Windows Home Server

Comments

• Bash wrote:
    Thump wrote:
    Data is mirrored at the shared folder level, so that two copies of a folder are always stored on two different physical hard drives.{{cut out}}

All that is is software raid.
    From the wiki:
    * A single folder namespace (no drive letters)

Users (specifically those who configure a family's home server)
    deal with storage at two levels: Shared Folders and Disks. The
    only concepts relevant regarding disks is whether they have been
    "added" to the home server's storage pool or not and whether the
    disk appears healthy to the system or not. This is in contrast with
    Windows' Logical Disk Manager which requires a greater degree of
    technical understanding in order to correctly configure a RAID
    array.

Thump
  • Too bad you can't go into an "Advanced" mode for that. I guess Advanced + "Home" is still a few versions away ;) :( <sigh/wistful>

-Q
  • Well it just works but you can mark any folder as redundant so it
    will be backed up or not redundent where it won't be duplicated.

I don't really know and this is just the beta.

Thump
  • Preliminary infos:

512MB RAM and 32GB disk are minimums (Exactly so, I failed on the latter on account of the VHD being JUST under 32GB). Under those setup will point-blank refuse to load.

In its current state it's a little weird: The setup startup is like WVI, including the loading screen with just the progress bar. Then you get a cursor on the Vista install background, but when setup starts, it's like 2003's! Also, the logo just says "Microsoft Windows" with the NT 5.1+ style flag.

-Q
  • Sounds a lot like the WFLP install.
  • Strangely enough I never got that, although I remember thinking it was one of the best ideas they ever had.

Edit: The second part of setup identifies itself as "Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server Setup". There's also a "amdk6.sys" file copied!

-Q
  • Does the installation really format the entire physical drive on installation?
  • Any and all hard disks it can find are departitioned, NTFSd and formatted and set up according to scheme. You even have to select a checkbox, similar to the licensing one that actually says "I acknowledge that all hard disks on the system will be destroyed" or something like that with legal sounding language. Even after that it STILL asks you if you're sure.

And it infact did, without even asking about partition options.

-Q
  • so installing it on partitions is out of the question. Well this sucks.
  • I know, I was wondering about dual booting.

Two things, however, come to mind: A: This is a beta, they may enable an "Advanced option" as development progresses and, B: people are sure to hack it. As it is, I can think of one way: Install it to a single HD and then make that a slave drive and add it to the main bootloader.

-Q
  • yea the thing is i only have one physical drive in my system. a 320gb hard drive.
  • QQ
    edited March 2007
    So... partition that, install VPC and create a VHD that is linked to that partition and have WHSb2 install to THAT and then add it to the boot loader.

-Q
  • Lol good idea, thnx Q. Strangely i completely forgot about vpc.
    Anyway for those interested here is the torrent:
    http://torrents.thepiratebay.org/3644929/Microsoft_Windows_Home_Server_-_Beta__2_with._keys.3644929.TPB.torrent

KEYS:
    - CFT77-7RWGK-KQ7MW-K8CYX-DVRVY
    - DK6PM-CQW9C-X7CY9-BFKVY-X3TRB
    - W4777-J2W8T-C4KQF-78GXJ-KRVMM

i'd recommend to stay out of trouble and wait for ms to officially offer it as a download. but if you are like me then here to go.
  • People, its designed to be a server. You don't dual boot servers.
  • this thing is still in beta and we would to like just get a feel of it. And tis stability.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    Lol good idea, thnx Q. Strangely i completely forgot about vpc.
    Anyway for those interested here is the torrent:
    The Goods

KEYS:
    - CFT77-7RWGK-KQ7MW-K8CYX-DVRVY
    - DK6PM-CQW9C-X7CY9-BFKVY-X3TRB
    - W4777-J2W8T-C4KQF-78GXJ-KRVMM

i'd recommend to stay out of trouble and wait for ms to
    officially offer it as a download. but if you are like me then here
    to go.
    My Thanks Anantha92, I'm obtaining it now and it's rolling fast
    on the start but has settled to 9 kbs.

This may use a known kernal but it's a whole new animal we
    haven't seen the likes of yet and I think I'm going to like it. I'm
    going to have the beta before I get the machine running and
    will probably get the regular one when it's out.

Thump
  • How big is the vpc image??? 1 or 2 gb?

What`s the minimum Memory requests for run the OS???

It will run in my pc?? :)
  • As Q said you need a 32 gig hard drive size minimum with 512Meg of ram.

"512MB RAM and 32GB disk are minimums (Exactly so, I failed on the latter on account of the VHD being JUST under 32GB). Under those setup will point-blank refuse to load."

So anything of at least P4 nature I'm guessing as a minimum Proc.
  • Thump: It's Windows 2003 with some edits to it.

Also, the setup is extremely rough around the edges, it restarted at least 10 times, once just so it could restart AGAIN!

Also, Thump, if you want it more directly or that torrent fails.

-Q
  • edited March 2007
    I'm having to get it again from Duff, as my last copy said the install dvd was corrupt (the other 2 cd's were fine). :P so pain in the ass.
  • The version I had was only one massive (DVD) ISO, not 3.

-Q
  • This has 1 dvd install, A restore cd and another cd called startup something or over. I'll say what they are called properly when it finnishes in an hour or so.
  • So anything of at least P4 nature I'm guessing as a minimum Proc.
    When you take the survey to sign up it says:

5. Can you dedicate a computer to testing Windows Home Server
    (512+ MB RAM, 80+ GB hard disk space, 1+ Ghz Processor and can
    boot from a DVD drive)? *

The torrent has slowed to a crawl but I'm not in a hurry 'cause I
    don't even have the machine ready but hope to work on it some
    this afternoon.

Thump
  • edited March 2007
    Ah well I'm not going to take the survey :P Anyway thanks for listing the rough specs Thump, got a new copy and this time it works :) so I'm going to test it tomorrow on a virtual machine.
  • edited March 2007
    No problem. Fixed.
    Uh, that's a no no. It's not to be mentioned but you can edit it
    out and I'll edit this one out to.

Thump
  • Ahh sorry thump forgot. Edited out of this post, but can't on my older ones. Sorry but i forgot that that was a no no.
  • No problem, I could tell it was innocent. All fixed now.

Thump
  • im seeding now and vpc is out of the question for me since it requires 512 mb ram and im running on a 1 gig stick. Vpc doesent let me go over 500 mb since it says the host operating system has insufficient memory.This isnt going to work on a vpc if you have l gig> Any other suggestions for dual booting?
  • Thats strange anantha92, I have one gig of ram, but i can set my VPC's (in VPC2007) to ahve at least 768 meg of ram for any operating system. There has to be at least 256 for windows to run.
  • thts weird, i am using th 64bit version of vpc does thath take up more ram?