Windows 98 Second Edition

13»

Comments

• Windows 98SE turned 20 today. Many will remember it fondly for being one of the more solid constituents of the win9x line, and one that is rightfully a staple of retro gaming PCs with good USB 2.0 support as well as compatibility for everything up to the early core 2 duo era.

Unfortunately it's now out of the running for modern web browsing (unless someone has gotten New Moon to run with KernelEx).

• Well then its good i'm doing what i'm doing then. It will expand our collection massively. Nobody in the entire fucking world has ever even thought about doing this.

I've already cracked:

3 Compaq's
    3 eMachines
    1 Gateway

And if you include the one that BSOD's on boot then its 4 Compaq's. That one was Windows XP.

• edited May 25

@Mr-Uch said:
    Whenever I run setup, A screen saying "Cannot create a temporary directory. If you have HPFS or NTFS installed on your hard drive, you will need to create an MS-DOS boot partition to set up Windows." appears. What can I do?

1. Turn on the PC.
    2. Put the command fdisk, if you disk is larger than 512 MB.
    3. In all questions, put the option 1.
  • If you cannot get windows 98 to install, due to error: windows 98 vmware player shell32.dll is linked to missing export shlwapi.dll or just cant get it to install at all, try this:

Download the already made vm here:

https://winworldpc.com/download/3dc3943c-c386-18c3-9a11-c3a4e284a2ef

Then instead of logging into the main account click cancel at the logon screen. You will get sevreal errors, just click ok until you get to the desktop. Then right click my computer, go to performance > file system > troubleshooting > and checkmark disable all 32 bit protected mode drivers. Restart and the errors should go away.

You should now have a proper working windows 98 VM now.

• No matter what key I put in for the retail full version, it doesn't work. Any ideas?

• WANTED: FRENCH VERSION

• is this compatible with ryzen 9