Windows Vista...

13»

Comments

• From what I've seen a lot of XP Drivers work under Vista, but they do screwy things.
  • Q wrote:
    And they actually failed to work?

-Q

No they work... It's something else that doesn't work... You know, the code that unlocks full features of the software. :badgrin:
  • But what does that have to do with WVI?

-Q
  • They don't work.
  • And how is that WVI's fault if it's the programs not taking a code?!

-Q
  • anyway, one thing i do have a prob with vista, as it doesent read the disc as soon as i put it in. I have to explore the disc contents only then it reads it. When i got to my computer it displays the info on the last cd i put in or soince the lat time i explored the drive. this gets annoying sometimes. I got a LG DVD dual layer writer and writes everything apart from HDDVD and blu ray, and an old asus 52x cd reader.
  • I don't have that problem. I am dissapointed that MS however has kept no support for 16bit ISA soundcards :P I had to use my onboard audio on my test rig (specs stated a page or so back). Also it's graphics drivers are limited to Nvidia,Radeon, SIS,VIA and Intel based gfx cards and I think a few others but not many. So my matrox millenium or my trident Cyblade i7 (the onboard video) all come up as standard VGA and it's really annoying as all movement is jerky :P. I think if I had a better gfx card in there then the system would be a bit more stable. Still 512meg of ram is not enough if it's on a 1.1GHhz. Mind you the ram is only 100Mhz, still I'd say 768 as bare minimum on a setup like this would do fine. There are annoyances and then there aren't. But I'm still going to stick with Xp and 98SE untill modern progs don't work with XP at all.
  • Why the hell are you using ISA sound cards nowadays in a modern system? :|
  • That was my test (read further back).
  • Because, people still use ISA (EG. FV, L3, etc). If I needed a sound card, I would be using the old SB16 I have.

-Q
  • If I needed a sound card, I'd buy a nice new 5.1 sound card.
  • Some of us never buy anything.

-Q
  • lol ahem *cough* *cough*. No I do have several other soundcards, my experiment was to see if it had any support for older gear :P I'm going to take one of my ram chips out next and see if it runs on 256 and then 128, 64 meg and hell maybe even 32:P
  • People who run Vista = don't use ISA

And I doubt it'll even boot on 64MB.
  • lol ahem *cough* *cough*. No I do have several other soundcards, my experiment was to see if it had any support for older gear :P I'm going to take one of my ram chips out next and see if it runs on 256 and then 128, 64 meg and hell maybe even 32:P
    That's not a good test I don't think, the trick with Vista is to
    install it with the lowest ram and it will adjust to what is
    available. I don't think it has any way to adjust after it's already
    installed. Please let us know how it works out though.

Thump
  • It refuses to begin installing if theres less than 512 in. At least when I forgot to change my ram around at first it begins but then displayed a dialogue box with no text and a button which when clicked restarts the computer, or it turned it off I can't remeber which. That may ahbe been due something else though.
  • People who run Vista = don't use ISA

Well ofcourse not, especially when it doesn't work with it!

-Q
  • im sure there are still one or two of vista compatible mobos with ISA slots on them.
  • MOBP3X1df94t
    DFI
    CA64-TC DFI/ CA64-TC: MotherBoard,Pentium III Tualatin socket 370, 133MHz FS bus with PCI 3D sound. ATX. VIA 694T. 5PCI/1 ISA, AGP 4x, 3x SDRAM, 1GB max, ATA100 IDE. H/W MONITORING. Retail

P3 Tualatins can go up to 1.6 GHz and it fits 1 GB of RAM plus an AGP slot. With the right stuff, should have no problem running Vista.