Classic vs. New Start Menu

Comments

• I love the dock on OS X, I wish Windows had similar functionality, but so far every dock application I've found fails so hard.
  • Classic Start menu for me. I can't stand the XP-ish "Start Panel."
  • I'm for the classic.

I keep icons for programs I use on my desktop.

I rarely open the start menu cause when I want to use the run box, I just use Winkey + R

Sometimes I'll use the XP start menu, but I'll set the recent programs thing to 0 and then put the icons I want on there
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    I love the dock on OS X, I wish Windows had similar functionality, but so far every dock application I've found fails so hard.

I HAVE a mac, and I hate the dock. I keep trying to find "classic start menu" apps-without luck.
  • How could you hate the dock? Or do you not like having everything at a single click?
  • I would prefer some segregation between "Running" and "Just sitting there", IE. Windows' Quick Launch and actual Taskbar.

-Q
  • Never was a fan of the quick launch bar. It just sits there uselessly wasting my taskbar's space, though I see what you mean. I'd like a seperator between running applications and aliases too, but removing the alias when a program is launched.
  • I ditch quicklanuch usually, however it is useful at times.

I would prefer a better way to indicate the "running" status of things down there (EG. Background color?). As it is I deal with the problem by removing everything possible. Then anything there is running or minimized.

-Q
  • Quicklaunch owns :|.
  • Yes it does. The secret is keeping only your most used apps there.

The dock is a good idea, but it is equally flawed. I like having many things in one place, but that makes long line that you have to sort through.

I use RKLauncher (dock for xp), quick launch, and a custom apps folder that I can organize the way I want.
  • I have 3 or 4 "commonly used applications" and with the 3D window view disabled, QL is useless.

-Q
  • adragons wrote:
    Yes it does. The secret is keeping only your most used apps there.

My most used applications are Firefox, WinAmp, Internet Explorer, Notepad, FL Studio XL, the Character Map, VLC Media player, Windows Live Messenger, AIM, Photoshop, Kelly, Diana, Azureus, and OpenOffice. I'm in and out of almost all of these every day, and even on a widescreen monitor, that's a lot of stuff to keep running on my taskbar.
  • You keep them in your QL (if you use it), not "running" in your taskbar.

-Q
  • I was mostly defending why I was quitting these and going back into them several times a day. But even there, they'd take up a good deal of space, and the icons would be small. Plus, I don't want those visible when I'm not using my computer. True, I've used the quicklaunch effectively in the past, but at this time I think I'm more happy without it.

Feel free to ignore the WGA notification...
  • I personally prefer the Windows XP default start menu. (after pinning some stuff to the top.)
  • I was about to make a comment about that and the interesting logoswap.

-Q
  • There is an application called Hidden Menu, it basically places a hotspot in the corner of your screen, you click it and it brings up a menu in which you can place your frequantly used programs
  • I only have "Show Desktop" as my only QL item.
  • I just right-click on the taskbar for that.

-Q
  • I just click Windows+D for that.
  • Having no Windows key, I use the next-best thing.

-Q
  • o.o!

I didn't know about Winkey+D! Thanks!

That is certainly helpful.

Anyways, I don't use the Quick Launch because I keep my most accessed programs on my desktop.

I should probably clean it up a bit though.

I'm not too worried about a clean desktop, just as long as the entire thing isn't covered in icons like my brother-in-law is. He keeps everything on the desktop so much in fact that it is completely covered with icons! I dont' know how he finds things
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    How could you hate the dock? Or do you not like having everything at a single click?

The windows taskbar is more simple and also is 1 click. I hate macs only having the left mouse button, control-click is frustrating.
  • Get out of the stone age and use a computer with Mighty Mouse.
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    Get out of the stone age and use a computer with Mighty Mouse.
    Why spend $70 on a Mighty Mouse when you can get a two-button USB mouse with the same basic functionality for a few dollars?
  • Because an Apple Mighty Mouse only costs $50.00 and comes with all Macs these days.
  • $50 for a fucking mouse? Who are you? Duffs twin?
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    Because an Apple Mighty Mouse only costs $50.00
    mightymouse69xh9.png
  • BOD wrote:
    $50 for a fucking mouse? Who are you? Duffs twin?

The $50 I spent on a mouse was for a quality mouse with features that earned that price.
  • I spent around $65 on my mouse. Logitech mx610.