Which os for web server

BODBOD
edited June 2004 in Software
I am planning to set up a web server and i would like to know what os you guys would reccomend to use on it

thanks

Comments

• Windows NT 4.0 Server for older computers,

Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro for newer computers,

otherwise go for Linux... erg.
  • What kind of hardware will you be using?
  • Windows 2000 Professional.
  • i'm not sure yet. i think probably a PII450 128MB 6.4GB
  • Windows 2000
  • SuSE, SME, or 2000P.

I'l leaning towards SuSE w/no XWS and AWS.

-Q
  • i was thinking of using win2k server
  • UGH!

Just use 2000P and AWS.

-Q
  • Just because you want to run a server, doesnt mean it needs to say "server" in the name. THat just adds junk like domain controlers that youll NEVER use.

This servers only on XP Pro.
  • BOD wrote:
    i'm not sure yet. i think probably a PII450 128MB 6.4GB

Use 2000.
  • i was gunna use it as a domain controller anyways

thanks guys
  • Domain controler doesnt mean it has an address like www.winworldabw.com domain controllers are just pointless things that are only supposed to be used in the office area, not home use.
  • They're decommoditizing crap. Avoid them.

-Q
  • Like Q said, use 2000 and install Abyss Web Server.
  • i already know that.
  • Well then if its just a webserver, why bother using the OS with heavier system requirements when your not going to need it? I run this place off XP Pro and have never even had to USE the server add-ons that XP comes with.
  • Domain controler doesnt mean it has an address like www.winworldabw.com domain controllers are just pointless things that are only supposed to be used in the office area, not home use.

Now, I wouldn't say that, they sometimes have points. I'm probably not going to have my domain controller when I redo things here...

I'd probably say 2000 with Abyss or Apache. You could do XP, but don't need to.

If you have a valid need for a DC, then use 2000 Server.
  • its not just the dc i need i need dhcp and dns as well as active directory. its the only server software i could find that does these and supports usb for my ADSL modem.
  • Umm... I seriously doubt that you need Active Directory. Linux or a rounter will support DCHP and DNS.

-Q
  • If you need DNS and DHCP servers, why not just use a software router? I used to have one that did DNS and DHCP, but forget the name of it
  • Hmm... that's going to be a shakey network. He could need AD, possibly. Maybe he- well I dunno.
  • Active Directory! Argh!

Use the context clues!
  • hey acive directory isn't that bad besisdes. it would be slightly faster than if i tried .NET server 2003. which would aslo be VERY expensive. i think i'll stick with 2k as it's what i'm used to
  • expensive? LMFAO!
  • expensive? LMFAO!

:-) I know....
  • expensive? LMFAO!

Huh? I don't get it.
  • what about linux?
  • Roger wrote:
    expensive? LMFAO!

Huh? I don't get it.

Oh... Now I understand... Laughing my ass off.
  • Hahaha... here we go...