Google no longer serving up Firefox 2 compatible search

Comments

• I stopped caring about YouTube long ago because so much of the content is mindless crap. And I don't think many people were using the older version of YouTube anyways. Really the most annoying part is that YouTube is removing support for all non-Chromium browsers that aren't Firefox. Even the fairly capable IE11 has a "This browser isn't supported" error page.

• edited June 2020

Well now... the old look has went away for real and worse, YouTube Classic doesn't seem to work (and yes, I did check the "Enable" box). Probably, the add-on is rather broken at the moment as I had seen it was updated today. I'll wait for a fix and if not, I'm out.

EDIT: Turns out the add-on is only partly working, as I see "disable_polymer" at the end of some channel URLs but not video URLs.

• edited June 2020

This user agent usually works for me:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 Basilisk/52.9.0

about the content on youtube, I'm surprised that google hasn't tried to purge all non-corporate/non-vlog-type content.

• edited June 2020

Yup, as of today the new youtube is up. Jeez, blinding white or inconsistent "dark mode."
    And of course with it, buffering has increased thanks to the continous running scripts constantly pinging eating up my poor quality network connection.

And despite being so seemingly "simple" with a extremely basic-looking page...

EDIT:
    Now hold up:

My my my...

• YouTube actually dropped the "unsupported browser" prompt that would appear before the front page. But long descriptions are still unviewable.

• edited June 2020

There are still extensions that can make YouTube more usable.

But what is there to watch on YouTube other than mindless crap these days?

I do not think Google is behind it, as it is more likely that so many kids have flooded YouTube for quite a while that the content just became like that. Why would also explain why almost every comment I post gets the through and thoughtful reply of 'ok boomer'.

• edited June 2020

Some videos that were there over 10 years ago and are suited to be re-watched. In fact, the official channel of one of my favourite comedies recently published some deleted scenes as well as special features from its DVDs (which I am too cheap to buy).

plus demonstrative videos like this:

but yes, video-based tutorials and vloggy-type videos are indeed a no-no for me. And I would like to see the pendulum swing away from google, as they are out-monopolizing 1990s Microsoft right now. We need a viable competitor that will survive any smear attacks conducted by the media.

that's all I'm saying for now.

• YouTube Classic just got a critical update in response to this and as a result, I'm greeted with the old look again. However, there's now three ways to make the add-on work by a user agent, cookie or URL rewrite (probably the appending of "disable polymer").

Even before this happened, I did grow used to the new look for a bit, and it did look better under Dark Mode. Also, I can respond to comments under the notification dropdown menu without having to jump straight to the video's comments to do so.

• The YouTube classic theme has finally been decommissioned. But all I had to was block remote fonts and third-party scripts in uBlock Origin for polymer v1's performance to be slightly better on my Pentium M than classic.
  • @win32 eh? I still see it on my end with the YouTube Classic add-on.

• Oh. I haven't been able to find such an addon compatible with Pale Moon/New Moon/Serpent. I had been using a custom Firefox/42.0 user agent which worked good until now.
  • At one time there was also a user script on GreasyFork that would revert it to classic, not sure if it still works or not. You'd just need GreaseMonkey for Pale Moon.
  • And of course thanks to Polymer, videos I used to be able to watch 1080P on i7-3520M 12GB Ram W/ Intel HD4000 is now laggy as heck. So unless you have the latest RTX 2080TI OC with 64-Core Amd Epyc and of course Google Chrome your viewing experience may be suboptimal.

Thanks. I love to watch aircraft takeoff videos on my tablet so I can reproduce the sounds and takeoff animation for 3D rendering while not consuming resource. Welp, now I have to use resources on my main machine for that...
  • This brought back Classic for me:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)
  • I think YouTube Classic finally broke. All options show the new YouTube now. Sad.
  • edited July 2020
    Try invidio.us. It's much faster than YouTube itself (Banias Pentium M certified) and has integrated download support (just right click on the video to do so).

Last week it was totally broken but now it works good. Google is fighting hard to kill these alternative YouTube clients so beware of future breakage.

You may have instructed your bouncers to keep the Pentium III, Pentium M, Core Duo, Westmere Xeon and Ivy Bridge i7 filth out of the club but we keep constructing tunnels into your coat check closets...
  • edited July 2020
    YouTube played fine on my Core Duo iMac running OS X 10.6 last year.

> Google is fighting hard to kill these alternative YouTube clients so beware of future
    > breakage.

youtube-dl has always worked fine for me.
  • edited July 2020
    YouTube Classic works as it should with the "URL Rewrite" option, as I've done just now. I've tested the "Cookie" option also and that didn't seem to work either, as with the standard "User Agent" that everyone seemed to have been using.
  • It has returned for me using the googlebot user agent.
  • I remember the great days when 1gb of ram, Pentium M 740, and 5400RPM 60GB IDE drive was enough to:
    Watch a *1080P* Yes! 1080P! music video, have a few Word 2003 windows open, a couple of downloads in the background all running together smoothly.
    Actually that was 5-6 years ago with my very own D600 with Pale Moon and Server 2003 SP1.
    Now I had to put a 780, clock mod, an additional GB of ram and a SSD for it to keep up.
    But it's still kicking and I will continue to use my oldest PC from time to time.

But thanks all for these suggestions. If you ask me, there a consortium of sorts to push to make older hardware seem more "obsolete" than it truly is and make people want to upgrade downgrade to the disposable garbage of today. There's no reason a web browser should consume more than a couple hundred mb of ram for a couple of web tabs (Chromium browsers). But no, thanks to recursive javascripting and inefficient web-design.
    All trying to mask the technological stagnation we've encountered. A 20 year old machine still in productive use? I plan to make it to 25.

Let's keep this up.
  • If you ask me, there a consortium of sorts to push to make older hardware seem more "obsolete" than it truly is and make people want to upgrade downgrade to the disposable garbage of today.

This is absolutely the case, and they work for the cell phone companies. It makes me sick how people seem to think I need to throw powerful computers in the trash and use a tiny toy smart phone instead. I don't keep track of what "only" works on smart phones, but I'm aware of a few things. You can't even turn on the TV news without them barking "don't forget to download our FREE weather and news streaming apps! (and buy the latest smart phones to run them!)" Uh, I can pull up weather just fine on web sites, and I don't mess with steaming but why would it not be available to desktop computers like they make it sound?

At any rate, at least whatever they did to youtube, it still seems to work on newmoon under XP, even if it is more sluggish.
  • Thank goodness the 'Request Desktop Site' feature exists on my browser (Firefox Nightly).
    I want a website, not a "app" (although Discord, for example, has a desktop "app"
    that is just Chromium without a UI displaying their site)
  • edited July 2020
    The whole push for Polymer was for immense laziness. Alphabet/Google wanted to trim down development and storage costs by over-using responsive design so they can deliver the same web page for both desktop and mobile users with little to no code changes. Yeah just throw half a dozen @media queries, guess on the resolution to adjust to and pray to whatever deity you believe in that it works right as you resize the browser to imitate a mobile interface.
    Then throw in the 19^3 javascripting. Oh, and make sure you make extensive use of external scripts to open the chances of XSS attack.
  • not a "app" (although Discord, for example, has a desktop "app"
    that is just Chromium without a UI displaying their site)

That's how Visual Studio Code, allegedly world's most popular software development tool, works. You're typing your code into a web browser!

And I hope I'm not enabling this new trend by extending Vista's kernel to run it.
  • If you extend Vista's kernel to be able to run Windows 7 stuff, there will be an immense amount of gratitute from me and I will probably wind up going back to it from Windows 8.1.
  • edited July 2020
    If you extend Vista's kernel to be able to run Windows 7 stuff, there will be an immense amount of gratitute from me and I will probably wind up going back to it from Windows 8.1.

yes

78 non-ESR (haven't tried 78 ESR) also runs if the ntdll function RtlQueryPerformanceCounter is replaced with NtQueryInformationProcess in the import table. It's x64 only right now, but I am starting to work on the x86 files. GIMP 2.10.18 runs (haven't tested later ones), as does Visual Studio Code 1.46, the Whatsapp desktop client, Pale Moon 28.10 and a few other things.
  • Personally speaking, I think YouTube Classic will end up going the same way as ClassicShell.

But for now, the URL Rewrite option is working flawlessly.
  • It annoys me when polymer worms its way around whatever I do to keep it from coming up.

But I know it's there when I scroll a page on Pale Moon and the page keeps bouncing left and right a dozen times after I touch that scroll bar.
  • Is it still possible to get channel pages in classic? Right now videos are classic but channel pages are polymer for me.
  • edited July 2020
    Okay @win32 you are going to have to explain more about how you did that with Vista. And how I can do that. Maybe a new thread, please?