Ahhh feels like 2004

Comments

• Take a CD out when it hasn't quite finished loading. *crash*

It just tells you to put the disk back in or press a key.
  • Yeah, but then it *wont* go away if you do press a key, and inserting the CD again just fucks the machine over even more.

Silly 16bit OSes
  • I've never experienced that.
    ==================
    ==================
  • Uh...Windows has been 32-Bit since Windows 95, nice try...
  • 9x was never fully 32 bit. :)
  • Whatever, true it was based on a 16-bit kernel but it was still a 32-bit OS running 32-bit programs.
  • No.
    Windows 95, 98, and Me consist of both 32-bit and 16-bit code. The Win32 API is entirely 32-bit, but DOS-based components, such as the boot loader and many of its device drivers are 16-bit. Additionally, some of the programs that ship with the operating system, such as ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter, are also 16-bit.
  • The Win32 API is entirely 32-bit

That's pretty much what were talking about...
  • Not all it's programs are 32bit.
  • This, like the '1377 posts' post is getting seriously pointless.

Just use cgi:irc if you want to argue.
  • Wipeout wrote:
    Still I stand, 98SE remains one of my favourite OSes. I don't know what you guys must have done to your computers, but I was always happy with SE.
    I agree completely Wipeout and it remains one of my favorites as
    well. I'd be running it now on one primary partition if my
    computer supported it. I fought with it for a couple of years
    until I got rid on the old compaq so I knew it well. The compaq
    crashed all the time, on 98, 98se, 95, and even dos. After I got
    rid of the compaq I never had any trouble with it again and it ran
    perfectly for me. And I would back up my C: partition on one CD.

Thump
  • alexzarach wrote:
    This, like the '1377 posts' post is getting seriously pointless.

Thanks self-proclaimed moderator. </sarcasm>

Very few things on this forum are truely pointless. This isn't one of them.
  • Why would I want to use cgi:irc if I have mIRC installed?
  • BOD, you're right that 98SE is not entirely 32-bit. But seriously, if a guy has never had a single problem with 98SE after 7 years, I don't think it's right to blame the OS. Now I'm not saying it's a perfect OS (far from it) but it's not right to beat up on it that much (that's what Me is for).
  • For the most part, Me > 98. If I had to pick anything out the of 9x line, it'd be Me.
  • Duff, if you ever say that again I will come to your house and cut you.
  • For shits and giggles, I'd love to hear why Me is so horrible before I come in stomping down all your arguments :).
  • Well, I don't know bout everyone else but I always had horrible performance, numerous lockups, incompatibilites, pretty much everything BOD said about 98 happened to me.
  • Me is *faster* than 98.
  • Duff wrote:
    alexzarach wrote:
    This, like the '1377 posts' post is getting seriously pointless.

Thanks self-proclaimed moderator. </sarcasm>

Very few things on this forum are truely pointless. This isn't one of them.

You're not welcome Mr Dictator
  • Can't be a dictator... There're 3 admins.
  • Am I a self-proclaimed admin then? I don't think so.
  • alexzarach wrote:
    Am I a self-proclaimed admin then? I don't thonk so.

Eh?
  • As said by Duff...

BTW, I've corrected 'thonk' to 'think'.
  • ALl you kids need to chill out.
  • I'm rather surprized that the common understanding amongst NTs, other OSes, and even DOS versions is lost when meeting on 9x:

People can have wildly different experiences with similar or different setups of the same OS.

And somewhat less: Minor things can cause major changes, where neither would notice it.

For example, WinUAE successfully required me to reinstall Windows by screwing it up. On a 9x system this could occur even MORE easily.

While it did get EXTREMELY unstable towards the verrry end, 98SE on my awful Compaq lasted for probably 6 or so years without a reinstall. I could just as easily imagined it having required a reinstall a month, as Fish's used to on the Aptiva ;)

Finally, as to extra-thread comments like "take it to IRC" / "This is pointless": Make a suggestion, and if people like it, they'll do it, if not, don't SPAM the thread. / If the thread is TRUELY pointless, it should die off. If not, a true and calm warning should have its effect, and if all else fails, three of us can block further posts or take the ultimate step and just delete it outright.

-Q
  • Well said, Q, Well said
  • Q wrote:
    I'm rather surprized that the common understanding amongst NTs, other OSes, and even DOS versions is lost when meeting on 9x:

People can have wildly different experiences with similar or different setups of the same OS.

And somewhat less: Minor things can cause major changes, where neither would notice it.

For example, WinUAE successfully required me to reinstall Windows by screwing it up. On a 9x system this could occur even MORE easily.

While it did get EXTREMELY unstable towards the verrry end, 98SE on my awful Compaq lasted for probably 6 or so years without a reinstall. I could just as easily imagined it having required a reinstall a month, as Fish's used to on the Aptiva ;)

Finally, as to extra-thread comments like "take it to IRC" / "This is pointless": Make a suggestion, and if people like it, they'll do it, if not, don't SPAM the thread. / If the thread is TRUELY pointless, it should die off. If not, a true and calm warning should have its effect, and if all else fails, three of us can block further posts or take the ultimate step and just delete it outright.

-Q
    Yeah Q well said; In my XP on my newer PC, i`d have to reinstall windows XP for almost 7 TIMES 8) :( :roll: :p :oops: so I think 98Se is a little more stable than NT series (excluding the original NT 3.X and 4.0) :)
  • BOD wrote:
    Me is *faster* than 98.

I honestly like Me better than 98. Its just that I don't have the install disc with me, and I don't want to spend unnecessary time downloading :O
  • I think technology and beautification wise, Me has 98 beat (no matter how small the change). But stability wise, there's not much worse than Me.
    I only have the upgrade disc.