Windows 98 First Edition

Comments

• does anyone know what the diskette key is
  • edited September 2020
    What's going on with the CDs? At the final steps from the setup, it tells me to insert the Windows 98 CD, I insert it, and it tells me that a file is missing, I saw that the specified location was on the hard disk drive (C:) but when I changed it to the CD-ROM drive (D:) the message kept appeating, the same message appeared when I wanted to install drivers, because it said that I didnt have a specified file, I skipped those files.

Same thing happens when booting up from Windows 98 when the installation has been finished, it tells me that various .dll files weren't found, luckily it can still boot up, but it couldn't boot up perfectly with my drivers. That means it doesn't have sound, the display is set to 16 colors, and I can't connect to the Internet and browse on IE or other browsers.
  • edited September 2020
    Did you just set it to `D:\ or did you use `D:\Win98?

I usually recommend copying the files in `D:\Win98 to C:\Windows\Options\Cabs first in DOS and then running the setup from there. It saves needing the disk after that for anything else. (You'd have to make those directories first)
  • edited September 2020
    @nick99nack
    I changed just the drive
    It was like this

C:\exampledirectory
    (D:)\exampledirectory

ps: had to add parentesis to avoid making smiley.
  • All of Serial Keys for Windows 98 FE Floppy Disk are not working. Try this serial K4HVD-Q9TJ9-6CRX9-C9G68-RQ2D3 100% Working.
  • qy84q-qt6qf-gjmgy-mft4y-rcbwg worked for me with the OEM Full version
  • every product key i enter on the retail gives me a error.
  • @Siloboy987 are you sure you're installing the retail version then?
  • edited January 2021
    @DeFacto Yes i am but it still doesnt work
  • So I expanded my Windows 98 VM's display size to 1920 x 1080.
    I got a windows protection error after.
    I booted into Safe Mode, it worked fine.
    I booted into Normal Mode, it messed up badly.
    Anyone knows how to fix it?
  • I have an issue. I use virtual box and i finish installing it but then i will log on to windows its says that "Explorer has performed an e legal action and needs to shut down? Any idea's??
  • @TeddyRubyWilliam
    Windows 98 does not install easily in VirtualBox, Try using an emulator such as 86Box or PCem.
  • At this is install problem on emulator or virtual machine is Not issue.
    Windows 9x is considered on real PC (with 486 CPU or higher), not considered for Virtual machine.
  • So I installed Windows 98 on a vm but whenever I try to boot into windows, it says "While initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer." Can someone help me?
  • @JustAWindowsUser download the following hotfix:
    http://www.autourdupc.com/Logiciel/WIN98/Softs/98/312108USA8.EXE
    Extract it with 7-Zip, WinRAR or WinZip
  • @FantaShokataNerd I just have one question. How do I use it after its extracted? I don't really know a lot about vms.
  • i own WIndows 98 FE and God it sucked the Sound drivers stopped working and it kept freezing when i tried to install the sound drivers thank god im gonna downgrade win98 FE to windows 95 OSR 2 or 2.5
  • i need a retail upgrade key and they're way too hard to find
  • @Buwwix I Found It. Nevermind
  • The OEM worked well. I actually installed it on a real computer
  • i get a conventional memory error when i try to upgrade from windows 95 on a virtual machine how do i fix it
  • what is the product key?
  • there's 2 keys if you scroll up...
    anyways they are
    FXJGV-V47K8-9TKJ3-4UVBT-CTCFW
    HH872-6RM2K-FPPWV-V9HDB-BK708
  • I need a fe upgrade product key I cannot find one
  • And what I mean none of the keys work and I'm on the retail
  • I Finally found one that works. here is it: HBBHP-K3VPC-FV4PB-84RY3-BV4YX
    it should probably be in the serial up there
  • Many versions (the OEM versions) use a SE Key instead of a FE one btw