piece of shit emachine

edited November 2004 in Hardware
As most of you all know, I have one of those "all in one" eMachines that look like an iMac well for some reason, I can't get the floppy drive or CD-ROM to work. They light up when the computer starts but it wont read from them. Meaning, I can put the original system restore CD in the CD-ROM thats bootable and it wont boot from it, same with my Windows 98 floppy disk for the 3.5 drive.

Any ideas how to fix this because I really wanna fix it so I can sell it.

Comments

• Lol, How about opening it, hooking up a different CD, rfmting, then just closing it back up?
  • i dont know how...i dont got the manuals or anything...plus I really dont wanna open this "all in one" shit and I dont got another CD-ROM
  • Is the floppy light on constant fromthe time it starts up? If so then the cables in backwards.

Moved to Hardware support to keep it on topic.

-Q
  • If he hasnt opened it, then it wouldnt be upside doen.

The drive could be bad, I got a few drives that light up no matter how I put them on
  • Does it boot to the hard drive?
    If so, can you see the A: or D:{?}?
    If so, maybe check the boot order.
    Thump
  • Yeah, the floppy drive light shouldnt be on like that.
  • Floppy drive light isnt on all the time..

Aight look, the system boots up to Windows 2000 Professional...but when i first turn on the system, the floppy drive lights up cuz its a test...normal stuff....but then when I get to the command prompt of Win98 (dual boot) ....it says the Abort, Retry, Fail when I type A: ....like a disk aint there but there is one there...

and the CD-ROM just doesnt read anything...like it dont work but the BIOS detects it.
  • Floppy drive light isnt on all the time..

Aight look, the system boots up to Windows 2000 Professional...but when i first turn on the system, the floppy drive lights up cuz its a test...normal stuff....but then when I get to the command prompt of Win98 (dual boot) ....it says the Abort, Retry, Fail when I type A: ....like a disk aint there but there is one there...

and the CD-ROM just doesnt read anything...like it dont work but the BIOS detects it.
    Well DevilsJim89
    I like the dual boot thing. I check by going to
    "My Computer" but I call mine "Puter" and seeing if there's a
    CD icon present. Try it with both operating systems.
    If neither works then it's almost surely hardware instead of
    software. You'd have to go in or quit. Check the ribbon
    cables. The power must be hooked up on the floppy.
    Did you get this new or has someone else maybe been
    in there before? Good luck.
    Thump
  • Well the Win98 dont work but Win2k does and there are icons present....yet none of them detect any media in there.
  • its an all in one machine so its a pain to go in...but im trying...and i dont think the wires could get lose since its all together, tight in there and stuff

Its this thing.....but im not the seller...lol
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51109&item=5112272247&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
  • Well if we could have confirmed it with both Op
    Sysem we would have been a little more sure.
    My icon disappeared a couple of months ago but
    it was the OS. If it didn't show up I'd still suspect
    the ribbon cables of being loose or bad. That looks
    like a pretty nice machine but I wouldn't want mine
    to be like that either. It still could be anything but it
    seems odd that neither the floppy or the CD work.
    If you were here I've got an old external CD burner
    that no longer burns but is still an external CD player.
    Maybe I can think of something in the AM.
    guzzle.gif
    Thump
  • Well, it boots to 2000, leave it like that. How much you selling for? I may actually consider buying it!
  • Hmmm.....well after flipping it over trying to unscrew the bottom, not successful due to i couldnt unscrew two screws...lol..dunno why but anyway i plugged it back in and i put in the system restore CD and tried again and it booted from the CD! And I was able to restore everything...now the drive has been formatted and its back with its default Windows 98SE installation...

Windows 2000 Professional ran like shit.

So heres my current plan, I'm going to wipe it down a bit on the outsides...ya know just kinda clean it and then I'm gonna sell it on eBay....now that everything is working.

how much you think i can get for this baby? lol...i need cash.
  • Yeah it was late or I would have told you to go ahead and flip it.

I took my old Compaq to Radio Shack where they were handling
    the warranty work and they were closed 'cause I was running a
    little late. Brought it back in the house and just couldn't stand it
    and hooked it back up and it booted right up. LOL.
    guzzle.gif
    Thump
  • Cool. Sell it before it happens again.
  • most definatly...on eBay I will...how much you think I can get for it?
  • Watch that one that you saw there. Maybe some mactard will think it's an iMac or something.
  • Ok Jim, samething has happen with me in the past with older systems. The floppy is starting to crap out. Probly from the heat of the monitor and the CD-ROM drive's eye is dirty or it is going bad aswell. Theres a little kit you can buy from O"ffice Depot that has a CD with a little brush on it and when you insert the CD the CD-ROM will try and read it and the eye will be cleaned. If you don't want to open up the PC then go buy on of thoses USB floppy drives.
  • Or hurry and sell it, hoping it doesn't come loose again.
  • You might want to put some pictures to prove it is not an iMac. Then you can prevent bad feedback.

What are the computer specs?
  • Celeron 433MHz
    64Mb RAM
    6.4GB Hard Disk

From a previous post
  • I guess I didnt see the prev post.

I think that would sell for $30 - $100 to maybe $250
  • All those pictures are just how my machine is...People will know its obviously not a Mac. I was thinking I could get anywhere from $250-$350 on it. And the good thing is, these PC's are selling on eBay, theres about 6 or 7 of em on eBay and people are bidding like crazy.

Not all people can simply afford a new PC nowadays. Its understandable.
  • im not suprised. the prices of them these days...
    if you went in to na high street shop nowadays you wouldnt find one under
  • Alright heres an update...

Intel Celeron @ 433mhz
    64MB of RAM
    6.4 GB Hard Drive
    CD-ROM works
    Floppy Drive is dead
    Windows 98SE and all original software is restored
    Case has some marks on the sides from where I peeled off some duct tape because I duct tapped an external CD-ROM to it at one point in the past.
    Screen is fine.
    Everything else works.

How much do you think I can get for it now? Come on people I need opinions before I go on eBay with it.
  • Well, is it possible to get those marks off in any way possible?

That might get a few more people bidding on it.

Does it have USB ports, Serial Ports, Parellel Ports, Externam speaker port Is there a speaker built in? Are you going to provide them with a keyboard or a mouse? Does it come with power cables, does it have a built in modem.

Anyways, You need to tell what is with the system like above. But go into detail, like if you were to buy a PC from tiger direct or comp usa.....

you can also tell what the PC is good for. EG. Productivity, Games, etc.
  • The honesty of admitting the duct tape marks might be good, too.

But $350, I can see someone who can't build a PC buying it, but you can build a good Duron or low Athlon for that price.
  • I hope someone gets to buy that PC. are you going to do Buy-It-Now and Bid or Buy it now or just bidding?