Windows ME Final

Comments

• Some OEMs really hated Windows Me, especially IBM. In early 2001 they only preloaded ThinkPads with Windows 98 or 2000:
    https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/1337.wss#release

My T41 lists 98FE and SE as supported OSes, but not Me (though all 98 drivers will work of course).

• @win32 said:
    Some OEMs really hated Windows Me, especially IBM. In early 2001 they only preloaded ThinkPads with Windows 98 or 2000:
    https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/1337.wss#release

My T41 lists 98FE and SE as supported OSes, but not Me (though all 98 drivers will work of course).

Are you sure? My HP Pavilion 6735 has Windows ME, and it also has the original COA / Original HP OEM Installation of Windows ME.

• I only specifically mentioned IBM; given that ThinkPads were generally high-end machines (there wasn't really a low-end series in the IBM era), I guess that a home-only OS may have been out of the question. But again Windows 98 was (mostly) home-oriented when compared to Windows 2000.

Ironically Me does run fine on my T41.

• Why are all the screenies BSODs?
    For all those who hate ME:
    All windows versions work without any problems, maybe your hardware is faulty or you were running software not designed for ME.

• edited May 2019

The thing is that every Windows 9x/NT OS does have many good configurations on which you will have near-perfect stability.

Unfortunately some configs have their quirks and that applies especially to older stuff with only win95/98 VxD drivers on Windows Me. My IBM 300GL has varying issues with the newer 9x operating systems so it's running win95 (and it's a PIII).

Stuff that came out after winme was released (Pentium 4/M+ or Athlon XP+) will have mature WDM drivers built with Me in mind and on such hardware it should be quite stable (like my ThinkPad T41).

@Windows 2000 I think I've seen you in another forum :wink:

• Very stable on vpc2007.

Infact, some pics.

• People had this much trouble with ME? I've never had any issues with it.

• @Pluto said:
    People had this much trouble with ME? I've never had any issues with it.

All depends on your hardware set-up and compatibility I suppose, in where history had repeated itself when Vista came about years later.

• edited January 2020

Windows ME StepUp Key

FYG4R-3RK8M-DJGPJ-9GTRY-Q7Q49

I don’t think this works for the other upgrade edition.

• this came out and was dubbed Mistake Edition, thankfully I had 2000 then went to XP Pro using this on a V.M. teaching kids about windows. :)

• edited April 2020

I like the fact that they just placed BSODs instead of normal images. Maybe I should try myself Windows ME?

• @Netcliff said:
    I like the fact that they just placed BSODs instead of normal images. Maybe I should try myself Windows ME?

Windows ME is actually pretty stable when you first install it, but I've heard that it goes yee-haw the more you use it.

• I tried to install Windows ME in VirtualBox, but when I insert the disc, it just says that no bootable media was found. I got Windows ME working in VirtualBox before, so how do I bypass this?

• I can't remember if all of our Windows ME ISO disk images are self-bootable. Most 95/98 ISO disk images are not. You may need to provide Virtualbox with a boot floppy image.

• Most ME discs are not bootable AFAIK, so you'll need to do the common procedure of booting with a DOS/Windows 9x bootdisk and preparing the hard disk before starting setup from the CD.

• @SomeGuy said:
    I can't remember if all of our Windows ME ISO disk images are self-bootable. Most 95/98 ISO disk images are not. You may need to provide Virtualbox with a boot floppy image.

Windows 98 and ME OEM CD-ROMs are bootable, but retail ones are not.

• edited May 2020

Windows ME with CD-ROM bootable is available with OEM only.
    Windows ME (Retail Full / Retail Upgrade / Retail Step-Up) can't be bootable by CD -ROM itself.
    But Retail Full version has Set-Up Boot Disk to install.

• i love that all the images are bsods

• Funfact: this was actually invented for a local asylum that was full of Millennials used to torcher them.
  • I find it interesting that there's a separate version for upgrading from Windows 98. Is there any particular reason for this?
  • edited July 2020
    I find it interesting that there's a separate version for upgrading from Windows 98. Is there any particular reason for this?

That one had its own price point, being cheaper than the one that upgraded Windows 95 as well. A way to reward those who were not at risk of falling off the OS upgrade treadmill.
  • Windows ME (Windows 98 Upgrade) Serial Number: FYG4R-3RK8M-DJGPJ-9GTRY-Q7Q49
  • Works like a charm in VMware ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • I have installed Windows ME on VirtualBox. I have Internet Explorer 6 and Netscape Navigator 9 installed on that guest operating system.

I need a PCI Ethernet driver. I do not know where to find that driver. Does someone know where I can find such a compatible driver for Windows ME?

In addition to this driver, what type of Network adapter can I use to enable internet connection to Internet Explorer 6 and Netscape Navigator 9?

Please can you help me.
  • Check your VirtualBox settings. Virtualbox can emulate several different kinds of network cards. Unless they changed something recently, the default was usually a PCNet-Fast III. Windows 98 bundles drivers for that, and I thought ME did too.

Once you get the emulated network card set up internet access should just work, other than the fact that most web sites hate browsers more than five minutes old.
  • I have set up PCNET-Fast III in several network settings. I have turned on four networks with this setting and I still do not have internet connection with my Windows ME guest operating system.
  • edited January 2021
    @Cesare Vesdani you can download PCNET FAST-III drivers here: https://archive.org/details/AMDInc.PCnet.4.51.0.0

DO NOT use more connect more than 1 VBox NIC at a time.
    Also set "Attached to:" = "Bridged Adapter"

If you're using Windows, use free WMwarePlayer (part of VMware Workstation). So much easier to use and configure than VBOX.
  • I know that. I already download this driver. Thanks for the link.