Mac OS X Software

edited October 2004 in Software
Any good recommendations for software for Mac OS X? I'm getting a copy of OS X 10.2 (Jaguar), and I wanted some ideas of what would be good for my Mac. So far I've got:

Mac OS X 10.2

Dreamweaver MX 2004
Flash MX Pro 2004
Fireworks MX 2004
Mozilla Firefox
Virtual PC
Norton AntiVirus

~Duff

Comments

• Transmit
    Mplayer 2 OS X
    Frogblast
    Aquisition

-Q
  • Duff wrote:
    Virtual PC
    Virtual PC for Mac? Are you kidding?
    So, on what CPU have u installed MacOS? On PC or on Macintosh?
  • There is a Virtual PC for Mac.
  • Really? Haven't heard...
    And is there a VPC for Linux?
  • Ofcoursenot! It's made by MS, they're not going to do that, most likely.

I haven't used VPC on Mac, mainly because I have a PC (B2.1) for that.

-Q
  • Yea, there is a Virtual PC for Mac, just look on MS's website. I just have it in case I want to use Windows on the Mac.

My system is:

PowerPC G4 350 MHz
    256 MB RAM
    10 GB Hard Drive
    16 MB ATI Rage 128 PCI

~Duff
  • Virtual PC was originally designed for the Mac! That was the whole point!! lol

Virtual PC for Windows and OS/2 came out much much later.
  • Yikes! Microsoft makes software for Macs!! Cool!
  • Yea MS makes/ports alot of it's soft to Macs. Office and VPC are the 2 well-known ones.

-Q
  • dont they do IE for mac as well?
  • Did. They got to 5.something and then said "To [CS] with this!" and dropped it. You can still get it mind you, but it's certainly dead.

-Q

PS. But, yes, it's true that they ported it.

PS. Only IE ver I've found that had an option to disable ActiveX.
  • Duff wrote:
    Yea, there is a Virtual PC for Mac, just look on MS's website. I just have it in case I want to use Windows on the Mac.

My system is:

PowerPC G4 350 MHz
    256 MB RAM
    10 GB Hard Drive
    16 MB ATI Rage 128 PCI

~Duff

:-|

I think Q's G3 is better than that.
  • :-| even my iBook is tons better than that.
  • Mine has a better Proc and maybe video, a slightly smaller HD and less memory. It also doesn't run System 10, which was slow enough on mine, but on a -100MHz...

-Q
  • I don't care who's Mac is better really. Mine will run OS X, Apple says so, and a teacher from my school has the identical computer and he has OS X on it, and says it runs fine.

~Duff
  • rubenerd wrote:
    Virtual PC was originally designed for the Mac! That was the whole point!! lol

Virtual PC for Windows and OS/2 came out much much later.

Ah... the days of Connectix.
  • connectix VPC is better than M$'s one
  • BOD wrote:
    connectix VPC is better than M$'s one
    im looking for the connectix version (since its unsupported) i havent been able to find it though.
  • nah. The MS one is better.
  • the M$ one never formats disks for u, u have to do it manually
  • Yup, connectix version is much stable...
    And M$'s always shows me that its damn period has expired!!
  • Hehe, I like they way in the Microsoft version they conveniently removed Linux BSD Netware Solaris etc from the New Virtual Machine Wizard...

Sneaky sneaky
  • Know what is scary. M$ has a

Mactopic (shrutters)

Seriously, look for Mac software, and you will be taken to a place on MS' site called mactopic.

Scary, yet true
  • Hehe, MacTopia is such a jib
  • What's so scary about Mactopia? It's just (I think) ports of MS's Windows software to Mac...

-Q
  • Haven't heard that, let me know how to install MacOS in top of MS Windows... I heard it's possible...
  • I think you can use PearPC, but it's slow. Other then that I don't know (Read: think) if that's possible.

-Q
  • I don't think Mactopia is scary its just I think Microsoft is trying too hard to promite themselves as a happy friendly software company and it backfired

The rest of their website areas (Windows, MSDN etc) are very professional, but the Mac one looks as if they don't take Macs seriously... just the vibe I got.

As for PearPC I've used it on my Windows 2000 machine with a GUI front end for it (I'm too lazy to edit text config files!). Works with Panther and Jaguar, but verrrrrrrrry sloooooow. Just opening a new Finder window took about 45 seconds!

I guess thats emulators for you lol
  • Yea PPC isn't the easiest thing to emulate. Then again, if you really wanted a Mac, I guess you'd buy 1 ;). @least that's what I'd do.

-Q
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.