Classic vs. New Start Menu

RNRN
edited April 2007 in Software
Which do you prefer?

Classic for me.

Comments

• Classic. Newstyle would take up about
  • I like new, but I like classic mode XP. So meh, whatever.

And as far as Vista goes:

If you're going to upgrade to Vista, you might as well take advantage of the eye candy. So meh, New for Vista.
  • Josh wrote:
    If you're going to upgrade to Vista, you might as well take advantage of the eye candy.

Or not, since the "eye candy" rarely serves any purpose.

-Q
  • Classic (as in 98), even the XP classic has its 'eye candy'.
  • New start menu (XP).
  • Because it's ownage. Although, the default layout is *awful*, but after screwing with group policy it owns.

startmenu2.jpg
  • Even in that state it's questionable. I hack it down as much as I can and it's still >3/5ths my screen.

-Q
  • Bod is right, I like the two columns when you click start.

I am much more efficient with the dual columns.
  • It's better in classic theme, but the classic start menu is much more simple (sorry for including whole image, I can't edit it on my Mac)

wvwinnt4srv07.png
  • What's the difference between the two "Administrative Tools" menus?

-Q
  • No idea, mabey one is 'common', the main tools and the other file is for all the other administrative tools. It's just a guess, as I've only ever used the NT 4.0 Workststion OS.
  • Personally, using the Royale theme on Windows XP is preferable for myself though I do prefer Classic when I am without the Royale theme on a system.

I just find the Luna theme of XP is too bland and blocky versus the polished and refined look of the Royale theme from MCE released by Microsoft to XP machines not all that long ago.
  • The classic-style menu. I start things by going to Run and typing the path to it or using Quick Launch. It's very rare I go into the Programs menu.
  • edited March 2007
    Yea, I using the Vista Theme for XP, it`s very similar to the original aero, and combined with the "transparent windows" capability of my card, it looks to original :) (I downloaded the theme vis bittorrent) I have the MCE theme too..... I used it 3 months and then I changed it for the "FakeVista" (is the nickname that I gave to it), the original name is: "Vista - Beta 2"

Here is the screenshot: (if it annoys, please remove the preview of the image How I can do IMAGE SCALE on the forum, are there an code for that?

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6766/fakevistakh7.jpg

AND FOR THE START MENUS WAR: I PREFER THE NEWER ONE, IT PROVIDES MORE FUNCTIONABILITY THAN THE OLDER ONE :)
  • EXCEPT. The Aero theme for XP doesnt have the Start orb that sticks up above the rest of the taskbar ;)
  • yes, but in the other things (windows, icons, wall), it looks like vista, and remember, It`s nickname is: FAKEVISTA :)
  • Q wrote:
    What's the difference between the two "Administrative Tools" menus?

-Q
    I tihnk one is for like specific tools allowed for the current user and tools that all users (or all administrators, I don't remember which) are given permission to access.
  • 16bit: What's Royale look like?

FV: If you're worried about the image being too big, just link to it instead of embedding it in the post.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    16bit: What's Royale look like?

-Q
    I have a screen shot of it in the March Desktops topic if you're interested in viewing it.
  • OK, I have seen that one a few times in the past.

-Q
  • I like the classic one (After organizing apps by what purpose they serve)
  • I prefer the new one, since now I'm really used to it. The Classic one is too small for my screen.
  • alexzarach wrote:
    ...The classic start menu is much more simple
    wvwinnt4srv07.png
    [/i]
  • What was that post?

-Q
  • I think he was just repeating what he said (or posted) earlier to re-state his opinion.
  • I hate the old start menu, for soemone like me who has tonnes od programs, its annoying to search for eveything and sometimes might even go off the screen. New for vista keeps it nice and compact. Looks good too. But when i was still on xp i used classic.
  • For Some reason i like the Windows XP New Start menu because it has all my most used apps in it because i only basically use the same set of Applications and it takes too much time to find them.

Yes i do know i could add my most used apps to the Classic Start menu but i'm too lazy :D
  • Mm... New Start Menu for sure. Classic looks somewhat boring, and doesn't keep everything I need right where I need it.
    startscanline.png
  • give me a damn dock ffs.

Mac OS X > Windows.