Windows 2000 Modernization Tips

12346»

Comments

• Hi everyone!

I had a problem with the Win 2000 install. When I try to install ACPI mode the system is froze then I installed with Standard PC mode it is done with the install but slow. The computer is a Fujitsu Siemens LI1718 with 2GB RAM and Intel Core Duo 1.87 Ghz processor. I installing now the USP5.1 update.
  • Thanks! Is this the Extended Core? :) Okay I will try it. If i install it instead of intergrating may be cause any problem?
  • It is preferable to integrate since it updates the ACPI HALs.
  • Okay. If i integrate With USP i can install in ACPI mode? :)
  • I think so. They have to as they are the most advanced ACPI files available for Windows 2000.
  • The Nlite does'nt integrate but it put in the SVCPACK folder. Is this okay?
  • I don't think so as it should be in I386 and again in driver.cab. So it may not work best for the job.

Using the extended kernel plus the ntdllx3 built by the same guy who made the KB979683 installer, I have upgraded MMC to version 3.0 in Windows 2000. I copied over the files and registered mmcndmgr.dll and mmcshext.dll.

This will allow XP-compatible MMC snap-ins to work. 2000 native ones work, but some may give off non-fatal errors.
  • edited July 2020
    I'd like to add OpenRCT2 to the list of compatible games. I used the Vista version of MSVCRT.dll in the extended kernel, and the latest build for Windows XP, which can be found here: https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/releases/tag/v0.2.6

• Am i just copy to I386 folder and compress it to Driver.cab the extended core files it will use the Windows 2000 or not?
  • edited August 2020
    Yes it should. You don't even need to compress or rename the files that are directly in i386.
  • I see i will try this method in this weekend or whenever... :)
  • The Setup is complete now but when i want to start Windows is still froze the Startup Screen...
  • i get a vga.sys is corrupt error loading setup when i slip extended core in. i think its caused by the videoprt.sys file
  • yeah, you might want to replace both with the older version.
  • Hello! Do these procedures work on Whistler builds (2419 in particular)? I would like to try modernize it on a VM.

I'm assuming that the USP doesn't work at all. Maybe KernelEx still manages to work?
    Stay safe and thanks in advance! :)
  • Nope, Whistler 2419 (and probably everything from 221x up) is too different from Windows 2000.

It's also far too unstable, as it will bugcheck/BSoD if you try installing 7zip.
  • Ouch!
    Well, at least I can eliminate this idea from my checklist! 😄
    Guess I'll stick with regular Windows 2000. But thanks for the response.
  • 2416 was better, and is the last of the "True" whistler before it moved to Xp-like. I actually used it day-to-day for some time.

I digress. Has anybody tried Windows 2000 on a 170 board? I've got a z170 board I'd very much like to run 2000 on, however I'd think it is too new.

• edited August 2020
    X99 is the highest known to install Windows 2000. You should try disabling extraneous devices like serial and parallel ports before you try to install. And hopefully you have PS/2 ports on your board because of a oversight in Windows 2000's usb.inf, but try making this change:

[EHCI.CopyFiles.NT]
    usbd.sys
    usbehci.sys
    usbport.sys

Otherwise, it only copies over usbd.sys if UHCI controllers are detected, and the USB 2.0 stack also needs usbd.sys, causing them to fail by default on H61 and above.

Later ones (like this unknown board with an i7-8700K) seem to need a more convoluted procedure:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180931-windows-2000-beta-drivers-for-testing-purposes/?do=findComment&comment=1175597
  • edited August 2020
    Hmm, thank you I'll ponder about these tips.

Storage is not an issue I'll wind up slapping the LSI 20320IE and use SCSI disk. So I don't care too much about that. And luckily there is a PS/2 combo port, I'd just need to find the y cable. And I think I have a PCIE x16 GPU with 2000 drivers. It's just figuring that USB 3 that'll probably be the difficult part. And getting ACPI working.

Thank you very much.
  • OK. I'm stuck trying to install the windows update agent so that I can get updates to work with a WSUS server. I have installed the pre-reqs and I am logged on as admin but it wont budge: