Which os for web server

Comments

• Why do you need AD? Unless you're running a buissiness or want to have fun with it, there's practically NO reason for one.

-Q
  • User switching, etc. I posted reasons before, but it's not really completely needed.
  • i just like to mess around with network settings. and i can't be bothered with linux takes too long to download
  • Okay.... I admit that I haven't learned to linux too well, and that's why I don't use it. What kind of internet connection do you have?
  • Okay.... I admit that I haven't learned to linux too well, and that's why I don't use it. What kind of internet connection do you have?

I don't really know how to use Linux too.
  • Hey, Linux works best with the Internet. I know Linux quite well. Linux is the best. I think no arguements can be there, cuz running Windows on a large webserver is mustdie-like. Don't use Windows on a server!
  • Slash wrote:
    Hey, Linux works best with the Internet. I know Linux quite well. Linux is the best. I think no arguements can be there, cuz running Windows on a large webserver is mustdie-like. Don't use Windows on a server!

Then why are you using Windows?
  • Sometimes I use Linux. I use it for programming, work,etc... And Windows is for games... My new ISP does not allow me to connect while I am under Linux, so I am forced to use Windows!/
  • Slash wrote:
    Sometimes I use Linux. I use it for programming, work,etc... And Windows is for games... My new ISP does not allow me to connect while I am under Linux, so I am forced to use Windows!/

That's sucky on the ISP's part.
  • There is no Linux/Windows ISP's!!!!

DUH!!!!!!~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • My ISP's CD came with the crap to set it up on mac, windows, or linux, and if you call them, you have the options "Windows, Macintosh, Linux, or another operating system"
  • What about BSD/Solaris/UNIX/XBox Live!
  • There is no Linux/Windows ISP's!!!!

DUH!!!!!!~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erm... what?
  • ISP's work with EVERY operating system.

There are NO ISP's just for Windows or JUST for Macintoshs

WAIT...AOL is a Macintosh only ISP!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
  • It could be different over there. It may need a special driver or something that they've only developed for Windows.
  • ISP's work with EVERY operating system.

There are NO ISP's just for Windows or JUST for Macintoshs

WAIT...AOL is a Macintosh only ISP!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Well I entirely disagree with you. In the EULA of ROL20 (my ISP) there was a note that I cannot use any OS except Windows.
  • Does it offer any explanation as to why?
  • 600k ADSL but my parents kick me off after like 3 hours which kinda sucks. also helps if your hdd is bigger than 2GBi think theres about 150mb free at the mo
  • Slash wrote:
    In the EULA of ROL20 (my ISP) there was a note that I cannot use any OS except Windows.

WHAT the FUCK!?

-Q
  • are they fucking crazy? that just gives people a reason to use a non windows os..... i mean.... thats.........just........argh!
  • I would use Slackware 9.1 for that PC BOD. It will come with everything you'll need so make a basic webserver.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I would use Slackware 9.1 for that PC BOD. It will come with everything you'll need so make a basic webserver.

But why not 2000? Its just as stable as Linux, faster, and more compatible!!! Dont forget its simple to use.
  • Under Linux my connection increases to 33,6K
  • YOu just said that you cant use Linux on your connection..
  • ill stick to 2000.
    too many exams right now to mess around with linux
  • Warp, I think his ISP doesn't want Slash to use Linux. But the again, didn't he say it wasn't compatible with Linux?
  • Slash wrote:
    Under Linux my connection increases to 33,6K

He has to be able to use it, but WTF don't they want him to?

-Q
  • YOu just said that you cant use Linux on your connection..
    Well, we have 2 ISP's: "Electroconnect" and "ROL20". Rol20 provides free internet at nights, but they do not allow you to use Linux. Electroconnect allow you to use whatever you want, their connection is more stable, but ~$1 for an hour! They're just crazy!
    And when I dial to Electroconnect under Linux, my connection is always 33K.
  • edited June 2004
    Oh. I see now. So "your" connection isn't your ISP, but whatever your PC is connecting to.

What I'm saying is that when he says "my connection," he does not mean his ISP. What he means is whatever ISP is coming into his computer.
  • Most ISPs don't like people using Linux. Theres a few reasons for that, like No money in tech support and theres to many flavors of linux to keep up with. Also Comcast is known to not help out with setting up a router or help you if your using a router. Thats how it is here atleast.

I can do more things in Linux then you can do in Windows. For a example: I can take just about any source code and compile it in Linux (thats if it's CISC compatable AKA X86). I can surf the web with out running X-Windows. I can run my PC for months at a time with out rebooting. I can control a whole network from one system with out needing to hunt down tons of 3rd party software. More programs comes with Linux and the best thing is there isn't advertisement everywhere like windows. Also its free!!!!