What's Your Phone?

Comments

• I recently had to give up my CDMA Blackberry 8830WP when MetroPCS switched to GSM. :(
    I don't hate my new Lumia 640 even 1/2 as much as I thought I would though when I dropped it in my saltwater fish tank it hurt that I couldn't just grab another from Ebay for $5 and clone the ESN from the Nokia 3205 they thought I had into it like I have been doing for the last decade...

PS: I sure wish I could downgrade the stupid WP8.1 on my Lumia to WP7
  • Sony Xperia E1 and Samsung Galaxy Mini 2. May I bought more expensive new handphone later time :lol:
  • I don't have any mobile phone right now.

Thinking about an iPhone, although I don't need a cell phone for any reason now.
    meagain wrote:
    Motorola have gone downhill since Lenovo purchased them.
    Which is funny, considering Lenovo ThinkPads are some of the best laptops. Quite an irony that Motorola provided the processor for the classic Macintosh (Motorola 68000). And now they're owned by a company that makes Windows PCs!
  • Samsung Galaxy Trend 2 Lite. Costed like 80 Euros, made in 2015, 4 inch display, 4GB internal (have 8GB sd), dual core Cortex ARM A5? at 1,5GHz,1500mAh battery... A bit laggy but it's doing its job perfectly... I was a user of Windows Phone, but I couldn't stand it for a extra day (because of horrible OS and compatibility).
    Here are more in-depth specs of the phone: http://www.imei.info/phonedatabase/7923 ... nd-2-lite/
  • Used a Moto G (original) since launch. Great phone, disappointing that since Lenovo took over Motorola the OS updates finished. Installed CM13 until the battery died. Not really worth fixing, picked up a Moto X Play ridiculously cheaply (£200) for a flagship device.

Whilst I've always wanted a Windows Phone the lack of apps mean that that's never going to be a reality. If only MS brought out a Intel-powered Windows Phone capable of Win32 desktop apps and docking to become a full PC
  • Windows 10 Mobile officially supports the x86 specification, specifically the 32-bit Intel portion, so desktop apps running in Windows 10 Mobile is not entirely out of the question. It's a matter of OEMs making a device that supports both x86 and Continuum.
  • Windows 10 Mobile officially supports the x86 specification, specifically the 32-bit Intel portion, so desktop apps running in Windows 10 Mobile is not entirely out of the question. It's a matter of OEMs making a device that supports both x86 and Continuum.
    However currently 10 Mobile lacks the necessary frameworks and other components required to allow desktop apps to run, so the goal seems a long way off. Hopefully MS will realize that this is what users want and come up with a solution along with OEMs - annoyingly though Intel killed their mobile chip development a few weeks back so Bay Trail, Core M, or the newer Atoms would have to be used instead.

Also an issue is security and power - my personal view is to whitelist apps before they can be ran on a device such as a mobile where running shit like (desktop) Skype in the background would ruin battery life. To be honest I don't see this happening though as MS have decided to push users to the "Modern" app format and move away from Win32 desktop apps. If they suddenly run on mobile, what's the point in Universal Modern apps then? It would be a serious drawback.

We need another XPPhone
  • Couldn't somebody port wine to windows and compile it for windows 10 mobile?

I don't have any smartphone, but I've slighty considered a windows phone as long as it's not intel based.
  • dosbox wrote:
    Couldn't somebody port wine to windows and compile it for windows 10 mobile?

I don't have any smartphone, but I've slighty considered a windows phone as long as it's not intel based.

1. it wouldn't be terribly useful, seeing as there aren't many Win32 ARM applications

2. there are no intel Windows Phones (at the moment - Surface phone is rumoured....)
  • I have a Lumia 900. It's more a music player than a phone though.

Skype is still my real phone.
  • Proud landline user, and have been for years.
    It's some panasonic one, looks like this:
    Panasonic-Basic-Corded-Phone-KX-SDL353842636-1-1bd65.jpg
  • To be honest I don't really use mine as a phone anyway - I've only had to make one call to ParcelForce this year. Even then, at some point I seem to have obtained Skype minutes from somewhere, so I haven't used the phone in my smartphone at all.

All online support should have online chat so I don't have to make a single call ever. My friends are on Skype / Instragram / whatever, there's no reason for me to make a call which costs me. Typing is also much easier than bothering to speak... [only half /s]
  • I recently bought an iPhone 6s Plus. I've finally gotten used to how large this phone is, and I really like it. The only real issue is that I can no longer operate it with just one hand, though. Oh well.
  • Deceiver wrote:
    I recently bought an iPhone 6s Plus. I've finally gotten used to how large this phone is, and I really like it. The only real issue is that I can no longer operate it with just one hand, though. Oh well.

And on the flip side I traded my iPhone 6 in for an iPhone SE. I really like how small it is. One handed operations is a big plus for me. I understand how some folks like the big phones and I don't blame them but I feel like that has resulted in a lack of *quality* small phones until the SE came about. Almost everything on the Android side was painfully slow except for maybe Sony's small phone. But still, meh.
  • Well I always considered the iPhone's relatively small screen size to be a negative until the iPhone 6 came out. It didn't stop me from choosing the iPhone over other brands, though.

I use my iPhone a lot to look at (vacation) photos, so thr big screen size is a big plus for me in that sense.
  • Proud landline user, and have been for years.
    It's some panasonic one, looks like this:
    Panasonic-Basic-Corded-Phone-KX-SDL353842636-1-1bd65.jpg

I would prefer to have a landline too, but something with caller id though.
  • I use an iPhone 5 as my main phone. I also have a jailbroken 3GS. And 38 other smart/dumb phones.

Oh, and that good ol' landline.
  • I am currently using a OnePlus X running CyanogenMod 13.
  • iPhone 5 16GB model

1GB RAM (wikipedia told me this)

When is the iPhone 7 coming out?
  • In September, about a week after the event (whenever that'll be). I have a feeling the iPhone 7 will suck balls though. Other than the SE I don't really seem intrigued by the lineup of the iPhone nowadays.
  • I have plenty of phones, so here goes:
    Apple iPhone 2G (x2)
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Apple iPhone 4 (x2)
    Apple iPhone 4S
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung SGH something or other, runs Android 2.3
    LG Optimus F3
    Nokia Lumia 435
    Samsung Alias
    Nokia 3650
    And a few more that aren't really worth mentioning.

I can get photos to prove it if needed.

EDIT: I've got a landline and a cordless as well.
  • My main phone is a BlackBerry Classic.
    Classic-HandsOn-11-970-80.JPG
    I love the physical keyboard.
  • lhn555 wrote:
    My main phone is a BlackBerry Classic.
    Classic-HandsOn-11-970-80.JPG
    I love the physical keyboard.

Physical keyboards are great, I just wish the Apple iPhone had them as well. Would make it much more usable if they even had a software key clicker like on older AT clones.
  • AiO_Inc. wrote:
    Physical keyboards are great, I just wish the Apple iPhone had them as well. Would make it much more usable if they even had a software key clicker like on older AT clones.
    Physical keyboards on mobile makes me want to die. Then again mobile keyboards also make me want to die (except on really large phones, but those ones are impossible to fit in your pocket so I'd rather not have one).
  • i mainly use an iphone 6 plus, the main reason is because the battery, i like iOs too and im so used to it.

My past phones are a 5S, 4(very bad iPhone, the button is broken) and some cheap blackberrys.
    I've never used Windows Phone, for some time i used an LG with Android, its not bad but i prefer iOs.
  • garirry wrote:
    AiO_Inc. wrote:
    Physical keyboards on mobile makes me want to die. Then again mobile keyboards also make me want to die (except on really large phones, but those ones are impossible to fit in your pocket so I'd rather not have one).

Honestly, I'd have an iPhone 6S+ if it weren't so ungodly big.

I carry my phone in my shirt pocket, and it has to be about the size of a Palm IIIc to fit correctly, so I can't have anything bigger than my 5S.

I'd get the SE but I just don't see the value in it.

Personally, I only want a physical keyboard for the tactile response. It's not exactly satisfying to put your finger on a screen, there's gotta be some travel distance.
  • AiO_Inc. wrote:
    garirry wrote:
    AiO_Inc. wrote:

I carry my phone in my shirt pocket, and it has to be about the size of a Palm IIIc to fit correctly, so I can't have anything bigger than my 5S.

Personally, I only want a physical keyboard for the tactile response. It's not exactly satisfying to put your finger on a screen, there's gotta be some travel distance.

I myself don't like touch screens and how they feel.
  • dosbox wrote:
    AiO_Inc. wrote:
    garirry wrote:
    AiO_Inc. wrote:

I myself don't like touch screens and how they feel.

Honestly I'm fine with resistive touch screens, but not capacitive. At least you can get some feedback from the resistive displays.
  • Resistive displays also make me want to die. Seriously, they're so inaccurate and annoying to use, you have to literally press on the screen at the perfect spot. You pretty much have to use a stylus of some sort to properly control this. Capacitive feels like you don't need to press the actual content, it feels much more natural.
  • garirry wrote:
    Resistive displays also make me want to die. Seriously, they're so inaccurate and annoying to use, you have to literally press on the screen at the perfect spot. You pretty much have to use a stylus of some sort to properly control this. Capacitive feels like you don't need to press the actual content, it feels much more natural.

It's just got more tactility than a capacitive display.

Honestly, if I had my way we'd have adapters to use IBM model M's and K's for smartphones.