Norton Utilities 8.0

edited April 2020 in Product Comments

imageNorton Utilities 8.0

WinWorld is an online museum dedicated to providing free and open access to one of the largest archives of abandonware software and information on the web.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Installation failure with "Norton Utilities 8 (5-18-1994) DES (3.5)". The installer complains about Disk 2 "This disk doesn't appear to be one of the installation disks or it cannot be read because of a disk error". Looking at the disks, I notice they have no LABELS, while if I look at "Norton Utilities 8 (4-23-1994) (3.5)" they do have labels: "DISK 1OF4", "DISK 2OF4", "DISK 3OF4", "DISK 4OF4".

I tried using those same labels with the "Norton Utilities 8 (5-18-1994) DES (3.5)" release, but it made no difference. So it is a bad dump.

The "Norton Utilities 8 (4-23-1994) (3.5)" release did install without problems.

• It installed fine for me as is. Off hand I don't see anything wrong with the disk images.

• edited April 2020

@Pawn

"Norton Utilities 8 (5-18-1994) DES (3.5)" has no problem to install.
    Also this is dumped from original media.
    (I also dumped it from original and verified it.)

I doubt "Norton Utilities 8 (3-1-1994) (3.5)" and "Norton Utilities 8 (4-23-1994) (3.5)" is dumped from original?

First, I know no Boot ID:"MSDOS 3.3" exsits on Norton Utilites.
    --> I think a lot of disk images with Boot ID:"MSDOS 3.3" is uploaded on WinWorld.
    But a few of disk images seems not to be dumped from original but fake or hand-made.

Second, time stamp seems to be strange on label "labels: "DISK 1OF4", "DISK 2OF4", "DISK 3OF4", "DISK 4OF4". (No time stamp is recorded on root sector.)

• Minimum CPU is 80286, does not run on the 8086 unfortunately
  • Thanks for pointing that out. Updated the entry. Version 7.0 also requires a 286 or higher. Even a V20 won't suffice for whatever reason.
  • English versions without DES encryption are kinda "English International", versions with 'DES" were for sale in the USA and Canada only.