Windows 98 Second Edition

13»

Comments

• @PinkRei said:
    When I install from the top OEM (full) I get an error message saying "the SHELL32.DLL file is linked to missing export SHLWAPI.DLL:tFileAttributesA." when I dismiss the error, Explorer says it has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. Every solution I've found for this involves doing things in file explorer, which I cannot get to because this happens before I even get to the desktop for the first time. What the hell is causing this and how can I fix it?

Specs? Hopefully it's not on a 2.1gHz or 1024MB RAM or greater since Windows 98 is not meant to handle those specs.

• The 2.1 GHz limit was natively fixed in 98SE. 512 MB is the safe maximum though unless you buy a patch. You can boot with up to 1154 MB although you may need to adjust cache settings in system.ini.

Newer processor architecture (like Ryzen) are apparently starting to struggle with 16-bit code and consequently Windows 9x. You should try using a proper emulator such as PCem on newer hardware.

• Whenever I run setup, A screen saying "Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows." appears. What can I do?

• edited April 6

@win32 said:
    The 2.1 GHz limit was natively fixed in 98SE. 512 MB is the safe maximum though unless you buy a patch. You can boot with up to 1154 MB although you may need to adjust cache settings in system.ini.

Newer processor architecture (like Ryzen) are apparently starting to struggle with 16-bit code and consequently Windows 9x. You should try using a proper emulator such as PCem on newer hardware.

The problem has been fixed in 2nd gen ryzen processors. 1st gen ryzens has a problem with VME (Virtual 8086 mode enhancements) , VME was a undocumented feature and was implemented with later 486 processors , it wasn't documented until p6 microarchitecture ( pentium pro) came out . VME isn't required since it was undocumented , if Amd knew VME didn't work correctly they shouldn't have enabled the flag in the processor , that tells programs the cpu has the feature.

• Windows 98SE turned 20 today. Many will remember it fondly for being one of the more solid constituents of the win9x line, and one that is rightfully a staple of retro gaming PCs with good USB 2.0 support as well as compatibility for everything up to the early core 2 duo era.

Unfortunately it's now out of the running for modern web browsing (unless someone has gotten New Moon to run with KernelEx).

• Well then its good i'm doing what i'm doing then. It will expand our collection massively. Nobody in the entire fucking world has ever even thought about doing this.

I've already cracked:

3 Compaq's
    3 eMachines
    1 Gateway

And if you include the one that BSOD's on boot then its 4 Compaq's. That one was Windows XP.

• edited May 25

@Mr-Uch said:
    Whenever I run setup, A screen saying "Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows." appears. What can I do?

1. Turn on the PC.
    2. Put the command fdisk, if you disk is larger than 512 MB.
    3. In all questions, put the option 1.