MS-DOS 2.x

edited May 2020 in Product Comments

MS-DOS 2.x

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• When I'm trying to install Visi On, I get a error saying "Non-DOS disk error reading drive A" everytime I run or type a random word the error appears. I am using 86box by the way, to avoid confusing with real hardware. Any solutions?

• You need to use 86f images for Visi On in 86Box.

• Well, the thing is. That error happened me when using your 86f. files. I re-downloaded them to make sure if they were corrupted but the problem persists.

• edited June 2020

Ah, I think it could be a mismatch between 86f version and 86box version. I think there were some changes to the format recently that would explain this. I'll look into it.

• I created new 86f images from confirmed good MFM images using 86Box build 2306, so they should work. I've also included the MFM images as well in the latest package, so if you ever need to recreate 86f, you can use the "Export to 86f" option in the floppy drive menu in 86Box.

https://mega.nz/file/a8JAgYBA#uDLnrhKIgsLwVvV8f3rXe8-YnjLBeSscJ9Q0Dzlvxzk

• O.K. I finally installed it! Thanks a lot.

• witch of them do i download to download old versions of windows?

• Windows 1.00 DR5 and Alpha you use MS-DOS 2.11 or MS-DOS 3.00. Windows 1.00 Beta and Premiere Edition can run MS-DOS 3.30 through 6.22. I prefer to use MS-DOS 3.30 Most of Windows 1.01 features work better under MS-DOS 3.30 than later version of DOS.

• @kadencabs said:
    witch of them do i download to download old versions of windows?

You can download the MS-DOS 2.11 (NCR OEM) since it's compatible with all Windows 1.0 versions/builds.

• uh how do i install it im getting format failure

• edited June 2020

@kadencabs
    Run fdisk, choose 1, Y, press Esc twice and let it reboot
    Run format C: (Y, Enter)
    Then copy to C:.

• Can try Format c: /s

• If your having format problems, try the Toshiba T1100 Plus OEM. Worked magically for me, got no format failures.
  • The "MS-DOS 2.2" is just corrupted mislabel of the TeleVideo OEM of MS-DOS 2.11.
  • Which version is best for VMware?
  • Missing Compaq 2.11
  • Here is a link for the missing COMPAQ MS-DOS 2.11 that you are looking for ..

The URL is: https://www.pcjs.org/software/pcx86/sys/dos/compaq/2.11/

Let me know if i can help the winworldpc community any further. Thanks
  • Thanks.
    I found that web site earlier. That was how I found out I was missing that particular Compaq version. Still looking to download the floppy image.

Also I believe that the Visual Commuter zip file has a corrupt disk image. The name is disk02s2.img. File size is 140,360. I'm, guessng it should be 163,840.
  • Read the documentation - that is a PRODOS disk. The clock/calender chip happened to include support for Apple II even though the machine in question is an IBM PC clone.
  • ah, sorry, guess I missed that.
  • Sweet, somebody located Compaq 2.11 thanks for uploading.
  • edited March 2021
    Please excuse me if it's already been noted somewhere, but I found out that MS-DOS 2.x had a few undocumented Unix-compatible commands built-in that were originally intended to be a part of Microsoft's XEDOS. XEDOS was going to be Microsoft's 1981 Unix offering for the IBM PC that fitted somewhere between its single-user MS-DOS and its multiuser Xenix, but was never released. Note that these commands were removed from later versions of MS-DOS so this makes 2.x rather unique.
  • that's interesting, but what are these commands?
  • @DeFacto This is the video that I got the information from, which explains the commands.
  • Since it seems too much trouble to just type the information rather than making everyone slog through a video...

The commands in question are: SWITCHAR and AVAILDEV

SWITCHAR=, when used in the config.sys, changes the character used to indicate a DOS command switch parameter.
    Additionally, when SWITCHAR is used, the path names use forward slashes instead of backslashes.

So setting "SWITCHAR=-" makes things a tad more familiar to Unix/Xenix users, but also allows compatiblity with any DOS 1.x program that used "\" in a file name.

Setting AVAILDEV=FALSE in the config.sys file causes device names such as NUL and COM1 to show up in a directory listing, and actual devices are accessed through a fake "dev" folder instead.

Both of these were mainly meant as compatibility features. But were removed as setting them breaks batch files that are coded for the default behavior.

I noticed in the picture at 8:21, BillG has a rather cool set of computers behind him.

Specifically, that looks like an Eagle 1600 on the far left. I've got one of those, and it is actually a good example of why these compatibility features might be needed. The EagleCalc/EagleWriter software (available here: https://winworldpc.com/product/eagle-1630-40-software-master ) actually use a file named "\.HEP".

BTW, if anyone comes across the "Test and Initialization Diskette" that contains the Eagle 1600 Computer-specific MS-DOS 1.25 system files and hard disk formatting tools, I would be very interested.
  • edited September 2022
    did someone have a bondwell model 8 OEM disk image? it should is msdos 2.11
  • *Microsoft MS-DOS 2.11 [Compaq OEM] (5.25-360k)
    --> This seems to be modified disk iamge on Boot ID & Volume Label.

Boot ID should be "CCC 2.1", not "IBM 2.0"
    It's easy to prove.

FORMAT A: /S

In this way, the DOS system files are transferred after initializing the diskette.
    Then, the boot sector can be deleted with a utility such as PC Tools or ANADISK.
    The answer is easy to find if you do a search.

Or you can seek disk image by Hex Editor.

*Microsoft MS-DOS 2.12 [Compaq OEM] (5.25-360k)
    --> This is verified.

Boot ID is changed as "IBM 2.0" from 2.12

Compaq Microsoft MS-DOS 2.02 uses Boot ID""CCC 2.0", not "IBM 2.0"