Windows 1.0 Alpha

124»

Comments

• You know the fact that MS-DOS cannot read an un-formatted partition, right?
  • Yes, but I can't format it. It says C: is wrong or something like that!
  • From drive A, type "format c: /s" and see what happens. If you don't format the partition, I can guarantee you (I put $1000 on it) that DOS cannot read the partition.
  • edited September 2020
    @vio08
    You have to format it after you've created it using FDISK. Use "format C: /s" and then copy all of the files afterwards.
  • @vio08
    Wait, try using SCSI format. Early DOS version (most notably PC-DOS) do not like IDE partitions.
  • @vio08
    I sent you a comment on the video with the channel KintenXP. Maybe that will help?
  • edited September 2020
    @Lollipop
    How can I use the SCSI format?
  • @vio08
    Sorry for the late response, but...
    Power off your virtual machine. Click on your virtual machine in the library. And click Edit Virtual Machine Settings. Click Hard Disk (IDE) and click Remove. Click the Add button and then click Hard Disk and then click Next. Then choose SCSI and then press Next. Press Use a Existing File and browse for your virtual machine folder and then click your vmdk file. Then press Ok. Go to MS-DOS and delete the partition then re-create the partition and it should format it.
  • edited September 2020
    Oh, I was wrong! I wrote "format c: \s" instead of "format c: /s" and didn't know it!

• edited September 2020
    I never thought it would be so easy to install PC-DOS 3.00 and Windows Alpha on VirtualBox. I thought it was impossible until now. :smile:

You can have my VM, just in case you want it, you'll need to run the Cutemouse by typing ctmouse.exe then do cd c:\windows\test and finally do win.

Here is the file http://www.mediafire.com/file/ssmaa1xuvr65vj2/file
  • @msdos6000

I mean, I don't see any problem using a paper shredder as a graphics card. That's just customization to a whole new level.
  • Someone send me the files and videos to installation of DR5, Alpha, and Beta?
  • Yeah can someone help me install those versions too?
  • Installation of Windows 1.0 DR5, Alpha Release and Beta Release is as easy as reading text on a screen and performing what it asks you to do. If you cannot do that (which means you might have some sort of disability), then there are pre-made VMs. If you cannot find or use pre-made VMs, then I am sorry but nobody can help you - searching and reading previous posts is not that hard.

DR5:
    • Configure an 86Box or a PCem VM - use CGA and Microsoft Mouse
    • Install MS-DOS 2.11 or IBM PC-DOS 3.00
    • Boot from C drive, insert first installation disk in drive A:
    • Read readme.doc (copy install.bat to c:\)
    • Go to C: and run the copied install.bat
    • Follow instructions
    • Run Windows
    Alpha Release:
    • Configure an 86Box or a PCem VM - use EGA and Microsoft Mouse
    • Read readme.doc (copy wininst.bat to c:\)
    • Go to C: and run the copied wininst.bat
    • Follow instructions
    • Select EGA driver
    • Run Windows
    Beta Release:
    • Configure an 86Box or a PCem VM - use EGA and Microsoft Mouse
    • Create C:\WINDOWS
    • Go to A:
    • Run setup.exe
    • Follow instructions
    • Select EGA (more than 64K) driver
    • Run Windows
    Don't bother trying to install them in VMware, VirtualBox or DOSBox if you can't get them working in emulators. Also, do not even think about patching display drivers or mouse drivers because if you cannot perform a Windows 1.x installation, there is no way you can copy a patched driver to the right place and select it during installation.

I am willing to help you step-by-step if you DM me on Discord. Otherwise just learn how to import a VM. Beware that VMware does not support CGA or SVGA well.
  • edited September 2020
    Nah it's that I was kinda confused.

Besides since I almost never use PCem I did need some help with that.
  • @DPlex64

PCem configuration:

Machine: AMI 286 clone
    CPU: 286/6
    Memory: 640 KB
    Video: CGA
    Mouse: Microsoft 2 button (serial)
    HDD: [IDE] Standard IDE Sectors 32 Heads 16 Cylinders 30 Size 7mb
    Floppy 5.25" 360k
  • edited September 2020
    Ok thanks :smile:
  • Still confused, but thanks anyway.. (I use VMware and VirtualBox and I do not know how to operate any other VM)
  • edited October 2020
    If you want to use VMware, you can see my video!
    ( My video is installing 1.00 Windows Developer Release 5 to VMware, but installing Windows 1.00 Alpha Release is similar!)
    ( Different things : Instead of "kernel", you should type "win". Also, you don't have to type "drivers EGAHIBW". The files are different, too! )
    There might be other differnt things, so I will make a Windows 1.00 Alpha install video soon!

I used MS-DOS 2.11 Toshiba OEM, Windows 1.00 Alpha, CTMOUSE.EXE, and DIDN'T edit MOUSE.EXE!
    The file is here : https://blog.naver.com/vio08/222110135780, and it works!!!
  • edited November 2020
    I finally made the "Installing Windows 1.00 Alpha Release on VMware" video!!!!!!!!!!

I used MS-DOS 2.11 Toshiba OEM, Windows 1.00 Alpha, CTMOUSE.EXE, and DIDN'T edit MOUSE.EXE!
    The file is here : https://blog.naver.com/vio08/222110135780, and it works!!!
  • I need sound.exe to complete the setup
  • edited October 2021
    @Mr%20Clowns4272
    If you're using VMware, you have to use the edited file!