[Offer] Windows Powered

Have you guys ever heard of Windows Powered? It's an operating system that's like Windows 2000. But Windows Powered is, well, it's kind of hard to explain what this is, because I couldn't find a lot of juicy details about this OS, but I think they say that it's like an "embedded" version of Windows 2000. It's probably for things like payphones (anything that can use an embedded operating system), and high-end computers. So anyway, I'm just offering this because I found it somewhere on the inter web.

Here are a few screenshots to show you what I mean...

I actually have an ISO image for Windows Powered on my Google Drive, but I can't show you the ISO because the file size is too large.

Comments

• This is a fake.

Supposedly there was an add-on for Windows 2000 Advanced Server used with NAS systems by that name, but no genuine media has ever turned up.

And it is not much of an "offer" without media.

Payphones?.....

• @SomeGuy said:
    This is a fake.

Supposedly there was an add-on for Windows 2000 Advanced Server used with NAS systems by that name, but no genuine media has ever turned up.

And it is not much of an "offer" without media.

Payphones?.....

It's a very good fake at that. So many people think it's real that its "startup sound" has popped up in many Windows startup sound compilations. There's even a thread over on BA about this (from a while ago).

• Yeah, I think I have been seeing some people saying that Windows Powered is considered a "fake Windows 2000". I actually discovered this OS from YouTube videos with all of the Windows startup and shutdown sounds. There are also a couple video tutorials on YouTube on installing Windows Powered in VirtualBox and other hypervisors. That's how I got the ISO for this operating system, from the users who made those tutorials. But I have to tell you, it does seem kind of fake.

• edited May 2018

@SomeGuy said:
    Payphones?.....

There are these payphones (although not where I live-- I saw one on vacation in Europe a few years ago) that have a screen and can place VoIP calls and the like. They probably run Windows CE, not "Windows Powered" however.

• Okay, I just got some media for the ISO for Windows Powered. I actually got the ISO for it from someone else's Google Drive, and it was a RAR archive, until I downloaded it, extracted it in 7-Zip, and then put it on my Google Drive. I might as well show the RAR archive from that person's Google Drive account; https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KT-XqbyoT5M0FBeUlqNGRfTGc/view
    This is actually from someone who made a video tutorial on YouTube on installing Windows Powered in VirtualBox.

• edited December 2018

Looks like Windows Powered was indeed an actual Windows 2000 derivative.
    https://betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=39131

Even if you look in 2000 pro's NTOSKRNL.exe and msgina.dll you will find a Windows Powered boot screen and login banners.

I do think that there are numerous fake ISOs floating around; one YT video has a golden gradient during the third and final startup stage (login) whilst another has the regular blue gradient.

• Here's some more proof of Windows Powered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Large-Microsoft-Windows-Powered-Pocket-PC-Team-T-Shirt-New-without-Tags/352608303030?hash=item521917b7b6:g:D6sAAOSwt0dcUxu0

It looks like it was also supposed to be designed for PocketPCs. www.pocketpc.com redirects to the Microsoft domain.

• @nick99nack said:
    Here's some more proof of Windows Powered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Large-Microsoft-Windows-Powered-Pocket-PC-Team-T-Shirt-New-without-Tags/352608303030?hash=item521917b7b6:g:D6sAAOSwt0dcUxu0

It looks like it was also supposed to be designed for PocketPCs. www.pocketpc.com redirects to the Microsoft domain.

Well that's something you don't see every day :D And I meant the T-shirt, not Windows Powered. And yes, Windows Powered actually is an operating system for pocket PCs, payphones, ATM machines, and computer-based appliances. Because when I tested Powered out in VirtualBox, it sort of acted like an embedded OS.

• edited March 2019

Actually there are Windows 2000 and XP shirts in the related items. They're probably more common than legit Windows 7 licences these days. :)

Pocket PCs weren't x86 though, and ran Windows Mobile (which eventually became Windows Phone). Perhaps someone was considering making x86 Pocket PCs? Or a full port of Windows 2000 just like for Alpha and Itanium?

Apparently it was for server appliances/web servers/network attached storage; it would have been superseded by Windows Server 2003 for Embedded Systems, Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and Windows Storage Server 2003 I think.

• @win32 said:
    Actually there are Windows 2000 and XP shirts in the related items. They're probably more common than legit Windows 7 licences these days. :)

I actually believe you on that. Because one time I found a Windows 95 t-shirt on Google Images. But it wasn't a link to eBay, just a picture taken by someone who might have owned one.

Apparently it was for server appliances/web servers/network attached storage; it would have been superseded by Windows Server 2003 for Embedded Systems, Windows Server 2003 Web Edition and Windows Storage Server 2003 I think.

I'm pretty sure my post saying that Windows Powered works on ATM machines and payphones still stance, because that's pretty much how embedded operating systems work.

• edited April 2019

I found this when researching Windows Powered recently and thought it was interesting what he said: https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-OS-Forum/IE6-converts-Windows-Powered-to-Windows-2000-Advanced-Server/td-p/737018

Dell sold hardware with a Windows Powered COA on it (the user in that topic was questioning its validity after IE6 left him with AS branding), so apparently it was considered distinct enough from AS to actually be sold as its own product, despite the fact Powered was just 2000 AS with some sort of server appliance kit added on.

• It installs easily in VirtualBox with guest additions, if anyone's interested the product key is:

RBDC9-VTRC8-D7972-J97JY-PRVMG

• Good to hear. I found an ISO on archive.org last night of Windows Powered SP3. I'm assuming the SP4 in the picture here was obtained by installing normal 2000 SP4 update on it?

Research seems to point to the SP3 ISO being the "official" release by MS. All the others seem to be either hacked AS or customized in some way.

• @jonirob said:
    It installs easily in VirtualBox with guest additions, if anyone's interested the product key is:

RBDC9-VTRC8-D7972-J97JY-PRVMG

Yes, that's the product key for the actual Windows Powered CD. I actually have that written down in a text document on my computer, and I'm keeping it for future preferences.

@Sacred517 said:
    Good to hear. I found an ISO on archive.org last night of Windows Powered SP3. I'm assuming the SP4 in the picture here was obtained by installing normal 2000 SP4 update on it?

Research seems to point to the SP3 ISO being the "official" release by MS. All the others seem to be either hacked AS or customized in some way.

I don't have SP3 for Windows Powered. I think the service pack I have is SP1, but I'm not sure because it doesn't say in the ISO file name nor the CD ID.

• edited April 2019

I finally got a moment to try the SP3 ISO from archive.org. It works and accepts the key you listed and does install successfully. VBoxAdditions work as jonirob said.

Powered identifies itself as Windows 2000 Server Family (which IIRC all 2000 servers do) during boot, but as Windows Powered after startup. The normal Win2K SP4 installs on Windows Powered SP3 and yields Windows Powered SP4.

https://imgur.com/a/xvU81zX :smile:

However, I found (as with that Dell post), you cannot install IE6 on it without it changing its branding to regular Windows 2000 AS :/ The branding issue is just a visual bug (I checked before and after with various tools, the internal OS edition stayed the same: "enterprise server appliance" internally, and friendly name shows "Microsoft Windows Powered" in MSINFO32 despite the wrong branding).

• edited April 2019

That's a little odd, considering that ntoskrnl.exe has a Windows Powered boot screen inside it (checked with resource hacker)

There are also two separate Server boot screens, one copyrighted 1999 and another 2000 (the latter may be the one for Datacenter, which was released in September 2000)

• I thought it was odd as well, but I confirmed that the OS's internal edition code is in fact "Enterprise Server Appliance". It also took the Powered license key. The installer background referred to it as Advanced Server. IIS was preselected during installation. (I don't recall normal 2K server doing this, but it's been eons since I've played with a normal 2K Server OS).

@JonathonWyble Any chance you could share the possibly-SP1 ISO? with me? I want to compare its behavior to that of the SP3 ISO I have. Despite lots of reports that the SP3 disk is the real deal, I've found evidence that Windows Powered existed as early as mid-2000, which would put SP1 or even RTM more in line with Powered's original version.

Also of interest: Dell's PowerApp w100 shipped in 2000 with Powered as one of two OS choices (the other being RedHat). Software updates from that era for the product are still available for download...take a look through here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-pa-w100/drivers

• @Sacred517 said:
    @JonathonWyble Any chance you could share the possibly-SP1 ISO? with me? I want to compare its behavior to that of the SP3 ISO I have. Despite lots of reports that the SP3 disk is the real deal, I've found evidence that Windows Powered existed as early as mid-2000, which would put SP1 or even RTM more in line with Powered's original version.

Unfortunately no, I do not have the ISO anymore. I could maybe another copy somewhere, but Windows Powered is a bit hard to find due to it being semi-fake.

• Actually, I was wrong, the service pack I have for Windows Powered is not SP1, it's SP4. I checked the About Dialog when I tested this OS in VirtualBox, and it said "SP4".

• I had never heard of Windows Powered until this thread, and now I keep finding stuff that used it. Finally, a picture of a real PocketPC running Windows Powered.

From this eBay auction: https://ebay.com/itm/Hewlett-Packard-HP-Jornada-720-w-stylus-works-AS-IS-includes-Belker-AC-adapter/153719729884?hash=item23ca68eedc:g:lvAAAOSwfh1dfrgF

• There's a lot of stuff that's still powered by windows out there that you wouldn't think would be. Like almost half of all the gas station pumps in the country. :o Any Wayne Ovation series pumps are powered by Windows Embedded CE 6.0. :o How did I find out? On the inside of our pumps where all the circuits are, there's a little coa stuck on the inside wall! It's also on the board that has it install on it. When the technicians work on it, you can actually see a start menu button on the display.