Gay cable connection.

edited March 2007 in Software
Hello, I wan't to set up a web server through my cable connection. But my ISP does not allow web servers. My ISP is Charter Pipeline. So is there a way to get around this and have a web server?

Comments

• OK, if you run i on a port other than 80, they probably wont notice. I have Verizon DSL, and host this forum, although they say no servers. Tech support said that as long as I dont cause network damage I wont get caught.

The problem with hosting on cable is that when you upload alot, it slows down your neighbors. And, cable companies DO have a 100GB/month limit that they do not tell you about. If you contact Charter, they will probably tell you that you DO have a 100GB limit.... thats the biggest problem you will run into.
  • Skip the 80s and use port 8080 or maybe port 69 and get a DyamicDNS and also get a domain and poit it to your DyamicDNS using the port you selected.
    Get the domain from hostway.com if you don't have much cash, it's 7 bucks a year. Also the domain will make your site more profesnial looking and also people won't have to type in a URL thats a mile long.
  • 8080 is genenerally used for router access (remote) I'd use somehting like 333 or 666....
  • My router uses port 80, ofcorse the router has a setting to have lan or wan access and when its on lan I can only use http://192.168.1.254
    If it was on wan then all you have to do is use www.tcpmeta.net or http://tcpmeta.dyndns.org
  • Ok, here is what I did, I installed Abyss Web Server and configured it to Port 81 instead of 80. Now when I try to access my router, 192.168.0.1, I cannot load the router's config page properly. I uninstalled the server program and it still wouldn't load properly. It would only load about half way. I have a D-Link DI-524.
  • Hmmm... MrClean has a D-Link wired 10/100 router... uses the same ISP as I do, and runs www.k6fish.net off of his connection... and his router loads fine...

Does the router page even ask you for a password? Also, you need to forward port 81 to your LAN IP address so people can access it.
  • Try telneting into the router.

telnet 192.168.0.1
  • I'll try right now.
  • It says:
    -
    Connecting to 192.168.0.1... Could not open connection to the host on port 23. Connection Failed.
    -
    Huh?
  • OK, I cant telnet to mine, but this forums ON my connection, so I know I did it right... And my routers a NetGear RP614v2 wired 10/100
  • Ok, to tell you who I am first, I am the "Guest" dude.

Now, I tried telnet but it didn't work. Do you think I messed up my router?
  • No, I dont... I cante even telnet to mine... personally I dont know what the point of telneting a router is. If your online, your routers working.

OK, http://192.168.0.1 should take you to a password prompt... the password is admin

From there you go to erm... virtual server..
  • Try resetting the router then try accessing it as useal and see if it works then.
  • But WHY? Whats the point of TELNETING INTO A ROUTER?
  • That is the problem. The browser can't load the config page. I've tried IE, Firefox, and Mozilla. None of them loaded right.

I think its a software problem. All I have to say is....

Oh well.
  • OK, if you cant even load the config page.. then... well its fucked pretty bad... and I'm totally amazed that your online LOL

Maybe your routers IP is different.. it could be 192.168.1.100 or something, check your connection properties and fnd out what the default gateway is.
  • Well, the config page could load up halfway...

Nope... 192.168.1.100 doesn't work. Default gateway is 192.168.0.1.
  • This teaches me a lesson. Don't install funny software on your main computer. lol
  • OK, somethng on the computer shouldnt be effecting the router at all... which is where Im thinking you've somehow screwed up the router...
  • Do you want me to attach a screenshot of how it looks like FishNet?
  • sure... ill get one of what MrCleans is like in a minute...
  • Here it is. Untitled-1.png
  • Damn that didn't work... wait (wrong)
  • RNRN
    edited February 2007
    Just go to here if it didn't work:

http://www.dfdsfdsf.webb-hosting.net/pic.gif
  • OK, the image showed up, the link didnt work :P

router.jpg

Thats MrCleans...

You may be experiencing problems wth a bad wreless link, try resetng the modem and trying again.
  • Weird. Now the config page doesn't ask me for a admin user or password. But the page still doesn't load properly.
  • You should try resetting it and see what happens then, but you will need to re-enter your username and password....
  • Since I am able to go online, I think I'll be fine. I will reset the hardware later.
  • Yeah I dont know whats wrong there... I'd reset mine if that happened...
  • Because you can also setuo the router though telnet.