Windows ME Final

edited November 2017 in Product Comments

imageWindows ME Final

Read the full story here

Comments

• I love how all the screenshots for ME are a blue screen XD. honestly though its quite accurate

• We actually need real screenshots though... but why was ME famed for its BSOD's anyway?

• Read the product description, it explains why ME was unstable. Eventually, one of these days, perhaps I'll touch up the OS screenshots.

• edited December 2017

@SomeGuy said:
    Read the product description, it explains why ME was unstable. Eventually, one of these days, perhaps I'll touch up the OS screenshots.

It was unstable because of being a 9x system, so if Neptune got renamed to Windows ME and got released, then it would be considered better than Vista RTM.

But jokes aside, if you want this to run stable use PCem. It might run a little slow but it will run faster and better than 98 FE and XP (but slightly worse in 98 SE in boot speed).

• The Slovenian (NFR) is actually a Upgrade CD from Windows 98 (Slovenian). Don't be fooled.

• Thanks for reporting that. Added a note to the download for now.

• I never figured out why peoples says Windows ME was evil. I used to have had no trouble in the past.

• edited April 2018

@MacInTosh said:
    I never figured out why peoples says Windows ME was evil. I used to have had no trouble in the past.

Huh, guessed you never used long enough. Windows ME was poorly made, leaving the Operating system unstable and crashes or lockup. Thing like Active Desktop, IE, Windows Media Player and even the OS it self crashes. It was usually caused by poor driver support.

• o.m.g nice catches, yes I remember those problems, all for bad drivers. 99% of the problems were per driver. The pass from 98 to ME was a terrible conflict of controllers, little or no support for ME.

If you manage to obtain a stable controller, it would reduce the problem, it would not solve it, only that the blue screens will persist after the prolonged use of the system. The one who used it knows what I say. I mean, you never have a guarantee that it's okay.

I remember that it was a terrible problem for the clients, you leave the apparently stable system, you leave the place and the hell begins. HAHAHA!.

I think it is the operating system more problematic than the "Windows 98se".

The "Windows 98se" next to "ME", the "Windows 98se" is a solid rock hahaha.

Of course, when Windows 2000 appears, this was a solid steel.

• As stated in the product description, vendors were supposed to update their drivers for ME. But since ME was a dead end, and 9x drivers mostly worked, they didn't. Hence more conflicts and crashes.

• And with that said, we would've seen Windows Neptune instead of that trash.

But the funny thing is though, ME seems to be more responsive under a VM, or maybe it was just me.

• Where is the simplified Chinese versions of 98 and ME? Could someone find and upload them (if they existed) please?

• @SomeGuy said:
    9x drivers mostly worked, they didn't. Hence more conflicts and crashes.

Exactly what happens when manufacturers try to shoehorn one thing into another. At least it works fine on a VM.

• Somehow I can't get the Swedish version of Windows ME to install, not even with a bootdisk! Is something wrong?

• @ShermanRetroWindowsFan Can you be more specific? What problem are you having and at what point of the installation? Are you not able to get into setup? Is there an error in the middle of setup? Does it not boot after install? Are you installing into a virtual machine (if so, which one) or onto a real PC?

I can't get the ISO to mount in VirtualBox, but it does mount through Alcohol 52%. There's either something wrong with the ISO or with VirtualBox's ISO support. I formatted the virtual drive (using MS-DOS 6.22), mounted the floppy and my Alcohol 52% drive on VirtualBox.

Once it booted it told me the setup files were not found, so I changed to D: drive and ran install.exe with default options and without creating a boot floppy and using the first serial listed on the Windows ME page. Everything else went fine.

• I get a ISO-9660 Error

• @SomeGuy said:
    Eventually I will update the OS screen shots, but I plan to leave one BSOD here just for yucks.

If you're looking for new screenshots for Windows ME, I have some good suggestions for them.

• What is MSDN????

• MSDN = MicroSoft Developer Network. A subscription to have access to many MS tools and OSes to develop apps

• edited October 2018

It's interesting to think about how Windows ME probably would have been just as stable as 98 if MS had just kept their mouths shut about the 9x dead-end.

• Actually, 9x was already pretty unstable ever since the release of 98FE. 98SE fixed a few of the problems, but ME retained a few new instabilities later. Microsoft was planning to merge 9x with NT anyways with Neptune (which eventually was merged with Odyssey to create Whistler).

• Most PC owners that had a PC that included ME just switched to 98SE or even 2000... It was just that the drivers for 98 weren't for ME.

• Windows Me in general was an improvement over 98SE on my ThinkPad T41. Faster boot times and overall more stable, that is until I tried to install a USB 2.0 driver stack.

I couldn't find a Windows Me equivalent for NUSB, so I just extracted the inf and drivers from the executable; the drivers worked perfectly in 98SE.

But in Me, inserting a flash drive blue screened the laptop, so did attempting to update or uninstall the driver for the USB hub in normal mode. Both OSes also had a bug where file transfer operations would freeze everything else; a hotfix exists but I'm not sure of its name.

After 45 minutes of this debacle, Windows 2000 SP4 was sitting comfortably in my slimline DVD-RW drive, wiping all remnants of classic Windows' darkest days.

• @win32 it could have been because the usb 2.0 driver wasn't compatible with Windows ME.

• edited October 2018

@win32 Windows ME comes with a USB Mass Storage driver already, so you didn't need NUSB. If you still need a USB 2.0 driver, a Google search for "usb 2.0 driver windows me" should pull up some relevant results.

Windows 9x (regardless of the version) is generally not as stable as NT, so it's actually normal for Windows 2000 to be more reliable than both 98SE and ME. If you have some games/programs that work on 9x but not on NT, you can always try to dual-boot.

• Windows Me ISO in Polish in case anyone cares. Full version, most likely OEM. https://mega.nz/#!NMtyCSaL!HwjSQyxT8fgBukiVTKfMwu_BUgl1LG3esg9Cm9ks7ZQ

• edited February 2019

Here's an interesting (and sad) fact: Windows Me shipped with a beta version of IE 5.5 (and consequently the shell).

And use this program to remove unneeded OS components like with the paid version of 98lite:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20060829073935/www.beta10.com/oppcomme.htm

• I need help with Oracle VM VirtualBox.

I have installed and started ME (German OEM version), but when I click on "VirtualBox GuestAdditions"
    to install it I get an error message that it can not be installed.
    It also happened with Windows 98 Special Edition (German).

Any ideas who uses VirtualBox emulator and had same problems?

• Guest Additions will only work with win 2000 or later.
    For video drivers you can use scitech display doctor vesa drivers and for shared folders you can set up networking with normales shared drives/folders.