How to overclock your cpu?

edited December 2004 in Hardware
How do you overclock?
Will my fan be able to keep my processor cool?

Processor: AMD Athlon 2500
Fan: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... ory=BROWSE
and my Mobo says it supports it.

During normal usage, and while seti is running, along with halo, my computers CPU gets to 105F

Comments

• There is this one clock option:

CPU Clock: it is set at 200MHZ, and has a max of 232MHz, just to tell you all.
  • change your Front Side Bus speed 1 to 2 mhz at a time until you are comfortable with the temperature it is at.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • At some point temp will matter. As long as you have a big heatsink you're fine. Also it's a good idea not to have the room the PC is in over 80*F.

Most motherboards will let you overclock the FSB in the BIOS. Just try not and make the FSB twice or tripple the speed. For a example say you have 333MHz FSB you might only beable to get a max of 350MHz. Just hope your memory can handle the overclockage.

Right now I have a A/C duct running into the back of my PC so it stays nice and cool. That little fan won't really help things on the CPU. Might have to get a bigger fan down the road and the little bracket that will let you hold a bigger fan on the heatsink. Also try and keep wires away from the fans and heastsink. Most of the time when you overclock the FSB the CPU will only get a few dregges more, most of the time it only raises 4 to 5 degrees.
  • doesnt overclocking invalidate the warranty?
  • If I get an AMD64 I'll probably just leave it stock for a bit... I mean how much power can anyone need?!
  • BOD wrote:
    doesnt overclocking invalidate the warranty?

Yes
  • TechHut I think you're fine with the cooling you have now.
  • ok if thats the case ill leave it, i paid for 3yrs ....
  • Overclocking will void the warranty. Although if you don't tell them you overclocked it then they won't know :twisted:
  • how do you unlock a P4, so you can change the mulitplier?
  • True, but like a lot of things, size equals better performance.
    (stop thinking that way, kids :P )
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Overclocking will void the warranty. Although if you don't tell them you overclocked it then they won't know :twisted:

LOL, true. I didn't just short out my HD while hot swapping it......the chip just blew :)
  • ok, i only got the CPU Clock to 217Mhz, at 218Mhz, Windows XP crashes at startup. I have gotten my 1.80Ghz Athlon 64 all the way to 1.95Ghz.
  • here is the problem though, i cannot find the multipliers. There is nothing on the motherboard dealing with multipliers, and the BIOS....

there is really nothing about multipliers, but there has got to be another way...

And thanks Tomchu for the advice.
  • Look in the BIOS for a voltage select for the CPU.
  • True, but like a lot of things, size equals better performance.
    (stop thinking that way, kids :P )

Yea but larger size isn't always better performance. 0wned.
  • *looks at AMD on desk..... goes nextdoor and looks at intel.....*

yep LOL
  • You fucking dumbass. On some motherboards it will let you select what voltage (Multiplyer) for the CPU instead of switching the FSB to a higher rate.
  • I've never OC'd... but I can't imagine how Volatage can be similar to Multiplier.
  • i saw this coming...but TCP got pwn3d..
  • I was drunk at the time on the last post. Damn christmas was fun. Anyway, I ment to say the DIMM voltage. I think the default is 2.6v Try changing it to 2.7 and then kick the FSB a bit higher and see if it's still unstable. The DIMM Voltage will change the voltage for the memory and CPU. I think the CPU uses half of the voltage from what the memory uses. Some motherboards just have the one setting that will control both together.

On my main PC's motoherboard has a little sub section just for overclocking. It lets you manualy change the FSB, The AGP bus setting and the DIMM Voltage.
  • This sux... really sux... i cannot do anything until i fix this problem:

Ok, I have an ECS 755-A2 Mobo and now whenever i turn the computer on,one long beep, then it stops, and continues for a long time.

I think i am screwed, and the Motherboards box said it supported overclocking. Yet the book says nothing.

Oh well, i dont think i am able to do anything until i fix my current beeping problem.