Windows Vista...

Comments

• yea but do any SSE supporting 800 mhz systems even ahve any ISA slots. tahts wht i meant. Ive seen som pci to ISA converters around about 4-5 years ago.
  • I remember when I was getting my present machine there were still mainstream boards with an ISA slot. If you tried you could get one with 2 or 3.

-Q
  • As I said two of my older P3 systems have at least 1 ISA slot for backwards compatible hardware.
  • anantha92 wrote:
    yea but do any SSE supporting 800 mhz systems even ahve any ISA slots. tahts wht i meant. Ive seen som pci to ISA converters around about 4-5 years ago.

Yes. I have a P3 1.0Ghz... and it has an ISA slot... In fact... I even think 2!
  • Maybe it depends on the socket type. Mine's a Coppermine 370, with 800 MHz SSE. And there's no ISA support on it. But I have a socket 1 (I think) that has 1 ISA on it.
  • oh really i thought they threw them out once it got into the 800mhz range. Can anyone confirm if vista reads any of your ISA devices (if you even have any).
  • I have both Socket 370 and Slot 1... They both have ISA slots. You can't simply tell just by MHz range.
  • you can sometimes as the mhz range also tell what point in time it was released. Enyone have a p4 with an ISA?
  • No. It's the chipset that will determine whether ISA would be supported.
  • Yeah, I guess it does depend on the board and chipset. I have a VIA Chip on my board, I don't know about the other one.
  • I am modernized.

2x PCI Express x16

2x PCI Express x1

3x PCI
  • I have:

1x Minipci
  • I have...

5 PCI and 1 AGP

And if Wikipedia is telling the truth, WVI doesn't work with ISA anymore.

-Q
  • 1 AGP
    5 PCI
    1 Something else...not ISA though.
  • Wipeout wrote:
    1 Something else...not ISA though.

I'm guessing CNR or AMR. Is it this ridiculously short little thing at the end?

-Q
  • I've got Vista running on my Athlon 64, and I like it tons better than XP. There are a few minor annoyances, but it's a great OS. It detected all my hardware out of the box, no additional drivers needed.
  • It got everything but my "RAID controller", so I disabled that.

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    It got everything but my "RAID controller", so I disabled that.

-Q

Wow... I have the same problem... None of the drivers work for my RAID card. :-|
  • Mine's actually on the systemboard, but I don't use it so it just gets disabled.

-Q
  • I have an PIII 800 mhz system that has 2 ISA slots, not that I use them at all.

I hate ISA, I was happy when I got a system that had PCI.

even this old machine that I'm on, 300mhz/192 MB of RAM, I am using only 1 ISA card and thats the sound card.

Anyways, Vista can be nice.

I turn UAC off the first chance I get though, that is simply one anoyance that I can not stand.

I ran Vista Business on:

P4 2.4 ghz
    512 MB of RAM
    120 GB SATA hard disk
    It has 2 DVD drives, one is a burner, I can't remember the names
    Nvidia Geforce something rather
    SoundBlaster Live! 5.1

And I forget what else was in it, but Vista installed drivers for everything except the NIC which was some SMC Gigabit card that I didn't have the driver CD for.

Anyways, Vista was flying on there! It seemed to be running faster than XP did
  • Ungh... I just got to installing my Apps today... Turns out 2 or 3 of the programs I need ARE NOT compatible with WVI!
  • Well I'm installing Vista on my P3 at the moment. Well I'm at the first re-start so I turned it off to come on here and do other things. Will continue later tonight. The hard ware used is my P3 1.1 Ghz Celeron 512Meg 100mhz SDRAM. An 8 gig IDE hard drive. DVD re-writer and a cd re-writer, ISA Soundblaster AEW 16/32 8meg MAtrox Millenium 2 PCI. I'm going to see how good it runs :P
  • What are those programs?

BS: I had the same problem with my Realtek with XP SP1(a). I had to install the drivers from the CD before I could get online to run Windows Update. SP2 and Vista both have no trouble with it.

-Q
  • I think the only program on Vista I was using that said "This program may not be compatible" or whatever, was Norton Ghost

But I ran ghost with administrative privledges and it worked fine.
  • I was told some an XP utility from Microsoft and Nero 6 weren't compatible. I don't know if he means the programs failed or WVI told him they wouldn't work.

-Q
  • I've been warned not to try Nero 6 under Vista

Apparently it really doesn't work.
  • I tried, but the thing I was going to write was too big anyway, so I gave up.

Can you write a video-DVD on a DVD-RW?

-Q
  • Q wrote:
    Can you write a video-DVD on a DVD-RW?

Yes.
  • Q wrote:
    What are those programs?

BS: I had the same problem with my Realtek with XP SP1(a). I had to install the drivers from the CD before I could get online to run Windows Update. SP2 and Vista both have no trouble with it.

-Q

Just some video editing/encoding applications I use almost EVERY day. :cry::cry::cry:
  • And they actually failed to work?

-Q