HUL OS

edited April 2005 in Software
If anyone's even remotely interested (ha!) I'm attempting (yep, notice the choice of words) to create a useable OS from scratch in assembler. I need a bit of help for some ideas of how the OS could work.

Visit http://hurstunlimited.myftp.org/projects/pub/hulos/ for more details.

Thanks (dance)!

Comments

• Aren't there any releases yet?
  • No sorry, there was a slight problem with the first kernel, namely that it crashed the stack and forced a processor reset, so I'm completely rewriting it.
  • nice 404's.

Anyway...welcome to the osdev trap. That's now 4 members who have or are attempting to devlop an os.

Me, Roger, Crasha, and now you.
  • Are these actually usable OS's or just some homework project that displayed text messages and does basic commands?
  • It will be a useable OS, once the basic kernel is made and can access hardware etc, I'll write a nice GUI for it.
  • Steve wrote:
    Are these actually usable OS's or just some homework project that displayed text messages and does basic commands?

are you and tom in cahoots or something?
  • James, how's your OS coming along?
  • BOD wrote:
    Steve wrote:
    Are these actually usable OS's or just some homework project that displayed text messages and does basic commands?

are you and tom in cahoots or something?

HaHaHaHaHaHaH!!

Maybe we should have our own Rainhill Trials with these OSes! :wink: ::D

-Q
  • Steve wrote:

its an OS if it runs by itself without windows or linux or dos or any other os and has a kernel.

But why you and Tom try to insult everyone who attempts to even try and make their own os, I am not quite sure.
    James, how's your OS coming along?

ahhhhh. Havent started redoing it yet. I'm going to work on it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I dont see you even attempting to write your own os. You just tend to critize others on everything they even are attempting to do.
  • Tomchu wrote:
    I didn't insult your "OSes", I just brought up points when it came to how you guys are developing these things.

He says he's going to write a kernel, then a write a nice GUI. Oookay then. How about this ... write a nice, modular kernel, with support for modern technologies (ACPI, AGP, UDMA 5/6, SATA, etc.), a nice base environment, then create a self-sustaining development system? Then maybe worry about a GUI.

LOL

One person *cannot* write all that. Example: Linux.
  • nightice wrote:
    Tomchu wrote:
    I didn't insult your "OSes", I just brought up points when it came to how you guys are developing these things.

He says he's going to write a kernel, then a write a nice GUI. Oookay then. How about this ... write a nice, modular kernel, with support for modern technologies (ACPI, AGP, UDMA 5/6, SATA, etc.), a nice base environment, then create a self-sustaining development system? Then maybe worry about a GUI.

LOL

One person *cannot* write all that. Example: Linux.
    Exactly....So thus we write what we want, and ignore ppl who critize our styles of os dev.

Its a hobby, not a job.
  • So Linux is a hobby OS?

LOL That explains it!
  • Linux is the only OS made together by the whole world.
  • Add "Most generally well known/Most famous" to that.

-Q
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Slash wrote:
    Linux is the only OS made together by the whole world.

Wrong. The BSDs? ReactOS? There are many more OSes developed by a world-wide community than just Linux ...

Linux just happens to be the one that's the most hacked up and lacking a professional development model.

Tom, I'm fucking sick of your rants against Linux.

Linux was made by a worldwide group of developers because it was new and different. BSD was known about. ReactOS will be a fully-compatible emulation of a well-known product.

So what if Linux doesn't have a professional development model? That doesn't make it inferior to other OSes. The kernel guys just have a different style. The distros have a more professional style and make a great product.

Just because Linux isn't developed like FreeBSD doesn't mean it sucks. Open up your mind.
  • Hey, maybe we should all cool down for a bit, and stop ranting about who developed Linux and what a useable OS is. It's pointless!

Oh and thanks for stickin up for me James, man!
  • Zenithus wrote:
    Hey, maybe we should all cool down for a bit, and stop ranting about who developed Linux and what a useable OS is. It's pointless!

It always happens when Tom or Steve enter a thread that at least partially discusses Linux.
  • Or Apples...

-Q
  • do you think they're undercover microsoft promoters, or do i read to many crime novels??
  • I don't think that personally, but you might want to keep that thought in the back of your head incase it ever comes in handy.

-Q

PS. You'll be reminded of it regularly, I'm reasonably sure...
  • Tomchu wrote:
    Once you open up your mind past the "IT"S TEH UBER L337 AND ITS DA BEST CUZ IT"S LINXUZ!111!!" stage
    I'm far past that.
    For instance, it's unacceptable that there are still driver compatibility issues when it comes to even the slightest difference in kernel versions
    It's not too hard to rebuild the driver (assuming it's part of the kernel source)
    or that anything can break at any point for god knows what reasons (both a friend and I have experienced corruption of binaries on two different distros on two different systems after every reboot -- UNACCEPTABLE).
    Guess what - a rare occurence. 99% of Linux users have never had it happen. I never even heard of it.
    You can either deal with that or you can proclaim that it is a piece of shit and use a real OS. I chose the second. Sadly, many people tuck the negatives away hoping they'll go away, and proclaim its superiority.
    STFU. I don't see many people using FreeBSD as their main workstation OS.
  • ENOUGH RANTS ABOUT BOTH! THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT HUL OS, NOT LINUX, OR FREEBSD.

Let us discuss Hul OS instead, and lets not bash it, but more so give helpful sugestions.
  • Linux is *SHIT* in and of itself. I'm not comparing it to anything else when I say it's SHIT. It just *is*.

there u go agaiin passing your opinions onto everyone else
    ENOUGH RANTS ABOUT BOTH! THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT HUL OS, NOT LINUX, OR FREEBSD.

Let us discuss Hul OS instead, and lets not bash it, but more so give helpful sugestions.

look who's talking ::roll:
  • BOD wrote:
    Linux is *SHIT* in and of itself. I'm not comparing it to anything else when I say it's SHIT. It just *is*.

there u go agaiin passing your opinions onto everyone else
    ENOUGH RANTS ABOUT BOTH! THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT HUL OS, NOT LINUX, OR FREEBSD.

look who's talking ::roll:

Yeah... I know ::roll: