Windows XP Home vs. Pro

Comments

• The list for people's ages has been moved to the Ages thread in the Random Crap forum. Take a gander in there if ya want.
  • On topic: I think only Pro can run MS Virtual PC. Therefore (because the choice of XP was out of my hands), I use the old Connectix 5.1 version.
  • it works in home too, just it says "The OS you are running is not support......."
  • Use TweakNT (I tink that's it) to convert it to XP.

PS: It doesn't really convert. More of a mask so program think it's something else. I did this with 2000 Server to make it think it's Workstation so NAV/AVG would install.
  • Be carefull with TweakNT, it can screw up NTOSKRNL and if it does...

You're SUNK

...in Windows!

-Q
  • Depends on what your doing. Registry changing to make it look like Pro shouldn't hurt much.
  • Q wrote:
    You're SUNK

...in Windows!

Hah! You read axcel216's site too? That guy is awesome!
  • I got that of Fish who I think got it from Calmira. I browsed though that site a while ago, back when he was on AOL! When I get NAFTA working I'll be sure to go though them again since it (NAFTA)'ll definately have a 9x OS.

-Q
  • TweakNT doesn't screw NTOSKRNL.
    It just edits some shit in registry.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • it works in home too, just it says "The OS you are running is not support......."

I was asuming that was true and was telling him how to trick it into installing.

Also. Does TweakNT add the ability for dual CPU's? TweakNT just hacks up the registry.
  • I dont think so, I think Home only has the single-processor kernel.
  • Yeah, build into the kernel.

Restistry hacking won't get you anywhere there.

Plus the Pro-only features that it won't help with.
  • You sure about that? I was under the impression that some differences were in the Kernel file.

-Q
  • I remember finding some rar package somewhere a while ago. Files missing from XP home... make it pro... something to that effect. I never downloaded it or examined it though. If the kernel is exactly the same, wouldn't registry hacks enable all the disabled features in home?
  • You sure?

It could of been the files that turn XP Pro in VLK
  • I've seen those too, but since I got XP Pro to begin with I never got any of them or asked about them.

-Q
  • yeah, I use XP home...
  • NTOSKRNL.EXE - single-processor kernel
    NTKRNLMP.EXE - multi-processor kernel, not in Home.
  • Aha! THAT'S what the file is!

-Q
  • then how comees i can onyl find the second one in the service pack backup files? :P
  • Maybe it doesn't install it because you're on a uniprocessor machine?

-Q
  • that would make sense
  • anyone got a dual-CPU machine?
  • Dual P166 non-MMX.

But NT4 wouldn't detect dual CPU's. Linux did though.

It has no CD-ROM and the primiary HD is like 1.2GB...think theres a 2GB in it also.
  • you could try to put XP on it, to see........
  • BOD wrote:
    anyone got a dual-CPU machine?

I do, but I'm currently using one. I'm getting a second one for Christmas. :)
  • BOD wrote:
    you could try to put XP on it, to see........

HD = 2GB if I put a Cd-ROM in it, I can only have one HD (1 IDE channel)

If I install XP, I gotta use winnt.exe becuase it's not bootable. If I do that, it copies to the HD. If it copies to the HD, there no room for XP.