Windows Home Server

Comments

• Myabe it's because it's a 64bit version? as mines the 32bit, first beta I beleive. If there are any more.
  • 64bit versions do infact use up a little bit mroe ram. Ill try and use the 32bit version and see if that helps. Besides the Full version is out anyway, and microsoft is giving it for free.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en
  • Cool, doubt that I'll install this version the beta one works fine for me :P but they no longer support win95 in the os select any more which is weird, guess it's just MS trying to get rid of it. I mean I know it works in it and all, just strange to not select it.
  • the final is more stable and takes up less ram.
  • I have slightly over 1GB and I can allocate well over 1GB in either VPC or VMware 5.5.

-Q
  • Ok, this is weird i might as well try VMware.
  • I got the torrent now but haven't unrared it, in rar form it's 1.01GB
    and it said it was 1.38 GB so I don't know. I don't know when I'll
    have time to test it though.

Here's something else to consider, from the wiki:
    From the wiki article:

Pricing and Availability

HP will release a Home Server (currently called the "HP
    MediaSmart Server") in Q2 of 2007. It features a 64-bit AMD
    processor under the AMD Live! brand, and can be expanded to
    include as much as 6 terabytes of storage space. It also
    includes four internal HDD bays and four USB 2.0 ports.
    In a Channel 9 video interview, Windows Home Server General
    Manager Charlie Kindel said that early Home Servers will cost
    about the same as a low-end PC, or around $500.

I'm not going to buy another HP ever again but that doesn't
    sound too bad otherwise. The trouble is HP is going to put
    some of their own backup stuff on it. I don't want them
    messing with mine.

Thump
  • I ran into some more info about WHS:

Microsoft has recorded nearly 2,400 bugs in its Windows Home
    Server software. The server is planned for home networks. Given
    the number of bugs, it is unclear if Home Server will launch this
    summer as planned.
    Windows Home Server bugs

Thump
  • 64,000 bugs on Win2K release week or was it day?
  • I seem to recall some of those 64 000 were things like "We used improper grammar in the Help file", not, say, buffer overrun liabilities.

-Q
  • Yea i already read that wiki, Thump the torrent works fine and i already installed it. I'll try running it later as my friend has the HDD and i will only get it later this afternoon. I will post screenshots ASAP. Yea most of the bugs were all just error in the grammar and some minor glitches in the actual OS itself. Hey 2,400 isnt that much as compared to the massive 64,000 bugs tehy had with the final. I cant imagine how many bugs the first couple of betas had...
  • Finding all the bugs in about 40GB of source is never easy.
  • i never said it was easy i just said thqath it was low compared to the bugs win 2k had.
  • I'm having to get it again from Duffnet server, (see file trading) as my last copy said the install dvd was corrupt (the other 2 cd's were fine). :P so pain in the ass.

^ Ahem. tongue.gif
  • Corrected on a later post, but not on that one.
  • And now you quoted it and... smooth.

I have the worst urge to delete all of these tangental comments. If you want to tell someone not to mention that, DON'T quote them, that just means there's ANOTHER post that needs editing. If possible, just PM or IM them so we don't get nonsensical stuff on the side of threads.

Anyrate, I think Thump already posted a screenshot gallery of this.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Anyrate, I think Thump already posted a screenshot gallery of this.

-Q
    I posted a link to the site that had some screenshots
    available if you look hard. They're really of good quality.
    Screenshots 1
    Screenshots 2

Thump
  • ohhh screenies. I shall part take in the looking. Having not tried it yet.

Meh the install looks just like Win FLP's.
  • edited March 2007
    :)!! Paul Thurrott????? I visit his page EVERYDAY for the latest M$ info :) also I have suscribed to his RSS :)

www.winsupersite.com ; I think it`s on of "the most actualized and full of high quality screenshots" on the web... :) also it`s an good page for recommend to anyone wants to stay alerted about the M$ newer releases :)
  • www.guidebookgallery.com for already released screenshots.
  • alexzarach wrote:
    www.guidebookgallery.com for already released screenshots.
    that`s an good page too :) I visit it too....
  • I'm rather neglectful of getting new information. Most of what I find out is via here or other, "one off" sources.

-Q
  • FedeVista wrote:
    :)!! Paul Thurrott????? I visit his page EVERYDAY for the latest M$ info :) also I have suscribed to his RSS :)

www.winsupersite.com ; I think it`s on of "the most actualized and full of high quality screenshots" on the web... :) also it`s an good page for recommend to anyone wants to stay alerted about the M$ newer releases :)
    You sound a LOT like our old friend Andy_Tek
  • Yea it says its 2003 in a few parts. Does it support the aero theme? Because i am suspecting that the torrent is an older build than the ones on wikipedia.
  • Why the *fuck* would a *server* OS support anything along the lines of aero?
  • Because Longhorn server does if you choose to enable it? :P
  • Why the *fuck* wouldn't it.
    And how the *fuck* can you explain this:
    Untitled-2.jpg

Anyway the torrent that everyone downloaded, was an older build, it still mass amount of traces of win 2003 on it. It was 39xx build wasnt it? the current unreleased beta is in the 5000's and looks close to its completion. I would suspect it to ship at around september.
  • Yes that's the Windows Home Server Console on Vista :p.
    That isn't the actual server.
  • merty wrote:
    Yes that's the Windows Home Server Console on Vista :p.
    That isn't the actual server.

It's exactly what I saw ON WHS when I installed it in VPC.

BOD: Keep in mind that 2003 had LUNA installed and fully usable (Although disabled by default). According to Wikipedia, Vista Server/Longhorn Server is actually going to have a stripped down shell, which was a long time coming.

-Q
  • yea the latter build supported it. Dunno if the one thump isnalled ahd though.