a patch or don't run it in VMware or Virtualbox.

• @kitty said:

You need to install fix95cpu from here: https://www.msfn.org/board/topic/141402-windows-95-21ghz-cpu-limit-broken/

• @Totengeist said:

@kitty said:

You need to install fix95cpu from here: https://www.msfn.org/board/topic/141402-windows-95-21ghz-cpu-limit-broken/

I found out how, just disable the hardware acceleration (amd-vt acceleration) from settings

• @BF10 said:
    Did you set it to boot to floppy first?

Even then, VirtualBox runs Windows 9x pretty poorly. Use PCem or 86Box to install them.

This is a myth. Once you have installed a proper video driver, everything goes well, especially in cojunction with KVM.
    PCem oder 86box (fork of PCem) CANT be that fast, as they are using real emulation and not translation+execution like KVM does. In fact they are using much more computing-power to do the same job.

A proper video driver for virtualbox is the "scitech display driver".

With this driver I am using Win98 in a VM without any problems, it runs totally smooth and behaves MUCH faster than on an old system.

• The best DOS-based Windows, especially without the IE shell. It also never gave me nearly as many stability problems as 98 or ME. It's a shame that no working drivers were ever made for USB 2.0 or my Mobility Radeon 7500, amongst other hardware. :disappointed:

Too bad it was too good to be sold to the masses. If it were, I believe 98 would have been the Vista/8/10 of the 90s.

• Has anyone successfully used the Windows 95 and Microsoft Plus OSR2.5 OEM ISO? I cannot find a key anywhere that it will accept.

• @august125 I've been able to use the key that starts with 24796 which is listed on the product page.

• Can you use this to upgrade normal windows 95?

• edited February 2019

Yes, but you will need to copy the setup files to the HDD and use either of these methods:

A) delete win.com from the existing win95 and install from DOS

B ) edit setuppp.inf and change ProductType=9 to ProductType=1

• A full Windows 95C configuration takes up just short of 200 MB of HDD space. 95C with IE3 takes up a max of about 115-120 MB.

IBM wasn't a fan of 95C, preloading OSR 2.1 on their systems well into 1999 (those that came with 95 anyway).

• @TheGoldenPig said:
    During setup, no matter what ISO i use, it says "Please insert the disk labled 'Windows 95 Disk1', and then click OK." I have the disk inserted but when I click OK it says "The File [insert file].dll could not be found on 'Windows 95 Disk1'". I click skip on all of them and the next time it reboots, it won't start up because an important file is missing.

Just copy all the cabinet files in the /WIN95 directory to a folder on the hard disk. When it throws that error, just change the directory to your folder with the cabinet files on the hard disk and hit "OK"!

• edited August 2019

I have no idea which combinations of VMWare, DOS, and either MSCDEX or the SoundBlaster driver installer (I'm really not sure which), got me into this strange situation with Windows 95 and Microsoft Plus, but...

For some bizarre reason I once had a situation whereby the CONFIG.SYS file had the following entry (not created by me):

DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana

There's a mysterious side-effect about the word "Banana", which by it's nature makes me curious as to whether it might be an Easter Egg. However, it may merely be due to some setting that is used when installing either the CD or SB driver into the underlying DOS operating system via WIndows, and letting the installer choose its own device names. So be aware that the word "Banana" might not be the only pain-in-the-ass side effect of this mysterious bug!

Basically, if there is still a line "DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana" enabled in the DOS's CONFIG.SYS file then you will be unable to process ANY file that has the name BANANA under the subsequent installation of Windows (including Banana.ppm, Banana.ANI etc) AND THIS will prevent things like the installation of Win95Plus! and indeed any other stuff that has files with the name Banana in them.

Once Windows is working and has its own CD ROM driver (seperate from the DOS one that appears to be in this CD1.SYS file), the cure is simply to "REM out" the offending line in CONFIG.SYS via MSCONFIG and reboot!

• edited September 2019

@BigAlUK said:
    I have no idea which combinations of VMWare, DOS, and either MSCDEX or the SoundBlaster driver installer (I'm really not sure which), got me into this strange situation with Windows 95 and Microsoft Plus, but...

Ok, I now understand why this all came about. I appeared to have used (in distant past) someone's template CONFIG/AUTOEXEC combo. And that person, clearly thinking "What's in a name" decided to use an arbitrary name of "BANANA" for the CD ROM device.

And that's a hint, by the way. The name you specify in using the MSCDEX becomes a DEVICE NAME, and thus has all the same interesting behaviours as COM, LPT1, NUL, etc. And that explains why you'll get some very strange bugs and behaviours if you are not extremely choosy about that name.

Mysteries solved - but what an amazing way to really screw up someone's system with a completely random and elusive bug. :)

• help, i try to install windows 95 osr2.5 + plus but i cant cause i have 1 gb drive