specs:

Celeron 366 MHz
128 MB SD-RAM
4 GB HDD
4 MB ATI RAGE3D AGP
CD-ROM/FLOPPY
USB Mouse

What OS?

Windows 95A, Windows 95B, Windows 95C, or Windows 98SE?

Sorry, those are the only choices!

:badgrin:

Comments

• Why not 98FE?

Also, what about 98light?

-Q
  • lets leave them unmodified... And uhhh lets not touch FE. Hehe.
  • The USB mouse is going to be the tricky part. If you can't get the 95s to read it that sortof leaves 98SE as the only mouse-enabled option.

-Q
  • I was thinking the same thing... Which is why I mentioned it... Hmmm... I know C can support it... Does B?
  • http://www.usbman.com/Win95%20USB%20Guide.htm

Evidently A is completely ruled out, for B it depends, and C is evidently good to go. 98 has "native" (As native as anything in 9x got) support for it.

-Q
  • Ok, so its B, C, and 98SE...

I'm going to use this to play older games. :-D

Hmmmm

BTW: It was running 2K for a while... really slow... I just wanted to switch back to a 9x for nostaligc purposes.
  • DOS or Windows?

I seem to recall 98 was good with 95 stuff as well as DOS, so the difference should be minimal. The biggest concern would have to be the size of the installation, although that could be easily "pared down" without too much trouble.

-Q
  • Yes, DOS and Windows... which is why I'm ditching 2K... I want this thing to run as fast as possible, I'll install 98SE for now...
  • What about something like DOSbox in 2000?

-Q
  • I need something more... "native"...
  • 98, i ran 98 off something very similar to that com for at least 6 years.
  • I think 95 OSR 2.1 is the only one that supports USB either with or without an add-on.

It was basically an updated version of B (OSR 2.0) that OEMs used.

I'd just go with 98FE, seemed a little faster than SE on some PCs I ran it on.
  • 98 SE, but never FE it`s very, very buggy and problematic with randomlly ALL things. :(

so, 98 SE is the best way... :)
  • Agree with Fede, I run the same config on a laptop (just less RAM) and it runs fairly well. One thing I do judge what OS to use on a computer, I check the reccomended requirements on an OS and multiply it by 4. For example, Windows XP:

Recommended:
    300 MHz
    2 GB HD
    128 MB RAM

So the good peformance requirements would be:
    1.2 GHz
    8 GB HD
    512 MB Ram
  • RN wrote:
    specs:

Celeron 366 MHz
    128 MB SD-RAM
    4 GB HDD
    4 MB ATI RAGE3D AGP
    CD-ROM/FLOPPY
    USB Mouse

What OS?

Windows 95A, Windows 95B, Windows 95C, or Windows 98SE?

Sorry, those are the only choices!

:badgrin:

I'd choose 95C as 98SE is highly unstable, and 95C should be quicker. It's less supported, though.
  • Completely disagree with you alex, I think you mean FE. But 95B and C are not bad, if you want to go back that far.
  • I DID mean 98SE. I should know, I used it at school for five years and at work/home until last week when it died. It was terrible.
  • But why so quick to blame 98? I've use Windows 98 since 2000 and never had problems. Even on a Pentium 90 with 24 RAM never had serious problems (cept for lag).
  • I used it for seven years in total, crashes, bsod, defrag and scandisk crashing the system... :(
  • Hmm...that's interesting. I did all that and never crashed it. The only time Defrag crashed it was when my HD was going on me. Cause it moved stuff to bad parts of my HD.
  • Surface scan never found bad sectors after warning me that there were lots.
  • Yeah mine did the same, but that doesn't mean the OS is unstable. That's half your HDs fault.
  • Gah... I went on and installed 98SE. It feels much more enjoyable (less disk access) than having 2K installed on it.
  • Yeah, I wouldn't have put 2K on that thing. But good that you used 98SE.
  • Warnings in windows? Um...? Also, I shut down windows properly, it ran dos scandisk each time on startup.
  • Maybe there was bad sectors, but you know how they spread, happened to my laptop HD. But shutting down Windows properly doesn't affect Windows, it's just your HD. They grow old man, and get crappy.
  • Crappy and old? Just like 9x then.
  • Still I stand, 98SE remains one of my favourite OSes. I don't know what you guys must have done to your computers, but I was always happy with SE.
  • Take a CD out when it hasn't quite finished loading. *crash*

Use up all your RAM. *crash*

Need I say more?
  • BOD wrote:
    Take a CD out when it hasn't quite finished loading. *crash*

Just gives you Blue Screen, press a key and everything goes back to normal.
    BOD wrote:
    Use up all your RAM. *crash*
    Ran it on a comp with 24 MB of RAM with a lot of programs running, just went slow not crashed. Same with my 64 MB laptop, running it with Firefox, MSN and Stealthbot running
    BOD wrote:
    Need I say more?

Do tell.