Windows Vista...

RNRN
edited April 2007 in Software
Is really worth it!

I have a legit Business version... but who cares when you have the opportunity to go ULTIMATE!

:badgrin:

Only beef I have is that the login screen is too flashy for me.

Comments

• My biggest beef is that intel is too lazy to make a WDDM driver for my gma chipset. (even though it meets all the requirements: DX9, pixel shader 2.0, 128M shared ram).

But thats not really microsofts fault :=(
  • You might be able to fool with ResHacker or something similar and replace it. See http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion ... 39071.html

-Q
  • yea its cool. I ahte people who criticise this os. I love vista more than any other os out there.
  • IMO, pretty but annoying. If you're gonna get it, here's my recommendation for a computer:

Dual-Core AMD 3800+ or Intel 2.0 GHz
    2 GB of RAM
    256 MB GFX Card, nVIDIA 7000+

Not speaking from experience, but that's just my own recommendations as the way I judge all other MS products.

If you got the power to support it and the know-how to cope with it's annoyances, by all means go buy a copy of Ultimate (cause from what I've seen, Business looks liek crap)
  • I don't really notice a difference between Buissiness and Ultimate, but I don't know what you use it for.

-Q
  • Well, personally I would want Home Premium or Ultimate, otherwise for my uses it's no better than XP (cept for Aero, which is laggy anyway...)
  • Why HP and not Buis.?

-Q
  • Cause I'm not a business user, and I like Media Center. I have the Ulimate beta and I like that way.
  • Wipeout wrote:
    IMO, pretty but annoying. If you're gonna get it, here's my recommendation for a computer:

2 GB of RAM

Not speaking from experience, but that's just my own recommendations as the way I judge all other MS products.

If you got the power to support it and the know-how to cope with it's annoyances, by all means go buy a copy of Ultimate (cause from what I've seen, Business looks liek crap)

My configuration is NO WHERE near that... And my system rating is 3.4...
  • LOL VISTA NEEDS A GAZILLION GHZ AND LOTZ OF RAM AND GFX CAUSE M$ SUX LOL
  • That wasn't helpful.

Anyrate, Vista "with all the options" ran very usably on 512MB of RAM, however I also disabled all the options. I also suspect that if Windows detects a really low end machine during that billboard stage, it'll correspondingly automatically disable the really intensive stuff.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    That wasn't helpful.

Anyrate, Vista "with all the options" ran very usably on 512MB of RAM, however I also disabled all the options. I also suspect that if Windows detects a really low end machine during that billboard stage, it'll correspondingly automatically disable the really intensive stuff.

-Q

I concur. I tried it on 768 ram with a celeron 1.5ghz. It booted up almost as quickly as XP, and system performance losses were negligible. I only had a few reasons to revert to XP. Visual studio 2005 was acting a bit buggy, even after a service pack, and Vista didn't really like my wireless card. :-/
  • Wipeout wrote:
    IMO, pretty but annoying. If you're gonna get it, here's my recommendation for a computer:

2 GB of RAM

I find vista a very nive OS. The only problem i have with it its it stupid driver support for older products. My 120$ capture card is sueless now. And my reccomendation for vista is:

Amd athlon 3700+
    2GB Dual channel Ram (Vista is a ram killer)
    Ati Radeon x800 128mb

that list is based off experience.
  • Driver issues are hardly MSs fault.
  • Excatly BOD I agree with you 100% there. Driver support is on a per manufacturer basis, not Microsoft. Yes Microsoft make a default set of drivers but that is to allow for basic operation of a system. (hard drive's, motherboard chipset's gfx etcetera) To give the full functionality it is a given that the company will make drivers for the desired hardware. If the hardware is a few years old and they don't seem to be making any drivers all you need to do is email the company who made said software and see what there response is.
  • I ran Vista on a 1.7GHz Pentium M / 512MB DDR2 (533MHz) and it DID work, but after a few hours of my apps all running it felt slower and slower and slower.... 1GB is plenty.
  • Excatly BOD I agree with you 100% there. Driver support is on a per manufacturer basis, not Microsoft. Yes Microsoft make a default set of drivers but that is to allow for basic operation of a system. (hard drive's, motherboard chipset's gfx etcetera) To give the full functionality it is a given that the company will make drivers for the desired hardware. If the hardware is a few years old and they don't seem to be making any drivers all you need to do is email the company who made said software and see what there response is.

I didnt blame MS for it. I just said it sucks it doesent support my old hardware (or my old hardware doesent support vista). Its like saying oh bmw sucks cos ralliart bumpers dont fit on it or something along that lines.
  • lol I know your not blaming MS but it is totaly hardware vendor dependent to make it support it :P I mean probably none of the old ISA soundcards I own work with Vista at all. (I have some boards that meat the bare minimum to run) Though that is an idea worth checking out.....
  • ISA is dead. Actually, I'm pretty sure that no ISA systems can RUN vista, doesnt it like, REQUIRE SSE?
  • Really MS states 800Mhz P3 minimum so I would presume anyboard meeting that speed. Wasnt SSE a basic feature on all P3's. I know my celeron 1.1 had SSE. I think my P3 700 has SSE as well. I might still try it anyway:P
  • ISA is dead? Normal PCI is on it's way out let alone ISA.
  • Yea, Vista needs an 800MHz, but werent all the P3s and Athlons SSE enabled? I dont remember any of the 800MHz range P3 systems having ISA, though I could be wrong, I didnt really mess with many P3s..
  • ka0s wrote:
    Yea, Vista needs an 800MHz, but werent all the P3s and Athlons SSE enabled? I dont remember any of the 800MHz range P3 systems having ISA, though I could be wrong, I didnt really mess with many P3s..

One of my P3s has an ISA slot.
  • ka0s wrote:
    ISA is dead.

Long live ISA.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    ka0s wrote:
    ISA is dead.

Long live ISA.

-Q

Heh, my comp which is 7 years old doesn't even had ISA. It's definitly dead, but I do have a computer a year older with 1 ISA slot.
  • yea my old com from 1998 doesent support ISA. PCI-Express is the way to go now anyway. Its just gay since my mobo has only one pci-express slot.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    yea my old com from 1998 doesent support ISA. PCI-Express is the way to go now anyway. Its just gay since my mobo has only one pci-express slot.
    My PC doesn't have any PCI-E ports, only 1 AGP port (the nVidia FX5200 is on it) and 2 free PCI ports : )

But my older pc, contains many interesting ISA things...... The SB16 ISA : ) and 2 free ISA slots : )

EDIT: YAY!!!! 350 posts ; )
  • I wish my PC-jr was working so I could make use of S-100. All the old Deskpros are gone, so no more EISA... :(

-Q
  • lol i was 352 when you were 351 posts at the time of pasoting this. Anyway What is the need for such old ahrdware when we ahve the new? I dont think vista will run on anything taht supports ISA.
  • As long as the chipset has SSE and meets 800mhz and 512meg of ram it shouldn't care if there's ISA ports. I was just wondering if it has support for any ISA or EISA gear, like old soundcards.