Google no longer serving up Firefox 2 compatible search

Comments

• Gmail is acting up again in Opera 10.10. It logged me out, and when I try to log in, it fails, instead displaying some (probably erroneous) page saying it won't let me log in because my browser is "insecure". Yet it lets me log in with Firefox 2.
  • I pretty much gave up on older browsers and modern email. Instead I installed some oddball tweaks and got Outlook 2003 to work with MS hotmail. I think at one point I got gmail working.
  • Does changing the user agent to Opera 12.x work? It won't serve the 'new' GMail but it should serve the older version.
  • Opera 10.10 does not seem to permit changing the user agent to any arbitrary value, although it has options for "Mask as Firefox" and "Mask as IE".
  • edited July 2020
    In spite of YouTube's Classic deprecation, the page that appears when you are given a choice of accounts to use is still based on Classic with no Polymer equivalent existing.

And that page is broken as it always signs you into one particular account regardless of the one you choose. At least on UXP (Pale Moon)-based browsers.
  • Does a newer browser help? I know Pale Moon has a different UX, but from what I heard it is still based on Firefox 52.

But why bother with it when there is nothing worth watching?
  • I'm with Firefox 68 ESR currently, and I'd think whenever my browser gets upgraded to 78 ESR in about two months, the experience with the new YouTube might be better, but I'm just assuming things.
  • ESR versions usually are a bit behind shortly before they are EOL.
  • I'm only with ESR because I began to hate the regular Firefox over time, even with higher memory usage I've been seeing. Plus, Firefox 55 would've been the last straw for me.
  • I'm still pretty content with Pale Moon. Though some times anything Google quits on it.I can't stand modern firefox. The last good one (to me) was 28 before they just started copying other browsers.

Pretty much suits my needs perfectly. And not resource hogging either.
  • edited September 2020
    Just happened notice - the main login page on monster.com does not work in the latest Palemoon, newmoon, Basilisk for XP, and TenFourFox. Clicking the "sign in" button just does nothing.

Seems extra dick-headed on a job site like Monster. Yea, everyone can buy a new Windows 10 laptop running Gurgle Crumb... as soon as they get a job... but they can't because they can't access the site! Might as well just round up everyone without the latest and greatest and literally exterminate them.
  • edited September 2020
    Hmm, it works on Pale Moon with my gutted 10240 install.

But something is telling me there might be some useragent sniffing shenaniganry where it blocks out old OS.

That inefficient page optimization is killing me. Probably another Google SSO implementation that looks horrible on anything other than a phone. And especially horrible on a high-res not-so-shortscreen monitor.
  • It seems to work on Firefox 68 for me. It is somewhat new but already a year old.
  • Hmm. The palemoon version I tested is 28.13.0 32-bit on Windows 10 32-bit. It does work in current official Firefox 32-bit. I did try disabling the ad blocker just to be sure.

BTW, one does not need an account to see if the button does not work. Enter anything that looks like an e-mail address, and a gibberish password, and clicking the button won't even display an error.
  • edited September 2020
    Ah, the sign in button you have to click. I simply thought getting to the page was the issue, my bad.

Specifically, this code:
    function loginFormValidate() { resetLoginFormValidationMessage(); var isEmailFieldValid = validateEmailField(); var isPasswordFieldValid = validatePasswordField(); if (isEmailFieldValid && isPasswordFieldValid) { login(event); return false; } }

On proper browsers, the code doesn't execute because "event" isn't passed down correctly to login() from wherever it was declared initially, so the entire login button's code is invalidated and not run.
    On other browsers (chrome), their JS engines don't care and assume. That is wrong. Another instance of web-developers catering to Chrome and following its quirks (just like IE6!!!!). Forcing conventional Firefox to adopt that and follow suit just to stay relevant.
    And leaving users of browsers that don't adopt such insanity in the dust.

I actually looked this one up. I can see a few results from years ago where pulling this off would work fine in Chrome, but not on Firefox.
  • edited September 2020
    Pale Moon being based on Firefox 38 from 2015 might explain why the JS engine acts differently.

There is webcompat.com for such things, so I might see if it is already there.
  • It's a sad day... disable_polymer=1 has stopped working. We're all forced with the new YouTube from now on.

:'(
  • edited November 2020
    And on today's list of jacked up google activity, google now reserves the right to monetize your video for their profit. And not have to pay you anything but "free hosting" until you can join their YPP.

So ads on the video, ads on the sides. And ads on the actual youtube pages.
    And small-timers who can't meet the YPP just get "free hosting." As if there weren't enough ads on youtube itself to pay for the damn hosting.

Use a different service. I don't know why people still use youtube to this day.
  • What service do you use?

Coincidentally, I tried logging in to youtube with an old account I had from back before it was tied to google. I've logged in every few years and each time they give me shit about wanting to "recover" passwords and such. Last time I had to send a message to their support. This time it flat out refused to even do that, just saying some bullshit that it "didn't recognize my device". This time I think I will just let it drop.

But back to the topic of things breaking, I recently noticed Mega now complains about newmoon. Fortunately it still works in Basilisk XP.
  • edited November 2020
    > @yourepicfailure said:
    > Use a different service. I don't know why people still use youtube to this day.

As awful as YouTube is, that's because the alternatives tend to suck (beyond most people only knowing about YouTube). Either they are filled with the same crap that YouTube is, full of morons that think that they can post horrific garbage and conspiracy theories that would be banned ANYWHERE (this has always been a huge problem, even on YouTube), or have shut down because the servers couldn't take the load/ran out of money.

Really, the internet is a horrible place, with a handful of pockets of smart, rational people.
  • edited November 2020
    @SomeGuy
    I upload the video to a file sharing service and send the link to someone. I kid you not. Even when I chat/message someone I do the same. And they are also able to stream from the link.
    @robobox
    Well yeah you do have a point there.

And so I remain on-topic, apparently my banking site decided to "hybridize" their IE6 compliant pages with modern standards. They've been running the same web-front for years.
    Which breaks, hangs, and is quite frankly not good. In addition, some portions remain unchanged so you wind up with the site occupying the upper-left of the screen and CSS menus like to disappear if you move the mouse wrong.
  • That is a good point. When I make a video available, I actually want people to be able to download it, preserve it, view it however they like, and take it elsewhere. Youtube has always been hostile against that kind of activity and with the youtube-dl fiasco has proven they are still being epically evil dicks about this.
  • Yes. I also prefer this (and people I communicate with understand) over dedicated streaming sites because *I* have control over the compression.
    This is crucial because sometimes the audio fidelity is key. Or the visual fidelity.
    I also have control over the sharing, and as you said, when I share a video with someone, I love it when they share it with their friends who have similar interests. One example is my 3D modelling videos have been shared by my friends to others who interested in the field.
    Only I "suffer" because of my abysmal uploading speeds, but everybody I share with has no problem because they have high-speed connections.

This also helps keep down the "assinine site change" or "assinine policy change" and other privacy issues that Google is known for.

• Big laugh at Google, they now no longer serve a Pale Moon 28.17 compatible reverse image search. Hopefully an update clears this up.
  • Arrag. eBay just messed up image viewing in Palemoon/Newmoon/serpent. Can't zoom in on anything now or right-click on the full window images. Of course seems to work in the absolute latest Firefockedup.

Also, there was a story the other day that Google Chrome will magically stop working on machines that don't have SSE3. There is still a 32-bit version, though.
  • edited February 2021
    Many websites will probably break on palemoon as WebComponents becomes more common (it is a fairly new standard). I wouldn't be suprised if they rebase off of 56 or ESR 60 soon (since 60 and even 68 still have much of the old code in there, and for the former it should be easier to fowardport code from 56, which is what SM will do).

EDIT: Seems like they did implement it, although only partially currently.
  • Arrrag. I accidentally logged out of Gmail in Firefox RZ, which had been working great, and now when I try to log back in it bitches that my browser is "not secure" just like they did in Opera. Crap.

I had actually intentionally logged out and back in a couple of months ago and it had still let me back in.
  • My GMail usage is pretty much on life support anyways, as the more usable classic version is almost dead, and I receive basically no personal email, use it only a few times for signing up for the few sites that don't need my phone number (sorry, not giving that away!), and some email from Wikipedia/Internet Archive about a fundraiser. Not even spammers target email or paper mail anymore, they just go on Twitter.

The free and open internet is teetering on the brink of death. And remember, just 8 to 10 years ago or so, it seemed like it was the opposite.

But maybe once this COVID-19 storm calms down, and with all the phone addicted morons gone, things will become normal again and the free internet will go through a boom (Second Roaring Twenties, maybe :-)).

Or about as normal as it gets on this primitive dirt ball inhabited by psychotic apes.
  • @robobox
    The free and open internet is teetering on the brink of death.

I would've thought that was the case by Article 13 those years back... along with net neutrality being under threat.

But yeah, modern Internet sucks... yet people saw it as a major lifesaver during the age of Covid. When that's over, let's go back to 2006, shall we? :#
  • It's odd. I just signed into GMail using IE 6 updated for TLS 1.1 (?) and it's working fine on the basic HTML version. I wonder why it's complaining about "Firefox RZ" (whatever that is)? If RZ is RetroZilla, that should still be fine. It also worked in that browser on Windows 95 a few days ago.